5 weeks post TKR and feeling quite low

Posted , 62 users are following.

I had my total knee replacement 5 weeks ago ..I've realised now that I certainly won't be ready to return to work after 6 weeks (I originally thought I would) I'm still taking tramadol occasionally and though I can walk without a crutch I find I limp so still use 1 crutch . I feel a little depressed , my back gets sore if I walk for a while I can only presume it's because I'm leaning over one side ...going up and down stairs still hurts and the operated knee clicks and grinds ..my thigh muscles still tight and I'm trying to stretch them out ..anyone else feeling down and frustrated?

6 likes, 198 replies

198 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm certainly feeling frustrated, I seem to have hit a plateau. I thought I would get back to work pretty quick but that's not going to happen. I'm 4 weeks and my aim is now get back to work for the Xmas party on the 10th of December lol. That'll be about 12-13 weeks

• Posted

its good to be positive but i cant see u bk at work yet but I suppose it depends on what job you do yes go to your Christmas party but will do you good and make you feel good I just had three months off with my knee replacement gone back to work finding it very difficult I do nights in a respite unit For adults with learning disabilities The support worker is not a problem but it’s the fact that they expect me to do all the cleaning and I just can’t do it as the leg is so painful but I need to work as i need the money and sick pay is only £18:00 per day

i was also told i would be up and running after 6 wks how delusional was I

• Posted

Kathleen, this was last year. I never did make that Christmas party. it was the end of January before I went back to work. Ironically it'll be the same this year again because I'm just waiting on a date for surgery for my other knee 🙄

• Posted

Thank you. The knee I had done last year is fantastic, so if this one ends up as good, I will be very happy

• Posted

Hi Penny, I too thought I would be ready at 6 weeks to return but wasn't. I just hit 9 weeks and still working on range of motion walking etc... I don't use anything while walking and sleep is still hard most nights but it's getting easier. Try to be easy on yourself and kind. I got this advice and found it so helpful in the end. I am constantly reminded this is a process & it does improve but unfortunately takes time! 

Hope this is helpful you're not alone. Hang in there & best wishes in recovery.

• Posted

Penny,

I think I should have done much more research before surgery.  Everyone seems to recuperate at different lengths of time.  I too have developed back pain and worry I will end up worse off than before the surgery.  I also worry that I won't be able to say "No" to the physio if I'm asked to do something I shouldn't be doing.  I'm also afraid I will aggravate my better knee requiring me to have more surgery.  I wonder will I know when it is time to get off the meds.  I should have asked the physio more questions at pre op but didn't know what to ask.  I thought I would be able to go back to work earlier than I will be able to.  Our bodies have gone through a lot of trauma from this surgery.  We need time to heal.  I started a little project having to do with my work.  It made me feel better accomplishing something even though it was easy.  I hope you feel better in the days ahead.  

• Posted

Hi Penny, I thought that I would have been able to return to work after 3 months! That was never going to happen! I’m a nurse, and my surgeon told me 6-9 months!!! I thought he was joking! He wasn’t.  I chose to take early retirement and devote the time to recovering.  I’m almost 11months now, and although I’m in a far, far better place than before, I still have occasional pain. I’ve come to realize that the old parts left behind still have some adjusting to do. I’m ready to go back to work now, but thinking only part time.  Working on that! 😉 I have seen many people in here talk about depression. I was more “angry” at myself for “doing this to myself!” You know....”what was I thinking” “I did this to myself”!!  As time went on, I got over it....because as time went in, I was able to do more. Last Saturday, we went to a Gala...and I danced. A LOT! This time last year, I could barely walk, and had to wear a brace on both knees. My other knee is responding very well to Synvisc One, so hope to avoid a second TKR for some time yet.  So, my message to you is, hang in there, don’t rush things. It took years for your knee to get to the point of replacement....give it time to heal. Good luck! Stay positive!

• Posted

I am dancing too! Seven months post op now! It's well worth all the effort isn't it! I can now enjoy going on a holiday because I can walk...this time last year I spent most of my holiday indoors sitting or doing physio exercises with resistance bands! 😯 much better now!😉

• Posted

Right?! It sure is a wonderful feeling! I can walk my dogs again...couldn’t take them around the block at the end pre-op... I was crying in my sleep with pain (so I’m told!)...sleep like a baby now.  😊

If I had to do the other knee, I would be much better prepared going in now.  For now though, Synvisc One is working well. No more pain like before!! 😁  As long as it works, every 6 months, I’m getting that shot!!

• Posted

What is Synvisc?I forgot if you are in UK or not, if so is it something someone can get on the NHS? Liking the sound of it...other knee a bit dodgey. ..not too bad, but thinking about the future!

Other knee got a lot worse after my now bionic knee done...but seems to have improved now. It is unlike the operated one, which had previous trauma injury, so i am going to hope that it may never see a drill and saw..though if it does hopefully when I am a lot older! 😃😁

• Posted

Synvisc One is an injection that can be given every 6 months as needed. It’s a gel-like substance that adds cushioning to the space in the knee joint. You can check it out on google.  It takes 3-4 weeks to be fully effective. I felt great soon after receiving the shot. It must be given by a rheumatologist or orthopaedic doc as placement is very important. I was wearing a brace for support on that knee before I had my other knee operated on. No more brace now. It is expensive... just a little under $500. It was covered by my work insurance before I retired. Oh! I am in Ontario, Canada. 
  • Edited

Hang in there! At 5 weeks post op, I was still feeling quite blue and discouraged. I was also stuck at about 90 degrees range of motion. 

At 6 or 6 1/2 weeks, I really seemed to turn a corner. I was moving better, feeling more encouraged, and all of a sudden had a gain of another 10 degrees.

I'm hoping you will find that you are feeling better and more encouraged sooner rather than later. 

Keep at the range of motion exercises and gentle movement, but be patient with your body. The increase will happen when your body is ready.

Sending you good thoughts and wishes for a quick and complete healing.

- Nora

• Posted

I’m so glad to hear this.  I am 51/2 weeks post op double knee replacements.   I have been so depressed crying every day.  I never could have imagined how difficult this is.  My PT did nit do much to help me get any range is motion now my knees are stuck at about 80 degrees.  My doctor is not happy and wants me to go to a different PT. But my ins only covers that place.   My doc is order me a splint to get my knees to bend. ( sounds painful ).  He also said that I am probably looking at a MUA.  I am trying to get range at home so I don’t have to do the MUA.  I’m hoping I can get past this point but it is so stiff and is very difficult to get the knees to bend.  Any reccomendayions?
    • Posted

Icing, Elevating and massage ing the leg, starting at the foot really helps the swelling and stiffness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.