5 weeks after total knee replacement and knee gives way every so after.

Posted , 22 users are following.

Hi everyone. I had a complex total knee replacement 5 weeks ago. My surgeon told me my maximum bend will be 90 degrees which I am little concerned about. I can just get the 90 degress.. my knee Also on accasionsale gives way, I was wondering if this is normal? I am only 41 years old. I still can't walk without a crutch and I struggle with quad exercises. I am still on fairly strong pain killers. I feel that I am not doing great. Any advice please.

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello to everyone who has replied to me, I just want to say thank you all so very much, in just the space of a few hours I already feel 100 % more positive towards my recovery. Everyone on here that has been through a tkr are amazing. I didn't dream on it being this difficult. I never got any information from my surgeon, he told me I needed a tkr and that my old knee had severe osteoarthritis and severely deformed. And a new knee would give me a better quality of life. I'm just looking forward to more active life in the coming months. Thank you every one so much

• Posted

Hi michelle. My surgeon says the knee gives way because the muscles are weak. I really am trying to build up my quads as they need constant exercise to stay strong. They do a lot of work. Ask your physio for quad strengthening exercises and if you can, do them as much as possible. I had both knees done 3 months ago and these quad exercises do work! Sending you warm wishes from cold Sydney.
    • Posted

Wow, both knees! Your amazing. I'm finding it difficult with one knee. I'm in the UK, and I won't see my surgeon for another month yet, and that will be the first time since my surgery. Even then I didn't actually see him, I saw his junior doctor. I am not pleased that the only time I have actually seen him was on my first consultation when he told how my knee was and that I needed a tkr, he put me on the waiting list, a year later I was at hospital having the surgery and have not seen him since that first and only consultation. Which is why I think I have so many questions in my head, and why I was so pleased to find this website which has truely amazing. The response from people is overwhelming. I can't not thank every one that has taken time to help answer questions, and knowing that strangers are so kind, shows that this world not full off all bad things that we see on the news everyday, there is kind and caring people out there. I hope your doing well with your recovery as it must be twice as difficult for you. A true inspiration. ??

• Posted

Michelle, I only found this forum yesterday and I totally know what you mean when you say you feel 100% better after reading all the responses. I did too. It lifted me out of an awful depression over what I thought was a bad recovery. I believe, if the doctors told us just how long and how bad our recovery would truly be, none of us would go through with the surgery! smile Stay positive! 

• Posted

Michelle, I'm not sure what a complex total knee replacement means, so there might be more than I understand. Like why a maximum bend of only 90 degrees. My knees would give away too (I had both replaced at the same time). It was scary, but at 50 years, I had decided I wasn't going to let fear stop me. Once those quads are built up and the muscles around the knees do what they are supposed to do, things will feel more stable. Initially I want to say lucky you for strong drugs, mine were minimal from the get go. But you may try to lower that to something else, via your doctor of course. What sort of physical therapy do you have going on? Do you have enough variety for you to do on your own? If not, you can google a ton of different exercies.

• Posted

Hi ya. Thank you so much for taking time to reply. The complex TKR is due to my brittle bones disease and severe deformity to my old knee and tibia caused by previous multiple fractures. It was not an easy operation for the surgeon. I am doing my exercises at home to a strict schedule, as I know how important they are. I haven't seen much of physiotherapist. I have had 3 half hour sessionsessions in 7 weeks. I am due to have another session this Friday. I have been given some great exercises to do from this site and a lovely lady who also took time to reply. My pain Meds are co codyromol. Which is working andays not as strong as I was on. I also take 800 mg ibuprofen twice daily for my ankylosing spondylitis (atrhitis to my spine) . I still am so scared of my new giving way again as if I fall I am very high risk of a fracture. I wished I could over come this fear. I will be discussing it on Friday with pt. I called my surgeons secretary on Tuesday and he has gone on holiday for 2 weeks, still waiting for a call back. Thank you again so much. Your amazing, both knees replaced. A true inspiration. Thank you for the encouragement. I hope you are recovering well.

