4th retear of anal fissure I don't know what to do and scared

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm really scared this is my 4th retear since august and its October. the first anal fissure was not very bad but it did hurt alot and I got prune juice to make my feces softer and did sitz baths and the other two were small and healed in 3 to 4 days..but this one really has me worried although it doesn't really hurt when I go to have a bowel movement but it is stressing me out.. the fissures are from hard bowel movements but i have been dring prune juice. I just want the fissure to stop coming back..I must admit I'm not the healthiest person and I am working on eating more fruits I already drink lots of water I just want the retears to end. Any advice

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Kayla,sorry to hear of the frustration and pain you must be going through.I suffered from 3 fissures which occured in end of Aug.Ive never experienced them before and thought the pain would go away on its own.It got so worse in a week i went to a gp who prescribed the neohealer and procto glyvenol suppositories.I didnt know much about fissures so u went home tried the regime amd changed my diet to very light veges and avocado.it eased the pain as my BM were quite soft,always have been thus i dont understand why i had the fissures to begin with.Maybe stress of travel.

I decided to take matters into my own hands,and went on a liquid diet and some days id have just chamomile or peppermint tea with money and my 1 a day vitamin.i took a spoonful of virgin olive oil 3 times as well for energy.i know most doctors qoyld tell you up your fibre...it didnt work with me,the stools were bountiful though soft still exercerbated my fissures.But with the liquid diet the residue was minimum once every 3days...i was hungry but id take that from that debilitation pain of fissures and the hours of spasms.I also read about the gtn crram in this forum and started using it.Had to demand it from my gp who seems to have no idea how to handle af.I also alternated coconut oil with sudocreme during the day atleast 3times.the pain subsided in 3days...no spasms,bm were quick just slightly uncomfortable.

• Posted

Thank you for all the good advice..the fissure is getting better and today my bowel movement was soft I think what soften it up was because I ate some apples..the prune juice is making me go more than actual making the feces soft but it is healing as long as I keep up with my good eating habits ...I didn't go to a doctor but I told my parents I want to..I think fresh fruits like I said apples make my bowel movements softer..I do sitz baths..I'm not in much pain ...I think my bad eating habits are making the fissures reoccur and I try to eat more healthier

• Posted

And my first fissure happened because I was constipated from eating alot of biscuits in a week I would go through a whole pack ..and that's what caused my first fissure the 2nd and 3rd ones were really small and healed within 3-4 days and this 4th one is where the first one was and its healing ...I try to put my mind off it and enjoy my life...I just hope if I keep up my healthy eating habits they won't reoccur

• Posted

Try lactulose, prunes are ok, but juice hasn't enough fibre.

plus, don't use toilet paper, use wet wipes, and if sore use baby nappy rash cream.

Don't let you motions get hard, eat fibre, like mashed potatoes, and cauliflower, all veg are good.

If you want to stop this reacurring, ditch junk food altogether

• Posted

Thank you for your advice...I don't use toilet paper anymore I use wet wipes now..and you are right about the junk food I really need to stop eating foods that will make my bowel movements harder to pass

• Posted

Kayla:

Have you seen a doctor regarding the tear? I had a tear that I left untreated and scar tissue had formed keeping it from healing. I had it surgically fixed 3 weeks ago. It is still healing, but getting much better

• Posted

I haven't seen a doctor but I really want to..and I'm glad your getting better

• Posted

Here are some suggestions I have for you to help you through:

1. Try somee zinc oxide in the form of calmoseptine which has menthol to soothe the area down there as well. Calmoseptine can be bought at almost any local drugstore and can be bought online too.

2. Try squatting when going on the toilet instead of sitting. This is a much  helathier position and the poop sometimes will just slide out,  no pushing or straining involved.

3. I would definately take a fiber supplement, specifically metamucil  is what I take evveryday,  in ordr to allow your stools to be soft and to allow them to pass thorugh easily. THis being said, with any fiber supplemetn, you must drink lots of water when using them, or they will not work veffectively. Also, do not take too much as too much fiber can irritate your bowels on the way  out and diarreah actually does worse down there.

5. I would recommend getting a sphicteronomy surgery if htings dont get better. I waited it out, gave up, had the surgery, and was able to heal within about two weeks. I had a chronic fissure, so I knew where you are ocming from with v all the pain and discomfort.

Try listening to music to distract your mind a bit, especially when going to the bathroom. If you are in writing pain, distract yourself with a movie or TV show right after. Also, to prevent myself from screaming and from putting more stress in the area down  there, i bit down on a washcloth in order to make the tensions with my teeth instead of my sphicter muscle.

Hope this helps!!!

Best,

Myles

• Posted

Thank you myles

But I'm not in very much pain it is minimal and I did have a soft bowel movement today so I'm much better...I put Vaseline around the anus to help the pain so the feces can exit smoothly and I do sitz baths ....and how much do sphicteronomy surgery cost and what are the risks?

• Posted

Glad to hear your pain is getting better. For my fissures they did not need to do a sphincterectomy, they actually went in and stitched the fissures (no cutting of muscles, Yay!) as part of my fissurectomy.

I also find Metamucil every morning and drastically increasing my water intact helps to keep my BM softer.

I also would go straight to a proctologist and not a general practitioner when making the doctor appointment.

• Posted

It is a pretty hefty cost but with insurance it is maneable and way worth it. The risks are incontinence, which can happen but is a small percentage, and leaking.

In my situation, the only downside is it is a little bit harder to control my farts. But if it is between being in pain all the time and having someone next to me smell my farts once in a while I choose the latter.

Hope you feel better!

Best,

Myles

• Posted

Thanks for the advice ....apples helps to keep my bowel movements soft actually fresh fruits in general keeps them soft.... I will definitely see a proctologist thanks again
    • Posted

Hi there,

i see my surgeon again next week for a chronic fissure. I was thinking of asking them to stitch the fissure.  How much pain is there after that surgery?

thanks

debbie

• Posted

I am not familiar with the amount of pain that comes with stitching, but with my LIS surgery, pain right after surgery was very bad. But after the first day it was manageable. The first poop post surgery is the scariest and the worst, but after going to the bathroom the pain is nothing compared to that of the normal anal fissure.

Hope you feel better!

• Posted

I don't have anything to compare it to since ive only had 1 procedure (fissures stiched & hemorrhoidectomy)

The first week was bad, but looking long term it is much better now. The pain is primarily during BM, but sitz baths,

cold packs, vaseline, metamucil, ointments etc can help manage during BM.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.