44 yrs old... I have 4 weeks until my TKR- I'm scared to death

Posted , 22 users are following.

I am 44 yrs old, I've had tons of shots etc in the last year, and I am finally scheduled oct 14 for TKR, I had one doc tell me I needed a partial, and one tell me total. I figured do the whole thing, instead of part now and total in 10 yrs. My dad has had both his knees done in the last year. When he went in for his first surgery, I wondered what they did with the ligaments etc, so I made the mistake of youtubing TKR surgery. And now I cant get those images out of my head. But I've been putting it off for so long. I am not participating in life like I usually do. My question is, is there anything I can do to prepare myself? I go to the gym everyday, doing the bike and row machine. Is there anything specific I can be doing to make sure I have the strength? Realisticly, how long will i be on pain meds? They said 6 weeks ! Is that true ?

1 like, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi keli

I am 43 and just had my 1st knee replaacement 4 weeks ago. But l.also jad both hips replaced this year and have still to get other knee replaced .

I made the same mistake and watched a knee and hip replacement being done in u tube before l.got mine done.

Not gonna lie its very painful.but you will be fine. I am scared of everything yet l have managed all.3 joint replacements this year. So there is nothing you can do to prepare yourself except prepare yourself for a fair bit of pain and lack of comfortable sleeping . Have ice ready as it really does help. I go for my 1st physio session today and am starting to get better. I am also of to the doctors this morning as.l.dont feel.my pain is being managed correctly by my doctor.. i am allercic to nsaid's so right now l am taking tramadol, co codamol and if pain is severe which it is at times l an taking 1 10mg of oxy but my doctors decided in his knowledge to stop my tramadol which is wrong in the 1st place as l have been on this for months ans should be tappered off bot just stopped and l think he is a bit early to be messing with my painkillers considering l only had surgery 4 weeks ago. But apart from that l am managing and so will you hun so dont worry. Its worth it in the end.

Good Luck

Laura

X

• Posted

Thank you for your reply!

Wow, both hips and eventually 2 kneed.

Thats alot.

I hope you get some relief from the pain.

• Posted

Hey Laura, wow you have had a busy year, glad to hear you're knee is doing better. I can't believe you and others here watched the u tube surgery videos, I had no desire to see the graphic details of my surgeries! I had the two knees done about 2 years ago, and I'm at 7 weeks with my RTHR. I tried to forget about all the steel in my knees and work to make them like normal knees again. Of course they're not the same but it's all in my head and it seems to have worked so far! The hip surgery and recovery is so different from the knees, but it is patience and exercise. Wishing you a continued smooth recovery.

• Posted

Hi Keli .. I'm having my second TKR on Monday just found out yesterday!  I'm 11mths post op with my first one.  And unfortunately due to the nature of my knees (accident wrecked them) I was unable to exercise.  I fell at 8 days post op (tripped over the darn crutches while no one was home and laid in a pool of blood in our brand new carpet until hubby came home)  was readmitted to hosp for 5 days for observation as I'd torn both internal and external sutures below the knee... surgeon decided not to go back in due to a high risk of infection and steri stripped the wound and I used a vacuum bandage for 3wks.  During this time I was only able to do straightening exercises.  However when I next visited my surgeon he was so happy with my progress he didn't think it necessary for me to see a physio .. ended up with a hip bursitis at 5mths as without guidance from a pt I was over doing it and not realising it.  Since then I have been seeing a physio and using the gym there.  My problem was that the exercises I was doing we not strengthening my quads which was putting all the work on my hip which I'm still having problems with.  But am hoping come Monday surgery I've learnt alot from this first experience and never found this site until a couple of months ago sad  so wish I had of found it much earlier but I've learnt for the next one.

And you will be going into surgery in great form seen how you love the gym and playing sports!  I'm guessing you have great quads which will make recovery so much easier for you.

One thing tho I don't know if you'll ever be playing kickball again tho or running... but hey one never knows we're all different and there's always an exception to the rule for the very few smile  here's hoping you're one of them.

I was on oxycontin & endone for nearly 3mths and then I still take 60mg of codiene usually twice a day .. on my good days I just take paracetamol but I still have alot of swelling so I'm still icing a couple of times throughout the day.

Remember that recovery can be anywhere from 12-18+ mths just depending on each individual knee.  And keep frequenting here as there's some out there with great info .. especially Oldfatguy and Chico they are always on here everyday I've found and love their posts!

Also there's nothing you need do to prepare your skin .. I just know this time round I have to use some special cleaning stuff for 2 days prior to surgery and on morning of surgery and no soap!  Apparently it's a new thing now at the hospital I go to.

Good luck and look forward in hearing how your op goes smile

Cheers... Tracey

• Posted

Wow! Are you having the other knee done?

How scarey ( the fall)

I hope all goes well on Monday!

• Posted

Yes having other knee done .. and can't wait it's now 5am and I'm still up because it's so darn painful can't wait for it to be gone!!!

Thanks for the best wishes... Tracey

• Posted

My doctor told me one thing and for the most part it is true.  You will not have any more pain then you have already with a TKR.  My knee was bone on bone.

