5 weeks off and only just starting to het withdrawals

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone haven't posted in a. While

As you know I've had to come off mirtazapine quite quickly as was causing more anxiety and panic attacks

I am pleased to say that I'm 5 and a half weeks free of this med. I didn't manage to do it completely alone. Doc gave me some olanzapine to take to help level out the withdrawal. I was all over the place. And also put me on sleeping tabs just a low dose until I ride these affects out.

My question is. Has anyone else come completely off and then didn't get any bad withdrawals until over a month after. I've seen someone post on here about protracted withdrawals and wondered if this should be the case for me. Also. How long until I can expect to feel back to normal. The nausea atm is crippling as is the morning depression/anxiety. I'm allowed benzo's but I don't like the effects I've had enough of being a zombie. Also some days I wake up feeling better thinking I'm on the way up to be hit the very next day with crippling anxiety.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hope you are all doing well

S x

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don't personally believe that you can have no WDs and then suddenly get them after over a month off mirtazapine. It appeared that it had happened to me and some on here said it was delayed WD. As it turned out, it was hyperthyroidism and the mirt had just been covering it up. The symptoms were identical.

?In your case, you also have the complication of the benzos you have been taking. You could be getting WDs from those. I don't believe it is WD from the mirt. Obviously, if you stop any AD before you are properly well, then your depression symptoms can return. That, IMO is more likely than being fine for 5 weeks and then suddenly getting WD. Whilst you can have protracted WD, the symptoms usually start within a few days. It could be that you were having symptoms but they were being covered up by the other meds you were given. This too is a more likely explanation than WD being delayed for over a month. I hope things get better for you soon.

• Posted

Hi evergreen

Thanks for getting back to me. I agree I think the olanzapine has cushioned the withdrawal so that's why I'm feeling the effects weeks later.

I am now 8 weeks free of mirt but I'm bed bound with crippling achey body! Been like it for 3days living off pain killers. Will they eventually subside like the other symptoms?

Hope you're doingwell

S xl

• Posted

Hi Suzannah

I too am tapering off mirtazapine. 15mg at the min at night and going to go to 7.5 from next week. I have developed massive anxiety from it and had to double my clonazepam from .5mg to 1mg just to be able to leave the house. It's been incredibly bad stomach wise and I get where you are coming from. I know from a friends experience she took olanzapine for withdrawal from another med and it made her much worse. Her anxiety increased and she could barely function. So there could be that.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi sweeswee

Well done to you how are you feeling now?

Its a long drawn out process just go at your own pace.

The olanzapine has helped alot thankfully benzo weren't helping but they did. The withdrawal was making me manic.

Anxiety isn't as bad now I just ache.....everywhere!! Especially my hips lower back and shoulders.

S x

• Posted

Also I take lanzerapole and anti sickness every morning when nausea is at it's worst. Seems to be controlling it for now

S x

• Posted

Wow its been rough ha. So much so I felt I was cracking up. Spent the last week on the couch or in bed. Hopefully this will pass soon. Hope you are doing well
    • Posted

How did you sleep? Are you itchy? I took mirt 6 months for depression and anxiety. from 7.5 mg stopped 9 days ago. Since I started mirt I have had burning chest sensation. It's a rollar coaster ride. Hope u r well.

• Posted

I don't sleep. The first couple of days were ok a little later than usual. Since then not a wink of sleep. My arm all broke out in hives too. So will see what happens and will this stop soon

• Posted

Hi

Poor you I've heard about the hives but have seemed to escape that one. But I'm right with you on the poor sleep and being house bound. I also have terrible sweats stomach issues nausea and if I do sleep I wake stupidly early. And headaches feel like my heads full of cotton wool. Also have some tearful moments but that's not too bad.

I hope it sods off for all of us soon

S x

• Posted

Hey Suzannah

Same for you hope it all stops soon.. yeah with you on the sweats too . The hives were weird like one whole arm came out in hives and that was it. If it wasnt so itchy at the time it was almost comical. No harm in the teary moments they help sometimes.

Look after yourself x

• Posted

Tears can be therapeutic but not when you're stood in tesco haha.

Are you taking an anti histamine? Sounds awful

Hope you feel better soon

S x

• Posted

Ha that's true. But it might buck up their customer service ha. Thanks you too

😊 x

• Posted

How do you manage with no sleep? I started mirt back up two nights ago again. I couldn't deal with no sleep and itches. Instantly the itches went away and I have slept fine. Mirt does the trick I just don't like meds. Hope u sleep soon.

• Posted

I actually had to give in and start on 15mg again as not sleeping for a week had messed me up. I see my doc next Wednesday. Not hopeful of what will happen but i got 5 hours broken sleep last night which was a 4.5hr improvement. 😣

• Posted

I'm also off mirt been about a month now still feeling nausea and headaches my Dr says it's out of my system so maybe this is the last of it which could be for you too ?? hang in there Susannah wishing you well

• Posted

Hi cat

Well done to yousmile

I'm still a little queasy but anti sicknesses seem to deal with that I just ache now.

Did you ache?

S x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.