4 weeks post TKR and think i'm doing ok ?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi All,

This is my first post and I would be interested to hear any thoughts that fellow TKR patients have.

I am 47 in 2 weeks and have suffered for about 10 years with joint trouble. I had various scrapes and drills and arthroscopies etc on both knees over the 10 years of increasing pain. Eventually joint pain became like a form of tourettes syndrome for me and I would shout out in pain in the middle of a supermarket startling shoppers as bone met bare bone.

I eventually had a Uni compartmental replacement 6 years ago on my right knee and I slowly recovered quite well but regret not rehabilitating properly as I had just started a new job. My left knee had worn badly and following 2 minor ops the consultant suggested a TKR late last year. I was very reluctant at first as I'm 46 years old and very young for the full op. He told me however that he had done 10 ops in 12 months on people of my age which did reasure me.

4 weeks post op and I think that I am doing OK. Day 2 was horrendous as the physio warned me it would be the worst day. I could not even lift my leg off the bed and I wondered what I had let myself in for. I can say that the following day was much better and each day following it has improved. Today 4 weeks on I have walked better than ever (with just the slightest hint of a limp not used crutches for 2 weeks). I keep up with painkillers every 6 hours or so and also exercise and stretch as I should. If I do too much my body lets me know and I struggle the next day.

One real issue for me are the compression stockings ! I hate them and they leave deep ring around my leg just below the knee. Surely that can't be right ? I have left them off this morning and I wondered if that would cause me problems ? I am wearing them 24/7 otherwise.

I work in the Midlands 70 miles from my home in the North West and I travel there and back 4 days a week. I am itching to give it a go as I drive an automatic but I think it may be too soon as I can spend up to 3 hours at times in trafffic. Does anyone have a similar commute ?

Sorry for the chapter and verse !

Mike

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I also think it's way too early for that length of commute, you would be sitting in one position for a long time and you'd also have to check re insurance

Ive had a hip replacement as well as a TKR and have never worn compression stockings my surgeon doesn't believe in them smile 

• Posted

A hip and TKR means! that you have been through the mill ! It is strange that some consultants have different ideas.

I will take on board what eveyone is telling me and be careful re the driving !

Thanks

Mike

• Posted

We are all different but as for me, I could never have handled the trip on a regular basis especially the return trip after a days work. As far as the hose........I was made wear them after the tkr and the revision. When I 1st went into this I was told the 2 most dangerous things about the surgery,,,,,,blood clots and staph. The combination of the shots in the belly and pills later on plus the hose were essential for blood clot prevention. However, as I recall, they took them off a couple of times a day for relief. The other thing to keep in mind, an accident. Being involved in a rear end accident and jamming the knee could really set you back. I was in good shape and moving well last Oct when I let a kidney infection get the best of me causing a drastic drop in BP and I collapsed on my knees and forehead. I split my head open on a hardwood floor but didn't think I hurt my knee......wrong.....3 weeks later pain started and now I'm back in PT. It's caused a pocket of fluid that inflammed the entire joint. I had to have it drained this week and am expecting a repeat next month. So, any thing you can do to lessen chance of secondary injury, the better off you are.
  • Posted

Hi Mike, I am also 4 wks post rgt knee tkr. Some days I have really good knee bends and little pain. Whilst other days very stiff and painful to do most exercises. I am hoping it will all gradually get better. Now only seeing the physio 2 weekly, rather weekly. Having other knee done in a month or so. Wanting to use swimming pool to do exercises in maybe next week. Don,t know if anyone else has done that.
    • Posted

Hi Mandy,

Very brave with another straight away but so they tell me the second is less stressful because you know what to expect.

I want to go swimming too and the scar has virtually healed just a tiny bit of scab left in one area. I was told by the nurses to wait until the scar was fully healed to avoid infection.

I do find some days better than others but the last 3 days have been the best so far, so fingers crossed. Good luck with the 2nd op and I am sure that you will improve every day.

Best Wishes

Mike

• Posted

I'm 3 weeks out from TKR and doing pretty well.  They tell me I'm doing really well but I gotta tell you the nights are still hell, meds or no.  My range of motion and walking with a cane are pretty good.  I asked my PT about the stockings.  He said typically people were dying to get them off but from all of my years with knee damage I've always had some sort of brace on and he suggested that my want to wear the hose may just be a psychological thing.  I'm even refraining from doing a cross dressing joke here.   To me it seems they shore up the knee joint and keep the swelling down.  I do ice and elevate immediately after taking them off.  I hope this is relevant in some way to this post.  These posts, for me anyway, are kind of uplifting.  I see a lot of people going thru a very traumatic sugery with aplomb and it helps me to grit my teeth and move forward.

