44 yrs old... I have 4 weeks until my TKR- I'm scared to death

Posted , 22 users are following.

I am 44 yrs old, I've had tons of shots etc in the last year, and I am finally scheduled oct 14 for TKR, I had one doc tell me I needed a partial, and one tell me total. I figured do the whole thing, instead of part now and total in 10 yrs. My dad has had both his knees done in the last year. When he went in for his first surgery, I wondered what they did with the ligaments etc, so I made the mistake of youtubing TKR surgery. And now I cant get those images out of my head. But I've been putting it off for so long. I am not participating in life like I usually do. My question is, is there anything I can do to prepare myself? I go to the gym everyday, doing the bike and row machine. Is there anything specific I can be doing to make sure I have the strength? Realisticly, how long will i be on pain meds? They said 6 weeks ! Is that true ?

1 like, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Here's some basic info I've accumulated...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

Prep...

1. Build up your quads, glutes and core as much as you can in the time you have.

2. Realize that for almost everyone, this is a painful recovery.  Opioids are typical for the first 30 days or more.  Pain should alleviate pretty much in the 3-6 month period.  Some people take longer...others have very little at all but those seem to be the exceptions.  

3. Use the meds as long as you need them but get off the opiods as soon as you can handle it.  Tramadol, 800mg Ibuprophin, Voltaren Gel (all RX) after the heavy stuff.

4. PT is critial starting around week three.  Need to get your flexion to zero degrees straight and +120 degrees bent.  That's the normal goal...it could change based on your particular circumstances.  Breaking down the internal scar tissue as it's forming is essential to recovery...and it could be a bit painful.  Work through it...it's worth it.  And do NOT measure your progress by anyone elses.  This is NOT a linear recovery...there will be advancements and setbacks.  Do not despair!!!

5. Elevation and icing are critical.  Your first 30 days are usually the toughest...it gets better from there.

6. The work doesn't stop at the end of PT (mine was 9 weeks @ 2x/week).  Gotta hit the gym to rebuild quads, glutes and core.  This is a long recovery.

7. Should be in great shape in the 12-18 month period as the final swollen look, stiffness and clicking/popping subside.  No guarantees.  They could last longer than that.  By that time, the TKR should be just a memory...but no promises.  Some people have longer-term problems, manipulations, revisions, etc.  There is no way to predict what any single person's outcome will be.  I'm just giving you generalities based on reading a whole lot of people's stories. 

8. If you don't have a ton of pain, then you're special but be prepared.  I've had 4 knee scopes, two shoulder surgeries, four kidney stones, a hip replacement, four fused vertebrae and now the TKR.  This was the most painful and longest recovery at all.

9.  You can't hurry this recovery.  It's slow and steady.  Push the knee and it swells...telling you that you did too much.  Listen to your body but be strong...stay strong.  We've all done this...you can too.  Just remember that you have to put in the work (sometimes painful) to get the results (walking with no aids, limp or pain in 6-12 months).

Welcome to the club...  Remember: There is no fear, just a disconnect from Spirit.  Stay connected to the energy and resources around you.  You are not alone in this.

"Never give up.  Never surrender." - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

• Posted

Wow, thank you.

You've been through alot as well.

12-18 mos back to normal activities?

Sports and running? Or am I being unreasonable to expect that?

I play women's kickball.

It scares me that your TKR has been the most difficult procedure for you....

But you are right, if everyone else can do it, I can too.

Thanks again 😊

• Posted

It's interesting to me that most people start pt a few weeks after surgery. I had my mine on a Wednesday, home on Friday, started pt the following Monday! I've been going twice a week ever since. I'm 8 weeks out and my bend is only at 102. Kind of worried about that.

• Posted

Don't worry, it's good though that you went right into therapy.  I had to wait about 13 days.  Some rent the constant motion machine and use it till then.  Wish I had known about that.  I'm 7 weeks out and my bend is 110 on a good day.  But you can gain ROM up to a year after surgery.  In three months you will probably be up to 130.  So why worry?  I do find the more I bend the stiffer my knee by the end of the day.  So healing on the inside is not all the way done yet.  But in three months there is a turn around, spoken by many on here, so keep working on it and just be patient.  

• Posted

Most people I've talked to resume normal activities following their 6-month ortho checkup and alignmnet x-ray.  I'm figuring (hoping for) 12-18 months to where it's like the TKR never happened but some people have long-term issues.  There is some residual swelling, stiffness and clicking/popping which could last that long...or longer.  However a great percentage of people are back to work and resuming normal lives in the 6-9 month range ... IN GENERAL ... everyone's different.

However, for you, I would talk to the doc and do some research into kickball.  That may or may not be possible.  For example, I can skate again in the future, but my 44 years of playing hockey are stuck in the distant past.  Another example: I've see lists where singles tennis is frowned upon while doubles is OK...less movement and jarring of the knee.

Generally, anything involving leg impact and/or fast twisting motions of the knee will probably be ruled out as acceptable activities.  Google "acceptable post-TKR activities" and you'll find lists from the Mayo Clinic and such.  Most will have both Never and OK categories plus another that constitutes a "greay area" because of the lack of research and statistics.  Use the lists as a guide and talk to your doc.  If it hurts, stop.  But then again, one good twist and you could do more damage than the game is worth.

