4th week after cast removal and 10 weeks after orif...help

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi - had my 2nd physio yest - much better than 1st appt. Still not ready for FWB but has given me lots of excercises.

My ankle just feels so stiff and weak - like I will never be able to put full pressure on.

How many times a day to people do the excercises?

I started yest walking with no boot at all now but using both crutches as not walking normally on just one. Just getting frustrated as have primary age children and I cant drive anywhere - just after any similar experiences / advice. Would a sports massage on my ankle maybe help if there is sich a thing?. Im 38. Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I still have a purplish reddish leg. Swelling not so bad, but I do rest it up.

Thermostat on leg not working. Its either hot or cold. Stood barefoot on lino this morning. Right leg~ broken one~ felt it was freezing. Left leg only felt slight coolness.

Plate area aches when weather is cold.

I use compression bandage if I go out.

I'll try soaking foot. Thanks for tip.

My Physio get me to move ankle up and down using light resistance bungee. And twisting inward and up~ what he calls checking for gum haha! Getting flexibility back slowly. Ankle clicks occasionally when I'm doing partial weight bearing exercises.

• Posted

Hi ktcoon hang in there, it takes time. My physion massages my ankle twice a week and I massage it myself at least three times a day with comfrey cream. I am now able to walk without crutches, but still use them if I am going to be walking any distance. I have started driving now I have the range of motion and a bit of strength in the ankle. I too have no pain to speak of but I  have significant swelling and stiffness is still there to a degree. It is going to take time. How much time will be different for all of us I think, but I am almost at the three month mark now and thought I would be almost back to normal by now, but no. Hard as it may be, we have to be patient and be grateful for every small improvement.
    • Posted

Thanks diane - i think patience is the key and I have been running out of it - but got to learn it is going to take time. Once I am back driving I think that will make a huge difference to me. I cant see me going for long walks with the kids on the moors anytime soon - but it is a goal I want to get bk to but one day at a time. Great news you are recovering and all the best for further improvement xx
    • Posted

Thanks ktcoon. Patience is the key alright. I have just returne from physio and that massage is so painful. My problem seems to be the calf muscle and archillies tendon are so tight they are contributing to the swelling.  I now have more new exercises to do to hopefully help. I am feeling frustrated today, but thats OK. We are allowed to have sorry for ourselves days as long as they are few and far between. Driving does make a difference. That extra bit of indepenence is great.
  • Posted

Does anyone still have trouble with their affected foot being discoloured red/purple and splotchy, plus extra sensitive to cold? 30 weeks after I broke it, mine is like this still.
    • Posted

Hi - Im only 12 weeks since I broke mine and yes I get this all the time. Often goes purple colour - believe this ia normal?! Good luck with your continued recovery x
    • Posted

I have this trouble on an almost daily basis and my surgery was end of Sept last year. I went back to work mid Jan this year in the hope that being on it for 10 hours that it would help strengthen it and be more flexible plus help with circulation. How wrong I was. I massage it, exercise it,elevate it on a daily basis and there appears little to no improvement other than when I went on a weekend vacation and took to the swimming pool each day for an hour. The swelling went down and colour came almost back to "normal" but since I came back from holiday, my foot has returned to its previous state. I would suggest to try swimming and see if that helps you. I'm looking for a local pool that accommodates my unsociable work program. Hope this helps, and good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.