• Posted

Michelle, I'm so sorry to hear about the disease and understnd the fear of falling. The danger of giving into that fear is very real. My grandma was fearful and ended up staying in a wheelchair as she never regained the strength. I think that's part of what pushed me ahead. I think I saw that you are in the UK, which means the weather and available facilities may be very different, but I wonder if you could find a pool to exercise in. You could run and jump and do all kinds of moves in the water with no need to be concerned about falling. I did a lot of exercise in the pool before and after my surgery. I'm glad you've gotten a lot of exercise ideas from others in the forum. I was 3 months post op when I found this site and felt a huge relief (of course, I wished I'd found it earlier). I found out that the pains and struggles I had were normal. Ah, to be normal. I was in India at the time and though I had a great surgeon, Indian doctors don't typically do well with questions. And really, they know the text book reasons and expectations, but people here know it because they lived it. I'm glad it's a comfort for you. I'll be praying for the fear to decrease and for your muscles to increase. Hang in there.

-Mo

• Posted

Hi moandrieu. Thank you again. I am going to start using the local next week. I have had to wait for sister to be avail be to go with, again due to risks of slipping on the wet pool side. She available next week, thankfully. I can't wait to start doing more in the pool. I also need to be re educated on my walking, as I walkEd before with a severe limp due to my deformities in my leg. I also have an ankle fusion to my other leg, so I know it will be more difficultie for myself.. thank you for the story of your mum... it has certainly given my encouragement to over come my fear. I can not end up in a wheelchair.. I need to care for severely disabled son with cerebral palsy, he is totally dependant on a electric wheelchair. He needs me and need to get through this for him and my other 3 children. I do hope your mum is OK! Please send her my regards. I also send you all the very best wishes. Honestly a true inspiration.

• Posted

One thing I did in the pool was start out by simply walking. But not mindlessly. I was very concentrated on each movement and worked hard at reconditioning my mind. To those who've never been where we are, it may seem silly, but we have to recondition ourselves. You've got this...desire and a reason are 1/2 the battle.

• Posted

Hi mo. I too have had to embrace big changes in how I walk. My gait and speed is different to pre op. I find if I walk faster I have better control and balance. It is a weird feeling, to have to relearn simple skills like walking but with mindful intent I find I can walk almost normally. Thank you for your always informative input.
  • Posted

Hi Michelle

Im 39 yr old... And 4 month into recovery from tkr... It took 12 weeks for me too get to 110 degrees and I was told too get to 125 by 12 weeks so I think you are doing really well. I finally hit the 125 benchmark after having a manipulation done. But my muscles are still very weak and my knee still gives out. Still im working on building my muscles with squats...My dr say it can take a year to build the muscle back up. Especially since it was weak from cerebral palsy

• Posted

Hi ya,

Thank you for your reply. I am now 4 and half months into recovery. I am finally happy to say I'm doing well. Im walking unaided. I hurt after 15 mins of walking but definitely improving. My bend is now 115 degrees.. which is far more than the surgeon predicted at 90. My knee still occasionally gives way.. only when I'm standing for a long time. I'm still doing my exercises and ride a sationary bike and use a treadmill daily. I am now finally so pleased I had the operation. You must be so pleased with your progress. Your doing so very well. It's such a long journey to recovery for TKR. I wish you all the best for the furture . ...

• Posted

Hello

I am 5 weeks post bilateral knee replacement and feeling so frustrated with how slow my recovery seems to be going. I am 50 and totally underestimated just how big a deal this was going to be. I found this site and am so thankful to read other people's posts. I am really concerned with using the norco and can't seem to find the right balance of meds and pain management. What are some helpful hints on this. I don't have an addictive personality, but I am worried about getting addicted.

• Posted

After taking norco for 2-3 weeks I stopped. I felt like I had the flu for 2 days after that. I seem to get the same pain relief using Aleve
    • Posted

I'm coming up to 5 wks after tkr. Although useful, I hated the  narcotics.. I stayed on them for three weeks. I felt like a tweaker comin off them. I now use xtra strength Tylenol, 2 about every 8 hours, I smoke copious amounts of weed and ice in between. Get off those nasty drugs if you can.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.