Finally, don't be scared.  The first few days, you're mostly unconscious.  After that...yes...it's painful for almost all people.  But I did talk to one woman who had little to no pain at all.  There's no way to predict it.  My big post, above, speaks to generalities...most likely cases.  It's just that everyone is different on an individual level, but when you group hundreds/thousands of patients together, the pattern of painful / 3-6 months / slow recovery / have to work to get the flexion / etc. emerges.

My big post also talks about post-op depression.  If you're prepared for that going in and experience it, then you'll know what it is and can kick its butt.  You stay strong and get through it because, no matter how painful, it's only temporary...and there are "happy pills" to help.

JC

• Posted

Don't be worried.  Achieving full flexion (0 / +120) is not a linear process.  There will be advances and setbacks, good days/bad days.  Some people because of age or previous conditions never get that much.  I'm 68 and it took me 9 weeks of straight PT 2x/wk plus home stuff to go from -14/+84 to -1/+128.  By then I was 12 weeks p/o.  Just do the work...don't get depressed...don't give up.  This may help...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-heel-slide-exercises-526213

JC

• Posted

I'm a week out from a TKR in New Mexico.  Hi, neighbor!  They start PT here the day of surgery...I walked a bit, which wasn't too bad since knee was numb. Next 2 days of PT in the hospital were rough, but I was on IV pain meds.   MAKE SURE TO TAKE PAIN MEDS 30 minutes BEFORE PT!

I'm going to outpatient PT 3x a week now and my PT is awesome.  He massages leg and knee first and never forces new joint.

You are young and have to be in great shape, with running and kickball.  You'll do great.

Just stay AHEAD of pain.  Ask for meds every 3 hrs.  Once, in the hospital, I let it go too long.  HUGE mistake.  I don't know about Texas, but in NM you have to ask for medicine....they don't automatically give it to on a schedule.

• Posted

Hi Keli i think the first mistake was watching U Tube but apart from that look on the plus side you mentioned your not able to participate in life as you once did i was in the same boat left knee problems for 40 odd years mine was done 2 weeks ago still taking pills doc reckons six weeks but bear in mind you will need to take them on the bright side i have a few friends who have had it done and there lives are fulfilled again i hope all goes well for you good luck.
  • Posted

This scar is three weeks post surgery. Essential oils!  Good nutrition. Weights, cardio, yoga. Bend that knee as much as you can. Get on the treadmill or bike and lots of resistance to get good cardio. Don't miss a day of working out in the next month. Push yourself. Ask doctor to order you a CPM and use it multiple times a day. Get a game ready ice machine. Life saver!  Wear your compression hose...life saver for swelling and clots. Elevation rest but get up and walk as much as you can. Take naps. Take your drugs until you feel you can manage pain with ice, Tylenol and I had Celebrex. I'm 4 months post tkr. I'm 59 very active person. I'm a paddle boarder and I went boarding at 7 weeks!  Notice my scar...its curved so I can kneel!  My idea and it works great. You will have numbness, normal.  GET AS STRONG AS YOU CAN IN THE NEXT MONTH! I was an athlete, I prepared mentally like it was the big game. I had shirts made to wear to PT..I AM A WARRIOR!  Boom like a boss!  You got this. You're young and will heal fast. Be prepared to hurt but it won't last forever. Best of luck and contact me if you need some support!  

• Posted

Thank you!

I've never seen a curved scar.

Thx for the encouragement about getting stronger. I certainly will.

Thank you

• Posted

Everyone is different in so many ways. Not really wise to advise things like kneeling as some docs absolutely forbid. In some areas of the world the surgical hose aren't used. Its great that you are enjoying such a remarkable recovery and are envied by many as it just isn't that easy for most. Things like the CPM aren't used or recommended in my part of the world and aren't available post op. for reasons only known to the physicians and surgeons.

Hope things continue to go great for you. Text book success stories are always such a bright light.

• Posted

I was explaining what I was recommended to do pre surgery by my PT and my physician. I have one of the top Orthpedic doctors in the US. He is the team doctor for the Blazers. I'm not sure where you live so I wouldn't know what the medical field does there. My doctor never told me I couldn't kneel and my PT started me kneeling at 5 weeks on a pillow for short amounts of time each PT session to acclimate my nerves. I can kneel on it now without a pillow or knee pad. This is me. I didn't ever say you should do this. Like you said everyone is different. What I was trying to do is give someone so young and scared encouragement and use myself as an example. I'm no spring chicken, I'm 59 but 35 in my head. I wish everyone the best and fullest recovery. This will be my last post on the forum. Obviously I live in a different country and our medical field does things differently, more aggressive towards recovery. Best wishes and best of luck on recoveries. 

• Posted

My surgical team is part of the sports medicine group for the Chiefs, Totals and KC sporting. The hospital is a teaching hospital. Its all in the way Dr's are trained I guess. My PT is a PhD and carries sports medicine certification. No offense, but I heard 20 plus people on here say they go to the top ortho in the world or country which of course, the can't call be.

I am a firm believer in doing whatever you can to stay out of pain and go to the furthest level of activity as possible. I was 65 when the tumor broke open and ate up my knee....11 surgeries and radiation plus 14 additional years of age and still pushing. Along with that my wife is in the advanced stages of Parkinson's disease so I'm her primary care giver and have to push her into activity on a daily basis. Its for sure if youvarent pushing you're going backwards. With that being said, pushing to an extreme trying to keep up with someone else can have serious negative effects.

• Posted

You are so inspirational

I was due tkr next Wednesday. Just found out I have shingles.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.