• Posted

Totally agree with you about the stockings. They do help the swelling a lot. They also support the leg. I put them back on today because my leg was so swollen and the relief was immediate.
    • Posted

i get the cross dressing joke even though you sound like you are from the USA? I have worn support bandages of some sort for years and it does give you a mind set that the joint is supported.

We all should keep our heads down and work at it. I will put on the support tonight and take the pain relief. Thanks for your support.

Mike

• Posted

Hi Mike I am 11 weeks post op and have been back at work for 5 weeks as a sales rep and delivery driver jumping in and out of a Van all day. First week was pretty tiring but doing Ok now. I'm male 58 years. I also had a triple by pass back in 2011 and they were worried about blood clots even though I take aspirin daily so made me wear the socks. I hated them and gave them away after 4 weeks. My surgeon said I could not drive until I saw him st the follow up appointment at the six week mark. He then have me the OK to drive and return to work. The Van is an automatic and I had s right knee TKR..

All is going well now, the new knee is awesome and I walk pain free for the first time in years.

Cheers Timo

• Posted

Hi Mike,

In hospital straight after the tkr op they put me into two stocking type devices that inflated round the calf area of the legs they stayed inflated for 30 seconds and then deflated for 30 seconds and did this day and night for the first two days. They then went to the compression stockings which I was wearing for a couple of days and as soon as I had wore them and was walking around enough they went to just a knee stocking which I still wear to reduce swelling but only during the day. (available from the pharmacy in differrent sizes that you cut to length)

The physio said that after 4 days of walking following the op the DVT risk was no longer a problem. I am now 14 weeks post op and although I still get swelling, mostly when I just stand, I am able to do anything that I want as long as I don't overdo it. Inspite of all the exercises there are things that you do that still need muscles that are not fully recovered and ache but everyday they are getting better as I push the boundaries. 

At 4 weeks you have just about got over the worst bit, (thinking have I done the right thing, will this leg ever work properly, why did I let them do it?) Now you will see daily improvements, I found good pain medication was essential and allowed me to do that little bit more and there is no prize for going without them, by week eight  I ramped down on the dose, by week ten I was off all meds. Hope this helps. 

Regards Paul

• Posted

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply it helps a great deal. I have read some repleis today and people are getting 150 degree bends etc which is amazing. I was thinking that I am way behind but reading your note reassured me that at 4 weeks I am on thr right track. I had all of the thoughts that you mentioned but the last few days have been better and I can see that it was for the best!

Thanks for your feedback.

Mike

• Posted

Mike......I never question these numbers from others as I don't know how each health care provider does his or her measuring but my PT ( he has a doctorate in pt) has always told me 125-135 is the absolute max the joint can take. He has also been an advocate that straight is more important than bend. If I can get to 0 and 118 I will be able to function o.k. The other side of the coin might be age. I'm now 78 but have been at this for 12 1/2 years. After my fall a few months ago and the injury that has caused inflammation and swelling, I am back to 1 and 110. I hope to regain enough strength by spring to be able to enjoy a game of golf a week. Right now the turning would make it impossible. I had my knee drained this week to relieve the pressure but was told they would probably see me in a month for a repeat. Everybody is different and apparently the medical profession uses a lot of different standards
    • Posted

You are the same as my father in law who is 79 and has both knees done some years back. He never lets it stop him from doing things but only gets 90 degree bend and seems happy enough with that.

I hope that swelling goes soon for you and you can get that round of golf. I too have a few targets 1 is a golf day on the 22nd March and the other is a trip away at Easter where bikes will be needed.

Look after yourself and thanks.

Mike

• Posted

People with 150 knee bend may very well have a different sort of joint. . most of the replacement joints are not recommended to go more than about 120, but I was talking to my physio today and she said some younger people are being fitted with a type of joint which has a much better bend possibility . . I think i actually made it to 100 today, but it was not a pleasant experience!
  • Posted

Mike, Please remember that I achieved 150 bend when my surgeon was working my leg and it hurt like hell to get it there, and I have certainly not achieved it again on my own.  My guess would be that on a daily basis I have a full bend , I can stand on one leg and bend my knee back until calf and thigh meet, haven't a clue what angle that is but will get my physio to measure it on Tuesday.  Quite honestly I would rather have slightly less bend and be able to use the stairs properly, I am now 12 weeks and still can't walk up stairs properly!
    • Posted

Hi Liz,

That bend is still amazing I was going to say that you must be double jointed but that would not be very funny !!

I am sure that the stairs will be easy for you very soon!

Best of luck.

Mike

• Posted

I do wonder if having a metal knee cap helps rather than having my own knee cap back?  My consultant was very keen to point out that I had a new knee cap which he said adds stability .. will have to question him on this when next I see him!question

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.