5 weeks post o.o TKR

Posted , 17 users are following.

This is the biggest mistake I've made. Nothing but pain and not just minor. I am a very tough cookie and this is been the biggest depression I have ever faced. I am at 90 degree on my bend. The knee refuses to go further. My shin, feet and hip hurt just as bad. I can't sleep well and I eat and I feel like crap. I have to go back to work in 2 weeks. I can barley get through a day now. I just want to lay on bed with my new best friend...my icepack..

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I totally understand how u feel I had mine 4 weeks ago and don't seem to b making any headway I also have a 99 degree bend and I am flat out trying to rectify it. I attended physio today and she told me I need to b doing my exercises nearly nonstop . Like u I feel like absolute crap but people tell me this will all pass I can only hope and pray it does

• Posted

Thanks Christine

That's all I do is pray and ask what I did so wrong to deserve all this pain I am a nice person I treat people well I do anything and everything for anybody so yeah it makes you wonder what you've done so wrong in life to deserve this

• Posted

Hi Christine,

Only 4 weeks gone and you're at 99 degrees, sounds like a fantastic achievement. Both you and the Physio seem to have got it spot on. I'd say that is one of the best recoveries I've read on this site over the past two years.

Well done.

Take care ,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Irish al sorry I got that wrong I meant to say that I only have a 30 degree bend and am finding it really tough.not very good at maths. I'm finding it an enormous struggle and feel I'm getting nowhere if u have any advice it would b greatly welcomed

• Posted

You can get dr certificate if your not ready to go back to work, don’t rush back.

Get an ‘Aircast’ ice knee pack, can get online and use it after exercise,

even if you can only do a little each time.

I have felt that I had hit ‘Hell’ full on for the first 4 weeks. Crying ,depression and why did I do this.

I found that when I went to bed for the first four weeks I had to sleep almost sitting up in bed, and that’s normal, I also have pillows each side of my knee.

You can also get ‘controlled’ pain relief from your doctor.

Take one day at a time and press on with the physio, it’s a killer but it will hurt.

If you find its a problem, you must speak to your physio.

Hope this helps. Sue

• Posted

Hi

I had my TKR 8 weeks ago yesterday and the knee feels constantly stiff an I am walking upstairs unaided and not using crutch or bannister but coming down I hold on to the banister. I have a lump half way down beneath my knee and my leg is still swollen although nothing like it was still about 1 inch to 2 inch bigger than other side. As regards to work I have in mind 12 weeks to return with a phased return. However it can’t be rushed as I have a manual on my feet job 8 hours a day which involves a lot of knee bending and lifting. Keep positive if possible 

• Posted

Hi Mick I'm 5 weeks into recovery and like Michelle I can't see any light at the end of tunnel. I have a really bad bend to my operated knee and my physio says I need to exercise flat out to rectify this. Normally I'm a very active person but now I feel as if I'm confined to house my family take me out in car now and again but after half an hour I get really uncomfortable and have to go home. I found your comment really helpful but still feel as if I'm getting nowhere

• Posted

Hi Mick I’ve just read your post and I’m 5weeks post op too with a not so good bend, just got my first physio appt next Mon which I’m not looking forward too. LOL! I was wondering what your bend is as in Degree? 
    • Posted

Hi to be honest the number he told me went in one ear and out the other as I was concentrating on the bend and nothing else. I’m back on Monday for my third session and I’ll listen this time and get back to you. Any other assistance or chat on my situation that may help you . I’m here 
    • Posted

Me personally I’m 8 weeks after and for me it’s getting some walking duration time in which I need to do to get the strength back in. Like you I’m being driven around as I don’t feel confident enough to drive ( although some probably do , we are all different so do at your pace and don’t feel pressured by others. Feel free to talk again and hopefully I can share my issues that may be of help in the coming weeks if you want 
    • Posted

Thank you Mick and I’m off for my first appt on Monday. I’m really nervous as I think my bend is only about 30degree. 

I’ll send you a wee message on Monday to see how you get on. I’m off to do some exercises just now. 😢😢😂

• Posted

Hi!  I had both my knees done 3 months ago and understand what you are going through. I didn’t have much pain but burning especially at night so slept very little. My bend in one knee stayed at 74 degrees for over 2 months. Now it is bending at 100-110 and the better one 115-120  I’m still having trouble sleeping in my bed, but definitely getting rest in the recliner. I don’t think any one one of us realize how tough recovery is and that its at least 4-6 months to get some of your normal life back. Depression occurs because you are not getting the needed rest and/or sleep. Ice often, go to PT, try to do exercises on your own whenever the pain permits. Have friends visit. It DOES get better. Good luck to you

• Posted

Like many, I'm guessing your surgeon didn't do much prep work when it came to explaining the post op situation. Just sort of dumped you of on the therapists who are pushing for numbers. Look at Chico Marx's receptor for rehab. Now, start by giving yourself a couple days rest. Hydrate thoroughly with lots of water, elevate and keep up with the ice and pain meds. Now start slowly with leg lifts and heel slides. Don't get caught up with the 3 times a day stuff because it may not be right for you. Now gradually, start adding in the rest of the exercises. 6 weeks is the 1st bench Mark for recovery and 13 is the next. The basic mantra for the rehab is this is a marathon not a sprint and we are all different...don't try to base your recovery on someone else's. I'm 11 surgeries and 5 complete rehab into this thing and have been fighting it for almost 16 years. Mine is due to a rare tumor (1 in 2 million) so it can't be put in the same category as most as far as why I had the surgery but, I can guarantee every step has been different each time I've been through the process. Rest, the body will not heal as effectively if it is worn out. Eat, not big meals but high protein such as chicken, fish a nd eggs. Slow and steady. Stay with the folks on here. They have been through it and are the experts. Another couple of months and you'll be the one giving instead of asking for advice. One nice thing about this forum, its world wide and someone is on here day and night for you to talk to, rant about or be a should to lean on. Hang in there...you will get better even though its hard to believe.

• Posted

hate to say it, but not a good idea going back to work yet, im 13 weeks post op, cant see myself going back to work this year, , if you go back you will go backwards and regret it ( sorry), its a long and painfull process, just got to keep up the exercises and icing, dont overdo your exercises, i am starting to feel the benefits frustrating as it maybe. be patient, you will get better as days, weeks go on. chin up.
  • Posted

Hang in there Michelle. It's still early yet in your healing. I had mine done both TKR on the same day. 10 years ago. I was back to work (standing) on week 4. Back on my Harley on wk 7. We all heal differently because of maybe other challenges in our bodies during those same times? I don't know. But I have friends also that are on a completely different course then I am. Now I'm laid up due to falling on grass (just from walking) and broke my femur. That ultimately screwed up my 'fake' knee by "loosening" it. But it took the dumb doctors a year to figure that out. Of course I was telling them this all along that my knee is lose cause it's twisting in place. 

Please just take it one day at a time. I know it's frustrating....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.