5 weeks off and only just starting to het withdrawals

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone haven't posted in a. While

As you know I've had to come off mirtazapine quite quickly as was causing more anxiety and panic attacks

I am pleased to say that I'm 5 and a half weeks free of this med. I didn't manage to do it completely alone. Doc gave me some olanzapine to take to help level out the withdrawal. I was all over the place. And also put me on sleeping tabs just a low dose until I ride these affects out.

My question is. Has anyone else come completely off and then didn't get any bad withdrawals until over a month after. I've seen someone post on here about protracted withdrawals and wondered if this should be the case for me. Also. How long until I can expect to feel back to normal. The nausea atm is crippling as is the morning depression/anxiety. I'm allowed benzo's but I don't like the effects I've had enough of being a zombie. Also some days I wake up feeling better thinking I'm on the way up to be hit the very next day with crippling anxiety.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hope you are all doing well

S x

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

No, that's 99% likely just your anxiety symptoms returning. Which is totally normal. Unpleasant but normal.

That happened to me too!

• Posted

Hi mud

I'm really hoping this isn't the case and anxiety seems a little better now. I just ache. Have a pdoc app next Tues so will let you know what he says. God I hope no more meds. My tummy still hasn't recovered.

S x

• Posted

Nausea is the worst symptom ugh, along with anxiety of course ! ... just talking about that on another forum Suzannah.  

For nausea:  Zofran (Trade name) typically used for drug wd, also known as Ondansetron.  Helps with not only nausea but anxiety and sleep. Might want to google and look into it.  Need to check with your doctor to get this, make sure you can take it alongside the other meds you have there.

Credit to Rose, who used to be on this forum smile  

It's not an AD and not habit forming.

Your good day/bad day scenario that you describe, (bless you) yes Mirt discontinuation can cause that, we call it windows and waves, coming in and out, yuk!   

Hope some of this helps a little x

• Posted

Hi calmer nice to hear from you smile

The doc gave me stemetil which is doing the trick ATM also good for anxiety and sleep which isn't ideal during the day lol.

Is the one you mentioned non drowsy?

How are you anyway?

S x

• Posted

I went off the last shred of mirtazapine I was still taking only very recently, so I haven't the perspective needed to know what the long-term effects will be. However, mirt withdrawal was handled pretty casually by my various doctors (from 45 to 30 mg and then from 30 to 15 mg. in a couple months), with no apparent ill effects until I went to 7.5 mg. on my own and then--whoa, Nelly--began after a couple of weeks to have intermittent crushing chest pressure sensations that  would last for hours and that baffled both my Primary Care doc and my psychiatrist.  Several days after I stopped the by-then 3.75 mg. doses of the mirt, those chest sensations also stopped. Both I and the people that know me well are increasingly disappointed in a medical profession that in prescribing such pills unlooses a hydra-headed monster the consequences of which they know little or nothing about. 

• Posted

Hi kit

Its true they've never taken these meds so wouldn't have a clue what we're going through.

well done to you!

Mirtazapine gave me terrible physical anxiety especially at the highest doses. Doc said couldn't possibly be the meds and left me on them a further 3years.

Anxiety is much better now.

S x

• Posted

HI Kit.

Nice to hear that you are off Mirtazapine. How are you doing now..?? Were you on any other medication together with the Mirtazapine??? How is the sleep and your life in general now???

I am asking because i am slowly tapering Mirtazapine myself. I have gone from 15Mg to 11Mg from 4th of July and will do another drop today or tomorrow.

All the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.