5 weeks after total knee replacement and knee gives way every so after.

Posted , 22 users are following.

Hi everyone. I had a complex total knee replacement 5 weeks ago. My surgeon told me my maximum bend will be 90 degrees which I am little concerned about. I can just get the 90 degress.. my knee Also on accasionsale gives way, I was wondering if this is normal? I am only 41 years old. I still can't walk without a crutch and I struggle with quad exercises. I am still on fairly strong pain killers. I feel that I am not doing great. Any advice please.

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am also 5 weeks since a total knee replacement. My surgeon said my knee was much worse than he expected. I am 67. I began physical therapy 6 days after surgery. I can bend my knee 115 degrees, the expectation is 120-130 degrees. The therapy is painful but no pain no gain. I hope this is helpful and your recovery goes well, I'm hearing 6 months 

• Posted

Good morning.  I am a little over 4 weeks post total knee replacement.  I was on my knee too much this weekend because I cooked dinner.  Now my knee pain is bad.  The doctors office said this is common because most people at 4 weeks feel they have turned the corner and over due.  I am icing and elevating trying to get back where I was.  Any thoughts or input would be great.

Thanks

• Posted

Hello- I am one month and three days. I find it hard to stand long enough to cook a whole meal efficiently so I start preparing about noon and meander thru my day. I'm excercising and doing light housework, even a little gardening throughout the day but I take HOURS to devote to icing. I feel pretty darn good this morning and I try to be really nice to the knee. Maybe try cooking or doing laundry or whatever it is you're compelled to do while recovering, in increments of time instead of all at once. I'm still new.. still learning. You take care

• Posted

Colleen,

thanks for your input.  I guess my question is how many days does it take to feel better after too much standing/ use of my new knee.  I know everyone is different.  Just more of a question from others experience .

• Posted

I never saw this post til now, so the answer would be for me, after a long time on my feet, ice and rest for the rest of the day- maybe 4-5 hours . Light stretching. How are you doin these days? I'm starting my ninth week and I still feel like a weinie. I'm not driving yet( I have a four wd jeep so I need more leg strength) and I have discovered the ease of grocery delivery. Sometimes I feel like I'm healing so slow but when I think about my personal progress, time has flown when every day is a day of getting more normal. What a weird surgery

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

I had TKR on Jan 31 18 and was doing really well, have been going to PT, since walking on the treadmill there my knee is swelling really bad and the pain is sometrs unbearable. I have started taking my pain meds again. My bend is great @ 120 and I feel good, should this be happening. Thanks Sharon

• Posted

Hi Michelle had a knee replacement 5 weeks ago was in a lot of pain up till yesterday when I took my surgical stockings off today is best say I gave had had no pain killers for last 9 hrs for finger my knee getting stronger I felt the Same that I was going back the way I think patience is the big thing my surgeon says it can take up to a yr to fully recover I have 102 degree flexion on knee so a bit to go yet and my ankle was fused 17yrs ago so this is a disadvantage as I tend to use my good knee more than my operated knee hang in there Michelle all will come well duncan
  • Posted

I have learned so much reading all the comments. I am find I am doing ok even when I'm thinking I'm not 😀 I am beginning to drive again but after sitting for a long time I have trouble getting my leg to want to move like it should , but I guess what should I expect after just 5 weeks. Good luck to everyone else 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.