5 and a half weeks post RTHR

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm just wondering where I am in terms of recovery. I don't see my consultant until 12 weeks so it feels a bit isolating on your own. This is what I am doing: walking with one crutch - 10 mins X 5 a day, exercises X 10 of each 4 X a day (standing leg raises, half squats, standing abductors etc)

I have tried walking unaided and I'm just too wobbly. I had a terrible limp prior to surgery and I feel as though I'm having to relearn everything. I've got swelling around my knee and also around my outer thigh (above and below the incision) the incision itself looks fine. I'm 49 and go back to work at the beginning of Sept. I'm impatient to drive but there doesn't seem much hope of that yet. I'm seeing physio for the first time next week. It will be a relief just to speak to someone about it. Many thanks

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It is a bit lonely to begin with, and very frustrating. But seeing the physio is a massive help. I remember being very much happier after seeing her and other patients in various stages of recovery. Hang on in there! If you can do standing leg raises, half squats etc, you sound fine to me. Physio will be a ball.
  • Posted

Hi Jacqui. Welcome to the hippie forum if you are new.. I felt like you, kind of on my own after the op. Physio every 2 weeks has helped both for exercises and getting info on recovery and info. I ended up initiating Appts. with my family doctor when I had concerns. At 12 weeks I was worried about my slow recovery and so I initiated an appt. with my surgeon.  So you could hopefully use same options if needed for support and input.

Cathy😊

• Posted

Hi Cathy ??

Thank you so much for your reply...yes I am new here and goodness I wish I had found you all sooner!! That's so typically me ??

I've decided I'm going to have physio sessions regularly, I will have to pay but I don't mind that.

Take care

Jacqui

• Posted

It sounds like your doing well. When your ready you will be walking without a cane. 

Keep up with your exercises very important. Your therapist next week will help with any questions you may have and help teach you how to get strong and build muscle strength. But the queerest are the most important to build back core strength. Those a are the muscles that help hold your body up .

Ice your knee and give it rest. Talk to your therapist. Squats are good for knees. I had the same problem. It takes time to recover from major surgery.

best of luck .

• Posted

Spell check to it gain, sorry..But the queerest = Butt squeezes.
    • Posted

LOL. I really couldn't figure out what you meant there, Hope4cure!

• Posted

hi jacqui,

im roughly the same time, post lthr. im reluctant to push myself much further than the exercises, given, by my physios, in hospital, until i see my consultant, next week.

im not thinking of driving, yet, but im sure that with the proper amount of rest and build up of exercises, it shouldnt be a problem.

advice i have follwed is keep in mind, just how big an op, it actually is and therefore, dont under estimate the amount  of healing time and rest, you actually need.

if i put that into context, as a rugby coach, who is still hoping to train 2 x week, whilst its currently frustrating, the bigger goal is a full and proper recovery.

im not rushing, trying to be patient and hoping my body knows what to do.

good luck; im sure you will get there.

chris

• Posted

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply, I too am reluctant to push myself too far but always wonder deep down if I could go that extra bit further. Human nature I guess and the fact that I miss going to the gym and simply just 'doing' things.

It's like I've got the wrong instruction manual for a new piece of equipment and I just can't work it out!!! ??

Time and patience I think

Jacqui

• Posted

i think "time, patience", but with te right, positive mindset, which it sounds like you certainly have (as do most of the contributors on this site, to be honest)

best of luck.

chris

• Posted

Jacqui,

Everyone is different I am 5 weeks post rthr posterior. I am feeling fortunate that I was walking with a cane at 7 days no cane and driving at 2.5 weeks still have swelling around the knee and the incission. I'm surprised your surgeon does not want to see you at six weeks. I'm going in to mine tomorrow and they will x ray it and measure for length. They said this will be done again at 12 weeks. Hoping to get rid of the 90 degree rule also. Go slow and do your pt. I know I'm very nervous about going back to work after twelve weeks I'm a welder and need to be able to climb ladders staging and crawl on my hands and knees. And do 9 stories of stairs. No light duty work allowed in my trade. I'm 55 years young. I feel so much better 100% then before. Good luck to you!! Regards Red

• Posted

Hi Red,

Great to hear from you and wow week done on the recovery so far!!! That's great news ??

I had an X Ray on discharge but don't know when I will have another. I haven't even seen a nurse as I had skin glue so no staples to be taken out. I can only think that there are differences in where you live as to the aftercare you get.

Keep up the good work ????

Jacqui

• Posted

Hi Jacqui -- You're just about one week further along than I am.  It's too bad that you've had to wait so long to see anyone.  I would have found that very frustrating/scary/isolating.  I saw a nurse at 2.5 weeks to remove staples.  A Physio at 3 weeks for exercises (here in Victoria, Canada, we see a Physio at 3, 6, and 9 weeks).  Tomorrow (4.5 weeks) I'll get new X-rays and see my surgeon.  I feel very well taken care of though I've been jealous of the people who had nurses and physios coming to their homes shortly after their surgery.

I am too wobbly to walk on my own, too.  I use a cane indoors and a 4-wheeled walker outdoors.  Like you, I had quite a limp before my surgery so I'm working hard at training my body to not limp.  I feel if I walk without the cane, I immediately start to limp -- esp with that t-gait (trendelenburg gait) which I think is due to weak glutes and abductors.  So I think those have to be strengthened more.   Someone mentioned bum (glute) clenchers and those are a great idea.  I try to do them lots while I'm sitting watching tv.

I'm impatient to drive too.  I'm thinking at the 6-week Physio appt they will assess me to see if I'm OK to drive.  I think you have to be off any opioids and then there must be some physical tests.  Oh, I see you have a right hip replacement.  I think it's longer for right hips because you are using the brake and gas pedals with that surgical leg.  I'm left hip so my nonsurgical leg will be doing the harder work.

It sounds like you're doing a great job with your walking and your exercises!

Take care,

Leslie

• Posted

Hi Leslie,

Wow I'm the UK and I'm just not getting any of that input. Ah well I'm just hoping that the physio will answer all my queries - I have an incredibly long list ??

I would love another X Ray...just to give me some comfort that all is ok really. It's funny this being in limbo...I'm not the patient I was, but then again I'm no where near recovered. It's enough to drive you a little bit daft ??

Jacqui

• Posted

LOL. It can drive you a little bit daft!  It's too bad you don't get more input.  I would find that frustrating for sure.  However, it is so great that you are on this forum.  The knowledge and experience here is amazing.  Probably better care/attention than you would get going out somewhere!  I would say start asking questions off that list here!  (Though I do know it is nice to see someone in person and to have them see what it is that you're doing....hope you'll have that before too long.). Hugs,  Leslie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.