4 weeks post op and stomach swelling

Posted , 74 users are following.

Hi I am 4 weeks after a abdominal hysterectomy (still got ovaries).  I thought I had been recovering well with no pain and no complications until now.  I have started to experience stabbing(stinging) pains around my incision and my stomach swells by the end of the day.  I am not lifting but walking around a lot.  Could it be that??

Thanks

0 likes, 131 replies

131 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello, I am 4 weeks po. I too am having stinging sharp pains, weak, and hot flashes at night as well. Sometimes I get dizzy but not sick. I'm 34 yrs old and I'm on my second surgery now. The first time I had mass the size of a watermelon on left ovary and cysts on right ovary. They were able to remove all of them on right ovary but had to take the left one completely. 7 months later I had developed blood cysts on right ovary. Each time of the month it was causing the blood cysts. So they took my uterus and half of my right ovary. I am impatient and ready to get back to normal. My stomach is sore and tender, a lot of the time too. I have to sleep with underwear only at night because the hot flashes are so bad!!! Baby powder all over ,and a fan seems to help some. I go to Drs tomorrow so I will see what they say. Feel better ladies!

• Posted

hello i just had the same thing done and its been 1 week today so far . yes u must take it easy because it can get worse and u can get a hernia so take it easy for the rest of your healing .. i was doing it since i been home but i now see why my stomach gets that way . we are pulling the muscle ..

• Posted

4 weeks ago to this day I had my an abdominal hysterectomy, with my ovaries, and fallopian tubes removed. I also had a rectocele performed. I have sharp stabbing/aching pain on my right lower abdomen, right hip, and right lower back. I'm going to physical therapy for bladder issues, and the pain I'm experiencing. I take 600mg motrin every 6 hours, which help, but it seems if I do, just a little too much, I'm hurting and the motrin doesn't take effect. I have seen my doctor for my 2 week post-op, this is why I'm going to PT. I was also supposed to be back at work by May 7th, and not I'm looking at May 21st. I have also discovered a huge bulge on my right upper abdomen, which my doctor couldn't figure out. We are keeping an eye on this situation. Give it time, everyone is different. Just follow the docs orders, and do what he says.

• Posted

hi

the swelling can last up to 6 months plus hun. your body has had a lit of pushing,pulling,cutting and stitching.

I had tvh and I'm very slim but it still took 6 months p,us to return back to normal size.

try not to worry about it.

• Posted

I am two and one half weeks in recovery from a total hysterectomy with also bilateral removal of ovaries and fallopian tubes. I am in mid sixties and had a tumor by one ovary and swelling by the other and also new growth in uterus. Prior to removal, my uterus had old fibroids inside and attached to outside that I had chosen to leave and wait for them to disintegrate following menopause. Fortunately, no cancer was found. My abdominal area is swollen and does seem to increase as the day progresses. The incision areas are sore but do not look infected. I had vaginal surgery with robotic assistance.

I really miss my daily walks with my dogs and had thought I could resume them after four weeks, maybe six weeks at most. I am beginning to doubt that now. One of them is eighty pounds and the other is about thirty. I must walk them on a leash, and can not guarantee that at some point in our walks that they may get excited and pull hard. I am a little disappointed that the information provided to me before and after surgery, was not up-front about the swelling, continued incision site discomfort, and length of recovery time. Finding this site and the postings of other women, following their procedures, is a reassurance that what I am experiencing is "normal".

Does anyone have an explanation of why our abdominal areas experience swelling during the day and/or things we can do or avoid, or things we can consume or avoid consuming that may help to reduce or manage the swellings?

• Posted

no strenuous activity till at least 6 weeks .. but please reme it takes your body 12 wks to make strong scar tissue to hold everything in place.

you are st risk of prolapse if yiu do too much. I refrain from walking heavy dogs for at least 3 months as yiu are still healing internally.

the more your on your feet the more swollen you will become I the evening.

rest as much as your can and yiu will be fine. one chance of recovery yiu have.

good luck

• Posted

I'm at 4.5 weeks. My doctor explained the pain that cut nerves produce. They shoot signals that go nowhere and it causes a lot of stabbing pain. Don't forget that organs have to shift and adjust too. The stretching causing pain as well. I had a 2.5 lb fibroid removed along with my uterus, tubes, and cervix. That's a lot of trauma to our bodies.

The swelly belly is painful as well. An abdominal binder helps a lot. I have it a little tight during the day and loosen it a bit at night. They sell some good ones at Amazon. My doctor suggested I use it for at least 8 weeks, but recommended wearing it at home after work for 12 weeks or longer.

My doctor said not to expect to feel "normal" for at least 6 months. She said many patients don't feel "normal" for an entire year.

I get discouraged as well because I still feel like I did 2 weeks ago but remind myself that I will no longer suffer with heavy periods. I will no longer miss out on outings or miss work because of my period. I hated being a prisoner in my own home because I had to change pads every 20 - 30 minutes. The accidents were too much!

Hang in there with me!

• Posted

I believe this thread is 3 years old hun. yiur doctor is correct in timing 1 year is about right. it's a hell of a trip but we end up stronger for it.

keep it up hunxx

• Posted

Thanks. I was actually trying to reply to Amanda. Not sure what went wrong. Pain killers? lol

• Posted

This was a great explanation. I'm 3 weeks post and getting those sharp shooting pains all over the place. Oddly one on entire left side of body - which I'm just hoping is related to the surgery and not a hernia or something.

I'm glad I found this forum and what you wrote because I had the laparoscopic hysterectomy and everything I found online was saying 2 weeks! I'm like no way!!

And yes, thinking about what life was like before this is a good reminder to be patient.

• Posted

I'm approaching week 7 and they have finally started to subside. I'm still very tender though. My belly is still swollen. It hasn't gone done at all yet, but I had an abdominal hysterectomy, so it will take longer. My right side hurts more, so it's probably just surgery related. Hang in there.

• Posted

I am 4 weeks today. my swelling has went down dramatically but I have noticed that my stomach hurts as soon as I realize I need to go to the bathroom. last night I was laying in bed and felt a bump about the size of a quarter about 2inches above my incision site and it hurts to touch. I have no idea what this could be? ovaries? i am ready to get back to everyday normal life. seems the recovery part takes a while.

• Posted

I'm 8 weeks into abdominal. I was feeling much better at 4 weeks, than I do now.

At six weeks I developed a bump above my incision and one on my lower left side. At 7 weeks I swelled up again and developed a discharge. I'm having a CT done tomorrow to see what is going on since tests for infection came back negative. Right now I feel like I did at week 2.

I recommend going to the doc and having the bumps checked out before you end up like me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.