5/6 wks post op - What were you doing? How were you feeling? Back to work?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I'm 5wks post abdominal bikini incision sub total hysterectomy and I know it's a slow recovery and we are all different but I just wondered what everyone was/is doing at this stage, how you were/are feeling and when you all went back to work?

I'm much more mobile and my energy levels have improved but I'm still feeling wiped out if say I've been out in the morning walking or been on my feet at home pottering and doing light duties.

Tummy still sore and swollen above incision and really bloated and swollen in the evening.

My doc note for 6wks runs out Tues and at this rate j can't see myself coping with work even though it's an admin/desk based role.

I've got a boil underneath my incision at the moment too which probably isn't helping me feel that great!

Thanks

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You probably need a bit longer i do a job where m on my feet all the time so i had eight weeks off altogether
  • Posted

Going back to work after 6 weeks can be a lot of stress. Take it slow . Surgery takes time to get back to feeling up to par. 

Build up endurance during ring the day slowly and always rest when needed even take a small nap at lunch time. Helped me a lot felt so much better .

also see your doctor to remove the boil under incision it could cause more complications . 

• Posted

Yes I will call them tomorrow, thank you.
    • Posted

Good I hope you can see your doctor soon and the boil can be removed with no additional issues and mabe a prescription for antibiotics is a good way to go. 

• Posted

Yes I'm feeling pretty crap this eve so I don't think it's helping...

• Posted

I can honestly say that my recovery has been ok I feel normal other a little tenderness in the incision area. Of course all the other stuff. My suggestion is call your dr and let them know what you can do. Another thing that really helped my speedy recovery was cpanty and abdomen belt. I can't live without it. I would imagine you got boil from friction of clothes rubbing. If you don't have some kind of support belt go get one!

Xo

• Posted

That's fab you're doing so well 👍

I do think I seem to have been affected more by the bruising because of being so petite and slim. My work colleagues both said they didn't have bad bruising and definitely not low down in the bikini area.

I'm feeling much better so I'm getting there albeit slowly.

I think the boil is from an ingrown hair which has been disturbed near the incision and I did wonder whether it might happen as I wasn't shaved or anything....

Just going to give myself more time 😉

• Posted

I've heard mixed reports about the ab belts. I tried a similar thing late in my pregnancy but really didn't get on with it but maybe I'll look into one😉

• Posted

Hey can I ask you how much you weigh.. Also I love the abdomen belt it's very soft and adjustable..

• Posted

Yes, I've now gone up to 6 stone 9. I was around 7.2 pre-op then 6.6 when I came home after the op! My normal weight is around 7.2 to 7.3 and has been for years. Why?

• Posted

Wow u r tiny drink lots of water and walk it helps you to recover faster
    • Posted

Yeah, my family are from Sardegna and my cousins out there are even more petite than me!

I was really fit up until xmas as I love going to the gym so I had a really strong core and barely any fat on me, apart from at times my tummy looking like I was pregnant due to the fibroid😳 Obviously never went to lose weight or anything, just to keep fit. Am looking forward to recovering so I can get back exercising.

I've been walking quite a bit but my body soon tells me if I've overdone it as I feel wiped out. Not sure how much we are supposed to do at this stage or how far / long we should be walking???

• Posted

Ask your dr if I can start doing low impact I just got the ok at 3 weeks
    • Posted

I'm sure I can and def by next week but I know my body isn't ready yet. I'm still badly bruised in my pelvic area and it's now come out a bit around my incision and my tummy is sore so I'll only aggravate it all.

Walking is my best option at the moment but I still need to be careful how long I'm on my feet for doing that otherwise I get wiped out....patience eh....

Did you have an abdominal incision or robotic? Did you have a fibroid removed? Sorry I cannot remember!

• Posted

I had my fibroids that were the size of a 22 week old baby and my cervix and Fallopian tubes removed
    • Posted

Similar to me then although my fibroid was slightly smaller. It was measuring 8x8cm in November but had grown by the op. Didn't have my cervix out though. Did you have a bikini incision? Was it your first fibroid?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.