I think you were wise to watch the surgery.  I watched it too, and now have a good idea why this is such major surgery.  Little overwhelming when you watch the operation on u-tube.

I also am having my second operation Oct. 10th.  I still cannot bend my leg that much or ride a bike. I cannot go upstairs one leg after the other. It will be interesting.  The stairs will be most likely my biggest challenge.

• Posted

Don't be discouraged by the inability to use stairs the pre surgery way as this is truly one of the last and most difficult tasks that you have to work through. It seems part of it is the actual mechanics, part of it is strength it takes and much of it is the fear of losing balance and falling. I've talked to a lot of people during PT who have expressed various concerns and several admitted it was just too slow to try and they could move faster one leg at at time so that's their preferred method. Personally, I dont recall getting back to the usual at a given point, it just happened. As this is my 5th rehab and its been over a year I still don't do it the regular method. Just keep working at it and you'll get there.

• Posted

Lol, I intentionally waited until after my surgery to watch the utube of it. Then I completely understood why I was in such pain. From the sound of it, you are doing all the right things!! As far as pain meds, I took a lot the first couple of weeks but after that really tapered off. Just make sure you have enough to take before each therapy session. You will do much better if you have pain meds on board. I'm 8 weeks out and only take before my pt. good luck to you. You will do great!

• Posted

Hi Keli,

Sounds like you're doing the right things:  exercise, learning more about what to expect. I also made the mistake of watching the Youtube procedures twonights before the surgery (!), and it scared the heck out of me  until then, I didn't know how major the procedure was.  Approach it with respect, but not fear.  You can do this.

You've found an excellent resource (I didnt find it until after the surgery), so look at as much as you can here.  Lots of good advice.  I especially encrouage you to read ChicoMarx's pieces that he provides a link to.  It covers most everything.

You will find some horror stories here, and well as some successes. You will see more from the former because those with difficulties are more apt to reach out and post.

Just to encourage you further, I'm 60 years old and am at 6 weeks. I was on OK shape, about 15 pounds overweight, but not nearly as active as you.

I had a very difficult time post-op because my pians meds didn't work (except morphine, which caused me to hallucinate) and I developed a blood clot, which presented me from taking anti-inflammatories and prolonged the swelling.  

But today, I can bend my knee 130 desgrees, and can straighten it to zero.  I drive, get around without a cane, and easily go up and down stairs, both of which I was able to do at 4 weeks.

But it hasn't been easy.  I've gone through a lot of pain and sleepless nights.

Here's my two cents.

Stay ahead of pain and don't be afraid of your meds.  Don't get off them too soon. Their biggest value is enabling you to sleep and exercise.  Don't be concerned about addiction.  You will learn when you need them and when you don't, and they probably will make you feel queasy enough that you'll want to get off of them.

Hook up with a good physical therapist and get on their schedule now.  Your treatments will be painful, but should not be excruciating.  If they are, then find another PT.  It's physical therapy, not torture.  And always take pain med at lest a half hour before the appt. so you can achieve maximum results with minimal pain.

Ice and elevate.  They both help reduce swelling, which is a huge obstacle for progress.  If your knee is swollen, it will be more painful to stretch and exercise, so you'll be less motivated to exercise.

Sleep is really important. You'll be advised not to sleep with a pillow under your leg because it hampers straightening the leg. I bought a full body pillow to put under my entire leg, which I found to be really comfortable but minimized my leg bending.  So, in the morning, when I stretched out, I wasn't too far from where I was when I went to bed.

At some point (mine was at 3 weeks), ideally you'll start to see how exercise is achieving results. That's when the exercises become easier.  Not because they ARE easier, but because you're more motivated by the progress you see.  I woudl sense that your challenge will be not to overdo it.  When you start to feel severe pain when you're working out, stop.  You will have pain the next day from working out the day before, but probably will be your muscle, which you'll need to build up again.  That's good pain because it means progress in the "no pain, no gain" spirit.

Sounds like you are in great shape, which gives you a leg up (pun intended) on most everyone else.  That will ease your recovery.  

I've no doubt you can do this.  Stay positive, get prepared, and keep your expectations real.

Best of luck to you.

• Posted

I just had a total knee replacement on my left knee. I also was scared. But you have to have faith in Jesus and he will get you over this surgery. I will also pray for you.
    • Posted

I prayed A LOT, too, and I asked God for calmness and strength. Going into each surgery I had this amazing sense of peace. It was quite a humbling experience for me.

I pray that all will feel this peace.

I hope you are doing well!💟

• Posted

I too was 44 when I had my TKR , I also went years in pain and done all the shots , braces , and therapy, but after going to 2 different Dr for years they both said they wouldn't do a replacement cause I was too young, but I had no cartilage left it was bone to bone, and I didn't do anything but go to work ( because I had to ) I was to the point I told my Dr I was ready to have it amputated. so I had the surgery the first 3 months was a living hell, but after that it starts getting better, and now 2 years later if it wasn't for the scar I would forget.

Ask if you will have a CPM machine ? it helps alot !!

Good Luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.