5 weeks post TKR and feeling quite low

Posted , 62 users are following.

I had my total knee replacement 5 weeks ago ..I've realised now that I certainly won't be ready to return to work after 6 weeks (I originally thought I would) I'm still taking tramadol occasionally and though I can walk without a crutch I find I limp so still use 1 crutch . I feel a little depressed , my back gets sore if I walk for a while I can only presume it's because I'm leaning over one side ...going up and down stairs still hurts and the operated knee clicks and grinds ..my thigh muscles still tight and I'm trying to stretch them out ..anyone else feeling down and frustrated?

6 likes, 198 replies

198 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm in a similar situation as yourself , I was ok until I had my staples out, now I'm having a lot of pain,and struggle walking very far,and the pain killers aren't doing much, blood tests are clear, meeting the surgeon to get it checked out on Friday! Very frustrating,  I was driving at this stage when I had my TKR on the opposite leg earlier in the year

• Posted

Andrew,

I thought I'd feel better when staples were taken out but reverse is true.  Physio told me I'd feel better if I exercised more.   It just isn't true although I continue to exercise more.  Having more difficulty walking.  

• Posted

Hi Lywn, had TKR on left leg 7-9-17 had a really good 1st 2 weeks, before the staples were taken out ,and then I started getting quite a bit of pain all the time, the zapain & naproxen , and regular ice weren't  really touching the pain, I put up with it until this week thinking that it's the nature of the procedure , saw my Doctor,had a clear blood test for infection, he contacted my Surgeon,for an appointment tomorrow , and guess what, this morning I woke up, done my exercises, carried on with my day as normal ,the pain I have been getting has gone ,have had a really good day today , definitely cheered me up, so may be I have turned a corner,but I know there is still a long way to go, so keep positive!

I had my right TKR done on 19-4-17 and that behaved completely different,and although it's still got quite a way to go , it's really worth it!

• Posted

Thank you, Andrew.  I guess patience is the key here.  My back is sore.  I need to ask PT about back stretches 
  • Posted

Just read the other comments. Hang in there everyone. Pain meds....I was on percocets from post op (end of November) until mid February. My surgeon was awesome. I was afraid of becoming addicted. I weaned myself off of them. December & January, I took them every 4-6hrs as needed. Close to the end of January, I was taking them less and less. Definitely while doing physio, I suggest taking them before going, and icing afterwards. And you still need to rest. Driving...was my right knee, so not allowed to drive for 6-8 weeks. My sons & partner took me around if I needed to go somewhere. Week 2 Post-op, I attended a work party, walker and all. Week 5, I was using my cane when I attended our work Xmas party. As for work, took early retirement to focus on me! No way it was going to be possible to return when I thought!!  Sleeping was uncomfortable in the early weeks. As a side sleeper, it was difficult get comfortable...I managed by having a pillow behind my back, and another between my knees.  For the longest time, I could only turn to the operative side....but all is good now.  And...I often slept with the ice machine (Polar Ice machine) on at night. It was a life saver.  Just hang in there. It WILL get better! At this point, there’s not much choice as the operation is now behind you.  Take care. Wishing everyone success in this long recovery!

• Posted

Around this point seems a common low point. Remember it well...suddenly realised that though things a lot better, still so much further to go than expected. Hang on in there...in a month things will progress more quickly and three months....well, things really take off.

Try and do nice, enjoyable things and anything that lifts your spirit...music, comedy, company...

Now is the time, wether one likes it or not, to accept this is a kind of enforced retreat! Might as well see it like that and enjoy it as best one can.

Things do improve steadily, but cannot be rushed.

I found four month the most encouraging point. Six months felt all my energy back. Now seven months and over the moon.

Hope you feel better soon, even if the soon takes a while!

• Posted

Five weeks is very soon after Tkr , recovery cant be rushed , it takes as long as it takes . I don't think many return to work after 6 weeks . I was 6 months with both my knees , my job did involve some lifting , kneeling and quite a lot of driving . That was over 19 years ago for the first knee , and I have had no problems since .

• Posted

6 months? I've got a manual job too. Decor depth in B&Q, lifting heavy boxes of wallpaper, 10litres of paint and so on. 9 hours a day walking on concrete floors with steel toecap boots on. I'm really not looking forward to going back.

• Posted

I work in a school with 1000 teenage students running about, up and down with virtually no sitting so I’m definitely not returning at 6 weeks. Hoping my doctor can sign me off for another few weeks at least!
    • Posted

Good luck with your recovery , plenty of physio , exercise , ice and rest , but don't over do the physio or exercise , and don't forget pain medication . Try to make a full recovery before returning to work , your knee has to last a long time . 

• Posted

I got signed off from the hospital for 8 weeks and after that I'll go to the doctors to get more

• Posted

Ye David, I'm going to be sensible. I've to get my left knee done too so that's not helping. I'm thinking full sick pay runs out in 12 weeks though. Terrible you need to think of things like that isn't it

• Posted

It is awful having to think in terms of sick pay running out. I would have had to go on unemployment after mine ran out, which would not have covered the bills! Chose to retire instead, with the intention of going back part time when I was ready. My surgeon had me signed off for 6-9mths. 
    • Posted

I'm too young to retire, I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed I'm ready. If not at least my husband has a wage coming in but I work full time, I would definitely miss that

• Posted

I’m too young to be “fully” retired too. I’m 55, and as a Labour & delivery nurse, I do miss my job. That’s why I want to go back part time.  I’m working on that. Have to wait for a position to come open. 

• Posted

It makes it very difficult when sick pay runs out , extra worry to cope with as well as normal recovery . I was very fortunate I had full pay for 26 weeks . It is very unfair that workers have to suffer and struggle if they are sick , when some on benefits have no worries . 
    • Posted

I had 26 weeks too but used a lot being off due to both knees. You're right, it's us workers who suffer. I couldn't manage without my wage

• Posted

If patients were informed of the possible length of recovery , they would be able to prepare for the possible length of time off work without pay . I don't think many return to work under 3 months . Would be interesting to see a graph of how long recovery takes , from the shortest time to the longest . The good thing  is once you have recovered you can look forward to many years of pain free knees . I'm coming up to 20 .  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.