5 weeks post o.o TKR

Posted , 17 users are following.

This is the biggest mistake I've made. Nothing but pain and not just minor. I am a very tough cookie and this is been the biggest depression I have ever faced. I am at 90 degree on my bend. The knee refuses to go further. My shin, feet and hip hurt just as bad. I can't sleep well and I eat and I feel like crap. I have to go back to work in 2 weeks. I can barley get through a day now. I just want to lay on bed with my new best friend...my icepack..

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am 14 weeks post TKR.  At week 6 I was so depressed and like you thinking this was a big mistake.  That is when I went online and found this website.   It really helped to know I wasn't the only one feeling so frustrated.

At 12 weeks I had a MUA (manipulation under anesthesia)  because my ROM was stuck for 11 weeks at -5/100. Since the MUA, my ROM is now 0/128 and I can walk normally, go upstairs and if I don't have anything in my hands go downstairs.  It is wonderful!   I now believe I will be "normal" again.   

This surgery has taught me patience....something I never had before!  

• Posted

I too am having trouble getting my R O M past about 65 deg its like coming up against a brick wall  and have an appointment this week with the physiotherapist.

How long was you in hospital to have your manipulation under anaesthesia.

• Posted

That is how mine felt!  I was in at 8am and out eating lunch with my hubby at 11:30.  Then at 1:00pm that same day I was in PT.  The hardest part was for two weeks I was to do my ROM exercises every hour I was awake, go to PT every day and no unnessary walking and no strength building.  The surgeon said the scar tissue wants to come back.   
  • Posted

Hi Michelle I thought I'd be fully recovered in a couple of months, it didn't help when my consultant told me I should be back to work in 7 weeks post op. It turned out I was told unrealistic goals, I ended up going back to work on a phased return at 5 months I'm now 7 months post op and I'm managing full duties. If I overdo things my knee becomes sore all over with throbbing ligaments and tight muscles so I try not to that. It's important to get good pain meds, keep icing and elevating and getting on with your range of movement exercises. I ended up taking 10mg of amitriptyline at night which has helped an awful lot with sleep my GP said it would help with my mood also because lack of sleep can make you depressed. So hang in there and be a bit more patient, it does get better x

• Posted

Keep your chin up. I remember this oh so well. .it will get better. This forum saved me. So many kind people. Be easy on yourself. Take naps when you can eat or don't eat. Make YOU the number one priority.

• Posted

Thank you all. I need to come to this page daily . Because I find myself getting so angry because I am still in pain. I spend the littlest amount of time weather it b exercise or everyday walking and I swell up so bad and the pain is still awful. My shins, feet, calf and thigh are also painful...6 weeks on Friday?? Hard to believe it will get better it hasn't yet??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.