5 weeks in and still struggling.....!!!

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice if possible. I've been taking Citalopram for the last 5 weeks (1 week on 10mg and 4 weeks on 20mg). I am taking them to help me deal / manage depression and anxiety.

I've persisted with them, taking it week by week. I've had some of the common, but more manageable side effects, such as difficulty sleeping. Unfortunately however, I've been feeling seriously 'disconnected' with daily life and would go as far as saying that they're acting like a mild sedative. I barely feel any positive or negative emotions toward anything. This has been the case since I started taking them.

I've been to see my GP on a number of occasions and he has almost dismissed this as being possible...

I'm in a bit of a difficult position as to whether to continue taking them, or to ditch them altogether. I had a similar experience with Sertaline earlier in the year and had to stop taking them after 4 weeks for the same reason.

Any advice or guidance people have would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Tom

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Are you still taking questions in this forum? I'm currently on citalopram for 5 weeks. 1 week 10mg and 3 weeks 20mg and 1 week 25mg. I am still waking up every morning with terrible anxiety. I was having good spells at night which gave me some relief. But the last 3 nights I've been getting anxiety at night as well. I am anxious all day now and I'm at my wits end. I'm trying to keep busy , by working when i can ,exercising by walking and tries to keep thoughts at bay. I'm always shakey inside and was hiding from the world for a while, but trying to get out when I work up the courage. I was on Paxil years ago and it worked for 16 years. I got off of them and relapsed years later. They then put me on Zoloft, cause Paxil didn't work for me the second time. I took that for a year, then weaned myself off. That's appr 10 years ago. I've now gotten into another bout of anxiety which I am now on Citalopram because Zoloft didn't work anymore, it made my anxiety go through the roof. So now I'm on Citalopram which doesn't seem to be working. Is it still too early to tell? Katycogs any suggestions? **

• Posted

I've replied to your other post and messaged you too.

• Posted

how are the feeling on the citalopram now? ive started it 1 week on 10mg and 2 weeks on 20mg my anxiety is terrible im not eating or sleeping and shaking nothing seems to be helping any advice would be good xx

• Edited

Hi Sam. I private messaged you. What you're feeling is very normal. Ive had all those symptoms and much more. I lost 25 lbs in the run of 2 and a half months. I had absolutely no appetite whatsoever. Sleep, I had about 2 hours a night...tops.. It is too early to notice anything since you've only been 3 weeks in. I'm in now for about 3 and a half months on Citalopram. I still have symptoms but they are slowly tapering off. It may take you weeks/months to see any changes as not everyone is the same. Some people it may take only a month and they see a difference, while others like myself, is taking longer. I've noticed on this site some people have taken as long as 9 months to finally feel better. I know it's a struggle, believe me I get it, but these meds take a long time to get in our system and the changes you see will be so slow until one day you notice a little difference. Hang in there. We are not alone.

• Posted

thank you @barb97671 for your reply.. a long road to go for me then it seems like forever already and its only been weeks.. hope your feeling ok x

• Edited

I know what you mean when you say it feels like forever. Im getting there..slowly. One day at a time. I still keep coming back to this site for reassurance that it's not only me going through this. We are not alone. We need to help each other... keep faith, you Will get there.. 👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.