4 weeks since ankle op.

Posted , 11 users are following.

Fractured and dislocated my ankle after slipping on a muddy path 17th Dec 2015  After10 days bed rest and foot elevation in hospital to get the swelling down over Christmas I had 9 screws into fibula and a metal plate and screws into bone on other side of ankle. In a cast for 2 weeks then Xrayed and assessed and another cast put on for 4 weeks. Disolvable stitches and ankle alignment satisfactory.

2 more weeks until consultant visit to assess maybe given a boot.

Very painful for a week after 2nd cast put on but settling down now. Using a wheelchair to propel myself around the house.  Living downstairs but been upstairs 3 times backwards on my bottom pushing up with good leg wearing a trainer for grip. Good exercise!

Was initially given a zimmer by hospital but very unsteady and not confident on crutches. Will hopefully use them when allowed to put some pressure on injured ankle.

Some nights I have to take paracetamol particularly if the ankle has not been elevated enough during the day.  I sleep a lot more but presume it is to do with the healing process.  Drinking a lot of milk and a VitD pill once a day with plently of protein foods which I hope will encourage bone healing.

Was very active but not able to do much apart from knitting and sewing.  Try to do a bit of housework each morning but have temporarily employed a cleaner. Thankful it is winter and no gardening necessary yet.

Encourageing to see how other broken ankles progress.  No phsio for me yet but I do Pilates exercises each morning in bed before putting ankle down for another day.

1 like, 94 replies

94 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Cast came off today and I've got a Moon Boot!  7 weeks since the accident and 6 weeks since surgery.   All healing really well they said.   I am only allowed to put very very light weight on the foot until I get the screw that goes accross the ankle removed, which will be in a few weeks hopefully.   I haven't had to take painkillers for a couple of days now, but I took some today after returning from hospital, just to keep any pain at bay.   Hopefully I won't need any more.   They are posting me a referral to physio.  

Beryl - how has your first few days out of the cast been?

• Posted

Good for you Syneig! It's such a relief to be out of the cast.  It's nice to be upright in the boot even if you still need crutches.  Why do you need the screw removed.  It must be due to your type of fracture. I'm happy you've progressed to the boot.  
    • Posted

I haven't been given a boot.  Just told to take it steady!  Went for first physio last Friday which was a very quick appointment because I had my cast off the previous Tuesday.  My ankle was very stiff but not particularly painful before physio. but doing the exercises has awaked it!!!

I am on crutches now for a short time to walk outside but am still in my wheelchair when the ankle gets painful.  I haven't had to take pain killers yet but that may change if it doesn't settle down after exercises which I have to do 5 times a day.

The ankle is more flexable but swells up so then I elevate it for a couple of hours and will start icing today to see if that improves the discomfort.

This is a slow process and cannot be rushed.

Snow here this morning so won't be going outside today.

• Posted

Thank you so much for the update. I am rather upset today. I just found out that my employer is trying to get rid of me. I have worked for them for a long time and had a perfect record, but since I broke my ankle on the job they feel the need to treat me badly. It doesn't help with the psychological end of this at all.
    • Posted

Beryl, What country do you live in?  Maybe, you didn't need the boot because you were 8 weeks nwb, I had been 5 weeks nwb when the cast was to be removed ( I removed it earlier).  The boot is an interim step to walking and at first it feels like the boot is doing a lot of the walking.  I only used the boot for 2 weeks.  It does provide some confidence in that you can walk and feel safe that you won't fall or twist your ankle.  I had to deal with snow for months where I live.  I found throwing towels over icey walkways kept me from slipping.  We would carry 2 in the car and my husband would help me.  I was so afraid of slipping,  I also put screws in the bottom of a pair of shoes to help with not slipping.  Best of luck.
    • Posted

leelee,

I'm so sorry to hear that.  That is just wrong.  I hope he reconsiders, but who knows maybe it will lead to something better.  

Linda

• Posted

Thank you Linda. I am so mad right now that I am hoping for something better. I will never understand why employers want to turn on their loyal employees. Anyway, thanks for the pep talk.
    • Posted

Evening. I have just read with disgust about your employer.

Are you in the Uk? Are you employed or self employed?

What type of work do you do?

I returned to work almost a month ago after having 3 months off and looked into my legal rights, basically your employer has to take all reasonable steps to help when you return to work, and has to be a last resort to get rid of you, especially with your track record. I hope you can resolve this issue as its a worrying time without the stress of not having a job. Let us know the outcome mate.

• Posted

Thank you! I live in the US. I am a server and spend 8 hours a day on my feet. One of my bosses warned me this will happen, so I am not surprised. I have tried to be nice about everything, but today I hired an attorney. I didn't want to do this, I just wanted to get well and go back to work.

On a different note, did you ever feel like someone was poking your foot with pins?This just started and it is quite painful.

• Posted

Ah, I assumed you lived in the Uk. My son lives in Cleveland Ohio.

Im not sure how the law works in the Us. I'm on my feet 10 hours minimum a day and driving etc. I think it's good advice to hire an arrorney, depending on the costs. It's a stressful time when you need to get better and return to work to get back to normality. I get paid monthly which is in two weeks, I'm have no money until payday, then owe my pay check out. 

I did feel the same sensation as you, don't worry, it's normal at the beginning.

