4 weeks post TKR and think i'm doing ok ?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi All,

This is my first post and I would be interested to hear any thoughts that fellow TKR patients have.

I am 47 in 2 weeks and have suffered for about 10 years with joint trouble. I had various scrapes and drills and arthroscopies etc on both knees over the 10 years of increasing pain. Eventually joint pain became like a form of tourettes syndrome for me and I would shout out in pain in the middle of a supermarket startling shoppers as bone met bare bone.

I eventually had a Uni compartmental replacement 6 years ago on my right knee and I slowly recovered quite well but regret not rehabilitating properly as I had just started a new job. My left knee had worn badly and following 2 minor ops the consultant suggested a TKR late last year. I was very reluctant at first as I'm 46 years old and very young for the full op. He told me however that he had done 10 ops in 12 months on people of my age which did reasure me.

4 weeks post op and I think that I am doing OK. Day 2 was horrendous as the physio warned me it would be the worst day. I could not even lift my leg off the bed and I wondered what I had let myself in for. I can say that the following day was much better and each day following it has improved. Today 4 weeks on I have walked better than ever (with just the slightest hint of a limp not used crutches for 2 weeks). I keep up with painkillers every 6 hours or so and also exercise and stretch as I should. If I do too much my body lets me know and I struggle the next day.

One real issue for me are the compression stockings ! I hate them and they leave deep ring around my leg just below the knee. Surely that can't be right ? I have left them off this morning and I wondered if that would cause me problems ? I am wearing them 24/7 otherwise.

I work in the Midlands 70 miles from my home in the North West and I travel there and back 4 days a week. I am itching to give it a go as I drive an automatic but I think it may be too soon as I can spend up to 3 hours at times in trafffic. Does anyone have a similar commute ?

Sorry for the chapter and verse !

Mike

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Mike, I personally think it's too early to be contemplating that sort of daily journey. I also drive an automatic and in a way it's worse because I was not using the operated leg it was stuck in one position and  would become stiff and ache. Even as a passenger long car journeys needed several breaks.  I went back to work at 4 months  but still found it tiring and since then have suffered a back spasm which my Doctor thinks was perhaps going back too soon.   It's a big op and the body needs time to recover :-)

p.s the stockings are uncomfortable and I have a scar on one leg from wearing them but I was too scared to stop wearing them until the 6 weeks in case of DVT :-)

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Suzanne, I think you are right about the car journey, I may just try one day and see how that is then work from home for a few days (luckily I can do that!). I will check with the consultant as my follow up is on the 2nd March. I will cheak the insurance too.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Mike , I am 10 weeks in and never had the compression stockings , I even flew to Asia for work after six weeks and my surgeon did not feel necessary to wear even on the flight. So am unsure why they think still necessary for you (I am 54). I was also driving after three weeks , automatic too but was my right knee.

Best of luck

• Posted

Hi David,

They insisted upon them and it's in all of the literature I was given and in write ups on the web too !

I have noticed that they are not neccessary in the USA and I wondered why !

I am sure that a day off won't hurt and I have only 2 weeks to endure ! I will take them off when I can't handle it !

The worst thing is that I am an all year around wearer of shorts when i'm not working even with the UK climate. The white stockings are not exactly a great look!!

• Posted

Am sure u look cool Mike 😀. Each surgeon is different of course, am sure a few days without them will be fine , never did me any harm without them , sure will be the same for my second TKR in 7 weeks !
    • Posted

Wow, Good luck with that David and thanks for the vote of confidence. It feels good not having them on for a day ! I will wear then tonight though, very attractive for my wife !!

