5 weeks post TKR need some advice

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had my TKR 5 weeks today and this last week has been the worst my knee seems to be going tighter so much that I can't do any exercises I've been taking co codamol every 4 hours even through the night as I'm not sleeping well at all. So Tuesday I decided to go to my GP and was given tramadol I took 2 yesterday morning at 6.30am by 11.30am I was vomiting dizzy shaking stayed in bed all day again today I haven't eaten except for a plain biscuit and some hot drinks I won't take tramadol ever again so back to co codamol even though I'm not getting any proper pain relief. Has anyone else had this experience

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm so sorry you're not feeling well. How scary to have a reaction. I take s 50mg Tramadol when I need it. If never had a reaction and I can be drug sensitive.

Better call your doctor again.

• Posted

I've always been very sensitive with medication but never had anything so bad it's put me off going back to my GP

• Posted

Eileen, sorry to hear you have so much fine. First 2 months I had crazy pain. I did not have the medications you mentioned but I had the same experience initially on Dilaudid. Lost 15 pounds in less than 4 weeks. But it is the only thing together with Ibuprofen that worked for pain man agent for me.

I suspect you are not in the US so I don't know what else is available over there or what they typically prescribe, but I want to strongly encourage you to be assertive in obtaining pain meds that works for you. It seems that the health professional is working with you in pain management so that is good. I do believe there must be alternatives.

I bit the bullet and suffered through the initial side effects and it went away with Dilaudid even though my appetite is still poor. But sometimes you just truly cannot tolerate a medication and I had that experience with Percocet. I am assuming you are icing,

Good luck and hope you find the right pain control!!!

• Posted

Thanks milla yes I'm icing and elevating I'm in the UK and tramadol is one of the strongest painkillers maybe I should of just taken 1 to begin with instead of 2 but I don't tolerate medication very well never had the need to take anything except for mild aspirin for the occasional headache but I suppose it's all trial and error

• Posted

Eileen, I am usually hypersensitive. If there is a "rare" side effect listed on a medication my luck is I am the one to get it.

Because of this I bought a pill cutter. I usually have to start out at the lowest dose possible. Vicodin I have to cut in quarters. Try crackers before. I really feel for you. I know the pain of this surgery.

• Posted

Yes I never take meds unless I eat a snack but tramadol is a capsule so I don't think you could cut them going to see how I feel in the morning if no better maybe go back to see my GP

• Posted

I took tramadol one dose and was ill for 4 days vomiting shaking almost in a coma Thes tablets are s narcotic and should be banned I took paracetamol and 2 codene separate as I found they worked better than cocodamol even though they're supposed to be the same only do the exercises moderately as it's a no win situation as too much causes more inflammation plenty

plenty of rest leg up bags of frozen peas message your knee with Biofreeze and the scar with EH45 twice a day i wrapped my knee with clingfilm for an hour before bedtime have some reading at the side of the bed and a night light for the times youre awake or iPad like I'm doing now lol However i can say the more walking you do at a later time in your recovery will help and most of forget those b...........tds who say they were better quicker than you they are everywhere I'm 72 12 weeks since TAKE and I say ill get there in my own time 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

• Posted

I agree with you Joan it's nearly 2 in the morning here and looks like no sleep again for me just browsing on the iPad I've been using biofreeze gel and ice packs only this last week my knee seems to be going tighter so much that I can't do any exercises but they will just have to wait thanks for your reply

• Posted

Eileen, you do need to go back to your GP and ask for something different.  Tell them how this affected you.  There are alternatives.  I think you need to be concentrating on the bend a bit more, even if it's gently.  Just push it to the stretch point not pushing it over the bad pain bit, so you don't lose what you've achieved.  Then maybe with the right tablets you can push it a bit more.  I know it must be a predicament - but you need to get the med right for you at this stage - it is really important, so go back and speak to your GP.  This could affect the rest of your life, so don't feel you're a nuisance going back or that they won't be able to find something to suit you - they will.  My heart goes out to you.

• Posted

I've just been to GO she thinks I might have an infection although it looks fine it's very hot so she's given me some antibiotics and anti sickness tablets said not to take the tramadol and something else can't think what it is my husband is waiting in pharmacy for them now so hopefully I'll get some pain relief soon hospital has also brought my appointment forward a week so I go on 19th

• Posted

Oh Eileen - yes I know heat can be a sign of an infection.  Mine is still warmer than the other leg, but not what I'd call hot.  I'm SO sorry you've now got this to deal with but it might just have caught it in time and make all the difference.  I'm SO SO pleased you went back!!!!!  Good that your appointment has been brought forward too.  I really hope you're feeling a lot better quickly now.  It will take a couple of days or so for the antibiotics to kick in maybe, but hopefully every day will be an improvement now.  Phew!

• Posted

Eileen, hope the antibiotics kick in soon and you get relief! Hang in there! ❤️
    • Posted

Thank you milla I've had all my medication changed and actually slept for 5 hours which was amazing woke up and finally eaten something and managed to do some exercises so fingers crossed x

• Posted

Thank goodness! I read up on Tramadol after your post and the side effects are quite extreme and really scary! (Hallucinations and psychosis??? 😱😱😱wink. Wow. So glad you are feeling better. Sleep can also do wonders.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.