Its your muscles that are being wakened after a long rest, make sure you do your exerciseson a daily basis to get the mobility back

• Posted

I live in Indiana, so we are practically neighbors lol. I need my job and my workman's comp until I go back to work, so I really didn't have a choice in hiring an attorney.

Thanks for letting me know this is normal. I am still in a cast, so no exercises yet.

• Posted

I hope everything works out ok for you buddy.

Just try and stay positive, I know it's hard and you will get fed up, as I did.

Im still having pt every three weeks for 30 mininutes! Wow!

Its a long process and at times didn't think I would walk again.

I just need to get the flexibility back, which I'm told will take time.

Take care

• Posted

I would feel the same way after you've been loyal to them.  You sound young and I hope you will heal quickly, but I think it is wise to get an attorney if they are going to lay you off.  Workers comp will pay you and give you time to get another job. They've shown their true colors, they're not worth thinking about them, focus on healing.
    • Posted

That is my focus now. I am so afraid I will never be 100% again. I am actually 45, I walked away from a nursing career 10 years ago and never looked back. I love what I do and I love my customers.
    • Posted

Hi Linda

I live in the North of England and this winter we have only had a little snow.  I have  just started going into the garden on my crutches having been in the house for the whole of January. I always find something to do as I am a patchworker.

When I went to physio. I was asked to fill in a tick sheet to indicate the varying levels of difficulty I found in doing different things e.g. dressing, shopping, walking.  The only thing I could give full marks for was that I wasn't depressed!!!

It is the side of my foot that is hurting today and not the ankle. I cannot put much weight on the foot due to the pain.  I also dislocated the ankle so I think it might be the nerves and ligaments healing and causing the pain.  I will ask my physio on Friday and see if she has an answer.

I think you are very brave going out in the snow but perhaps you have to.  I live on my own now but if you have help from your husband that will give you more confidence as well as the boot.

• Posted

Hi. I can stand ok now, but cannot fully squat nor walk properly.

Ive been able to stop using my wheelchair, crutches and walking stick now but my foot swells up really badly when I have been working all day.

I worry that I won't be able to walk properly even though I'm still having physio. The doctor has said that I will regain 90% movement, trying to stay positive. Just been sent home from work after 5 hours as not busy🙄

• Posted

Hi Beryl,

I found that I needed to go out of the house so I didn't go bonkers.  My husband would drive me around the town and we would go to lunch. I couldn't have done it on my own. 

I have found that with the healing the pain is often not at the fracture site, but  on the other side of the ankle or heel or top and or bottom of foot. I'm 18 weeks post op and I'm thinking the pain moves around because all the muscles, ligaments and tendons in the foot have to be stretched back into motion.I'm in less pain now and I able to walk without a limp.

That is so interesting to talk to you in England. I'm trying to imagine you in your garden. I live in Bend, Oregon.  We've had a lot of snow this winter, melted now.  

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

• Posted

I felt like that too at your stage, but at 18 weeks post op I know I'm going to be normal again.  I may need to have the hardware out which I'm not looking forward to.  Are you still in the cast? I'm sure it's hard not to worry when you walk so much for your job, but I'm sure you'll be back at it.  My biggest fear was that I'll never be able to dance (I'm retired), but now I know I'll be able to soon. 
    • Posted

Hi Paulusdw

I have not hobbled off the face of the planet but my computer went sick last week and I have felt cut off without it.  All sorted now.  Here is what I hope will be encouraging news for fellow sufferers.

After 8 days of boot and frame, especially the weight of the boot, I abandoned it in favour of supportive shoes, which also kept my toes dry when it was raining.  On the advice of a neighbour I contacted my local council to see about making my house safer and easier to get around.  The scheme is called Care and Repair.  You have to be over 65 to qualify for their services. It's possible other U.K Councils have a similar set up. I described  my needs over the phone and in less than a week they sent out a workman who fiited extra hand rails on both my flights of stairs and a grab rail to enable me to get in and out of the shower safely.  The service is not free.  it cost me £150 (about $200 for American readers, I guess).  I can now walk up and down stairs safely and feel confident using the shower.  

Tuesday I went out unaccompanied using a combination of Train and Bus (I live very handy to both) and visited friends and yesterday I got behind the wheel of my car and went for a short drive.  I was apprehensive about driving as it is my left (clutch opperating) ankle that is recovering but found it was not in the least painful.  it just felt a little stiff, probably due to the calf muscles being a bit floppy through lack of use.

I still elevate my foot/leg whenever possible after walking and now driving.  Hope work going well and you continue to make progress

• Posted

Good evening Iris. I'm really pleased to read of your progress

I didn't know about the Care and Repair facility, it's a shame that it is £150 as most people on benefits or sickness wouldn't be able to afford it. At least you are safe now which will boost your confidence. My friend came to my house and we went out in his car for a few hours each week which helped. He is awaiting a new knee and has an electric mobility scooter that he brought for us both to share 😊 I dread to think what people must have thought of us...lol I felt positive when I drove my car for the first time in 3 months. My ankle is still swollen despite doing exercises, elevating, massaging, soaking in warm water and using an elasticated bandage.

I returned my crutches & perching chair to hospital and sold my wheelchair back on Ebay, I'm just trying to put all this nonsense behind me.

Ive been back at work a month now, still limping as I'm on my feet 10 hours, but am looking forward to payday on 29th. I feel odd twinges and slight pain in my heel of all places, hopefully signs of improvement. Hope you continue to make improvement 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.