4 weeks post op and stomach swelling

Posted , 74 users are following.

Hi I am 4 weeks after a abdominal hysterectomy (still got ovaries).  I thought I had been recovering well with no pain and no complications until now.  I have started to experience stabbing(stinging) pains around my incision and my stomach swells by the end of the day.  I am not lifting but walking around a lot.  Could it be that??

Thanks

0 likes, 131 replies

131 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh wow I will be 4 weeks Friday I've got the same thing sounds like you have!! I've got pelvic pain and stinging and so swelled by the end of day just pure hurt! I had surgery June 10th they removed 8 lbs if uterine fibroids took all but overies 4+ hour surgery but having the same issues you are having!

I had extra appointment today due to same issues my gyn said major surgery lots of stitches inside I did lots of work inside she said it's all normal will take time but wow seems to just take lots of patience from somewhere !!

• Posted

Stinging is the nerves healing dr told me also! Good luck
  • Posted

I am no doctor but I remember being a bit impatient about getting back my flat stomach and honestly it took some time after I had the 17 tumors removed.  I had a bikini cut and it was swollen for a bit.  I think it was about 8 weeks before it was a lot flatter.  I was told walking around was a good thing for the healing. I remember having pains on and off as well.  I wish you the best. 
  • Posted

Hi Tracy,

What you experience is normal. I had the same surgery 4 months ago. It will take sometime before you fully recover. I still have pain around pelvic area after exercise. I checked with my doctor and he mentioned that recovery differ from one person to another. For me, it takes longer to recover.

Take care

• Posted

Thanks Sue that has put my mind at rest.  I still think 4 weeks on my scar is going to open up. Crackers I know.

Tracey

• Posted

4 weeks is very early days. The swelly belly will be around for a lot longer - esp after over doing it or even just a long day.....7 months post op and it is still a daily occurance (esp toward end if day).  As another lady said, everyone's recovery is diff...give yourself best recovery you can to help prevent later probs. So rest, rest and more rest, even when it drives you crackers. Best wishes

• Posted

I'm 10 weeks post op and I still having swelling, my belly is still sore if I do to much, I've just gone back to work part time I did half day Monday full day Tuesday when I got home Tuesday my stomach was sore and swollen and very moody lol I'm off today and been sleeping a lot  hope you feel better soon 

• Posted

You need to ask about a yeast infection . I had one and they didn't detect it and it prevented the interior stitches from healing.

• Posted

Thanks its reassuring to read al these replies..I'm three weeks post abdominal hysterectomy..also have ovaries left in..things have been going really well but starting to worry about my swollen tight tummy..and its lead me to this forum..I'm walking about but can't go very fast as I'm still feeling quite uncomfortable.. and my skin hurts from the incision up for several inches? Is this normal? I'm finding its better if I don't wear underwear and only loose baggy pants..being very careful with my diet as I don't want yo struggle with constipation too!

• Posted

Today is 4wks to the very day for me. I also had my gallbladder removed back in April. With this surgery 4 wks ago they took everything but my ovaries. Discovered I have endometriosis and something I've never heard of and I'm told is a result of scar tissue from my emergency C-Section back in 2010.  Pelvic Adhesive Disease and they had to remove a lot!!!! I am still having constant pain in my lower abdomin and upper right quadrant my abdomin I have intermitten sharp pains and dull pain when I take a deep breath. Constapation and/or difficulty with #2 only going every 2 to 3 days. sad I want to feel better, not worse. I've been down and depressed as well. I sure hope it get's better soon. 

• Posted

Are you taking a stool softener?

I am 4 weeks post op, abdominal, and take a stool softener every day. And metamucil. Also, LOTS OF FLUIDS

• Posted

Today is 4wks to the very day for me. I also had my gallbladder removed back in April. With this surgery 4 wks ago they took everything but my ovaries. Discovered I have endometriosis and something I've never heard of and I'm told is a result of scar tissue from my emergency C-Section back in 2010.  Pelvic Adhesive Disease and they had to remove a lot!!!! I am still having constant pain in my lower abdomin and upper right quadrant my abdomin I have intermitten sharp pains and dull pain when I take a deep breath. Constapation and/or difficulty with #2 only going every 2 to 3 days. sad I want to feel better, not worse. I've been down and depressed as well. I sure hope it get's better soon. 

• Posted

Today is 4 wks to the day for me also. Some days I feel like I'm getting better, almost like I take 2 steps forward & 1 step back. I had my rt ovary taken bc of cysts & found out that I had a condition of the uterus called adenomyosis. I was always suffering 1.5 wks before my cycle started! I also have facet arthritis in my back which would always be worse during that time. I suffered from endo in the past (4 laproscopies). I'm still having the swelly belly & tightness. I can't remember what my belly looked like before! I'm still having to wear loose clothing. I went to the dr last week & I knew she was going to check my incisions, but knew there was no way she'd examine me. Boy was I wrong! She checked my stitches inside & I was sore for 3 days afterwards. I never experienced all the bleeding I was warned about, but I do have to wear something jic I spot. I started taking a stool softener about a week before surgery which really helped. Even not having to push very much can hurt! I understand how you're feeling. I have also been depressed. I feel like I've had period symptoms forever! I started cramping 2 weeks before surgery & can you believe my body had the nerve to start my period the morning of surgery?! How dare those evil parts! So uncomfortable symptoms before surgery, then recovering from the worst part of surgery & at the end of the month I started having symptoms again! It seems like for a week I have been cramping, having migraines, very sore breasts & back pain. Before surgery, I heard a million times that I would feel so much better. Well, I'm still waiting. After reading some other posts, it looks like I need to force my impatient self to be patient. I'm new to this forum & thought I would answer you bc you & are in the same boat. My surgery was 7/12. I sure hope everything starts getting better for you (cheesygrinbut I feel likesad).

• Posted

Hi Tracey i'm having the same as you i am 4weeks today. It makes me feel better seeong its not just me. I also get a bit of pain lower down which comes and goes. Have been told because it was abdominal it will take between 6 to 8 weeks. Swelling can take a few months to go. Hope you start to feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi Kerry, I am so glad to have found this site and your post. I had my hysterectomy 3 weeks ago , recovering well just swelley belly feeling full all the time and sore stingy pains. And just frustration ha ha , i am still off from my job still. I have my ovaries still as they said i am young ( 45) is that young ? . I am also interested to see if any one sufered from catamenial seizures and has had this op to help. I had fibroids aswell as heavy long bleeds. Touch wood no seizures up to now. Wish you well.
    • Posted

hi my name is Eve, I had abdo hysterictomy as well due to fibroids and heavy bleeding during periods. It's my 4weeks post op and 3weeks ago my recoveey is doing so well but after 3weeks I been getting like stabbing pain in my stomach and my belly is hard sometimes its hard to touch and its worse when I have wind inside it hurts really bad. Im worried that there is something wrong inside like maybe the stiches come undone or something. I hope theres nothing wrong....

• Posted

How did this turn out for you because I am having the saaame issue.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.