5 weeks post TKR can’t bend knee..

Posted , 17 users are following.

I can straighten my knee no problem but can’t bend it fully. Can anyone suggest anything that would help me achieve this.Thankyou.

3 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had surgery May 22 2018 and in rehab. Bending is about 85 degrees and straightening -15. Two weeks ago started having sciatica and this was preventing the bend. Have more pain from this as it goes right down my buttocks outer thigh and the it band around the knee cap. Have to refrain from certain exercises for now. Have gone back to my former physio therapist and she has been a great help. For straightening she suggested to sit in one chair and put leg up on same height chair and put an open book on thigh. Gravity will up. Make sure no other problems. Mine was sciatica so every thing will take time.

• Posted

Chico in this group has a lot of steps to help you. 

it is important “repetition” everyday, i thought i was a lost cause at the beginning of my PT, my bend was 30 degrees. PT taught me excercises to do at home, i faithfully did excercises, it didn’t seem like it was helping me.  i didn’t over do, you’ll  know your limits. Low and be hold I am walking with a cane today. my knee is gaining strength but i won’t lie, it’s painful to get through from 30 degrees to 90 degrees. 90 is your comfort point. After 90 I was doing more and more. 

Keep strong especially in the mind, the mind plays tricks on you to get you down.  Prayers for you to get through it. 

• Posted

Click on my name and then  "See All Discussions".  About 30 discussions (mind, body and spirit) out there.  Hope some can help.

• Posted

Hi i have had 3 hip replacements the 1st aged 39 years due to R/A.My knee has been the most painful to date still cannot bend it but have read your posts and taken it on board,also the tiredness rules my day thank-you for taking the time to reply very grateful
    • Posted

Thank you for encouraging me. I do exercises also at home and rehab 2x a week. My sciatic has put me back and also working with my physio therapist for stretching and massage. You have come along very well. Congrats to you.
    • Posted

I just read about your problem with sciatica and found it similar to my problem. I was out of alignment months before surgery. I was favouring my pre surgery knee and now post surgery, sciatica pain on both sides of lower back and down both thighs. I am working with a very good therapist. It takes time and patience. Thank you.
  • Posted

Plastic bag on bed. Bend good knee to take pressure off then slide bad leg soon to be good leg to bend using bag as slider. 

View Chico’s advise most certainly helped me. 

Good luck and persevere. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.