Mike

• Posted

I'm in the US and about 18 years ago when I had 5 knee surgeries done, I got the compression stocking treatment. Now though many places here have gone to the compressed air leg squeezers. I'm sure they have a name but I don't know what it is smile  For my tkr I woke up from surgery with them already squeezing away and they stayed on the whole time. When I came home they convinced me to buy battery operated ones to do the same thing and I used them for another 3 weeks or so. My husband recently had hiatial hernia surgery and they had them on him too while he was in the hospital. Much more pleasant to wear than those stockings!
  • Posted

Another p.s.... You may want to check with yr consultant as mine advised you could drive after 6 weeks, not sure if car insurance will cover you if you drive before then, may be worth checking out?
  • Posted

Hello

i had compression stockings but thigh length and they really helped the swelling. Knee length are useless. They put knee length on me in hospital and my consultant had a fit. Get some thigh ones. I hated them but they helped and i still wear them if my leg is very swollen. I am 10 weeks and nowwhere near driving yet.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Sally, I will take a look at what is available. I have physio on Friday too so I will ask them.

Good luck with your recovery.

Mike

• Posted

Mine were called graduated compression stockings and were green. I put them on this eve in fact as my leg was so swollen and its amazing how much of the heaviness of my leg they took away.
  • Posted

Hi Mike, Like you I had a very fast recovery and like you suffered with the socks! My consultant is fanatical about wearing them, so I went along with it hating every moment.  I saw him at four weeks and because I was so active he allowed me to finish with the socks, shear bliss!!  He also agreed that I could start driving, but to take it slowly and stay off motorways until I had been driving a week or so.  To be covered by your insurance you must have your consultants agreement to drive.  I am 11 weeks now and doing longish journeys, but not every day.  I do find my leg is quite stiff following a long journey and I am tired the next day,  I think you should first talk to your surgeon and then ease back into driving as you feel comfortable to do so.
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice Liz,

I will take it on board as I don't want to go backwards. Until Sunday just gone I had been struggling with the bend of the knee but I seem to have made a bit of a breakthrough in the last few days. I can get 95 degrees and know that I can push it on further. I was really worried that I may have to have it manipulated as I was getting less then 90. I am told that I could get up to 120 degrees because I am still young possible even better. I will just keep steadily increasing the push without over doing it. How is the bend with your Knee ?

Mike

• Posted

Hi Mike, I am one of the lucky ones, (although I give most of the credit to my brilliant surgeon) I left hospital with 0 straightening and 110 bend.  Now at 11 weeks I have 150 bend and have this afternoon climbed over a five bar gate and walked through long grass up a massive hill on a two mile walk with the dogs.  That said, I still can't walk up stairs properly (still use one leg hop) and can only manage down the stairs using proper gait with careful guidence from the banister, and my tendons can be quite painful at times. My surgeon has signed me off as recovered, and says the stairs will come in due course and the tendons will be fine.biggrin
    • Posted

Hi Liz , am also doing well I think and stairs no problem for me. I am interested in your comment about 150degree bend. I was told the hardware will only allow a bend to 130 maximum ? How do u measure the bend ?
    • Posted

Not sure how the bend was measured, my surgeon did it when I went for my last appointment, and that is what he said I had, but, he pushed my leg right back so that my calf was all but touching the back of my thigh, and it hurt like hell!!eek I haven't even attempted to push it that far again, but I do have a very full range of movement and will ask my physio how he got it to that when I see her next Tuesday, and report back!
    • Posted

Hi Liz,

That is amazing and gives me something to aim for. Here I am thinking that 95 degrees was ok !!!! Right at this moment I cannot imagine my calf getting anywhere near to touching the back of my thigh, in fact the thought makes me cringe !

Must do better is the thought of the day !

Thanks

Mike

• Posted

Ifind going down the stairs infinitely more difficult than going up  (six weeks tomorrow)  I can manage upwards more or less normally (although slowly ) but I just can't seem to go down more than one at a time . . Hope I can do all those things at eleven weeks, but somehow doubt it!!!!  Well done. . . 
    • Posted

I've been going upstairs normally then coming down backwards. Last night for the first time I came down forwards - quite a milestone. It's because you need more bend to come down forwards. 90 degrees will get you up, but not down. I'm at 14 weeks now - 2 weeks post manipulation.
    • Posted

I 've got the bend, but just can't do it, and yet, yesterday I climbed a five bar gate!  I am off to the stairs now for a good practice!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.