45mg of mirtazapine.....has anyone got off this.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

Has anyone got of 45mg of mirt ?

I plan to drop 10% every 4 weeks or less if necessary. It could take 2 years.

Just want to know if anyone has got off 45mg without going through hell by doing a slow taper. I have a 2 year old so have to be able to function.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

How long have you been on 45mg? and what dose did you start on and for how long?
  • Posted

I have not got off 45mg but I'm thinking if you trial a 10% to start and everything goes ok, (maybe allowing 2 weeks to start) then whilst tapering from a high end dose you might get away with 12/14% - having said that it's trial to see what your body/mind can tolerate.

I think once you get below 10mg I would allow no more than 5%/10% until 0.1%. It's a trial & error whilst your brains' neurotransmitters search for homeostatis I'm afraid.   Best wishes.

Wishing you well .

• Posted

If you went at 10% from 10mg to 0.1 that would take years ? Is that right ?

9mg, 8.1mg, 7.3mg, 6.6mg, 6mg, 5.4mg, 4.9mg, 4.4mg, 4mg, 3.6mg, 3.3mg, 3mg, 2.7mg, 2.4mg, 2.15mg, 2mg, 1.8mg, 1.6mg, 1.45mg, 1.3mg, 1.15mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.72mg, 0.65mg, 0 5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.36mg, 0.32mg, 0.29mg, 0.26mg, 0.23mg, 0.2mg, 0.18mg, 0.16mg, 0.14mg, 0.125mg, 0.11mg, 0.1mg then stop.

If i drop every 4 weeks then it will take 3 to 4 years.....i will get liquid prescribed for that long at all and seems crazy.

I would be looking at a 5 year taper. Is that right ?

• Posted

It can t take 5 years to taper of 45mg.....mostly the last 10mg. Liquid is expensive the nhs will not pay for that. I know people that have just stopped with few problems....i don t think i will be one of them but 5 years. I have 2 other meds to taper off after.

I have side effects from the meds i can t spend the next 15 yrs in withdrawals. I feel anxious just thinking about it. If you came of 15mg how long did it take you and what did you do when you got under about 3mg when the drops get silly small. Did it take you 3 ish years ?

Sorry for all the questions but 5 years !!!! just for the mirt ?

• Posted

Allison was lucky but seems like a lot who go off cold turkey go through hell and end up back on.  I agree with Calmer that you may be able to go a little faster from the higher dose, but test the waters with 10% for 4 weeks and see how that goes. Some can do 10% every 3 weeks, 5% every two weeks, and so on.  If doing larger than 10% cuts I would give it 4 weeks between.

I am down to 3.5 mg, from 37.5 mg 2 1/2 years ago, but I co-taper venlafaxine.  That is another way to go, doing smaller cuts of two meds at once.  I average 5% each per month.  When you've been polydrugged and want to get off, it's a real drag that it will take so long - we were put in a pickle with the cocktails :-(  If you want to be successful and functional along the way, the slow taper is the way to go.

• Posted

I am also on 150mg of ven.

So it has taken you 2 1/2 years to go from 37.5 to 3.5mg ? Tapering ven with it.

Have you felt able to function over that time ?

• Posted

How are you cutting down the ven as you cannot get a liquid. I have the capsules with beads in. Not sure how i would make small drops on that.
    • Posted

Why did you decide to taper both drugs together ? How is that going for you ?
    • Posted

Hi Sarah/Betsy

Here is our link for making a liquid, from any AD, Benzo or Z drug.

Best wishes 

• Posted

I came off 15mg cold turkey after 2  months-it can be done but I had 2mg diazepam and 10mg temazepam to aid me for 3 weeks then I cut them in half for a week then a quarter then off. Just a few flashbacks of anxiety in the few months after. Glad to get off it like I did but not everyone can go cold turkey. Best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.