50 and spotting

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hey everyone, I'm 50 and had a period (very light) and lasted 2 days in march then had very light

spotting for 2 days about 2 weeks after the light period. I'm supposed to be getting my period later thismonth. I am spotting again. Is this the norm for peri menopause, to spot a couple of times between

periods? or am I very close to not getting my periods anymore and entering menopause.

Thanks for this wonderful forum.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi ladies... this snippet may be helpful for some

Adrenal fatigue, for example, is a common secondary condition for many women going through perimenopause. B-vitamins support healthy adrenal function, along with calming and maintaining a healthy nervous system. Many women also suffer with mood swings during perimenopause. Both B12 and B6 vitamins aid in the production of neurotransmitters such as serotonin, a key brain chemical needed to stabilize moods and promote feelings of wellness and contentment.

For women who suffer with brain fog, and memory issues in perimenopause, low levels of B6 could be part of the problem. Depression, confusion, and an inability to concentrate are all associated with B6 deficiency. Vertigo, dizziness, and heart palpitations are also common complaints from women going through perimenopause. All of these symptoms have been associated with (among other things) a B12 deficiency. Vitamin B6 can also help with stubborn weight gain in perimenopause. It is key in the breakdown and utilization of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins in our diet, and is necessary for a healthy metabolism - both which can help manage weight.

a couple of days ago i started B6 so we shall see and i have B12 supps too...

Jay xx

• Posted

Madcow... ( oh i dont like calling you that ) 😐

i too have weird things in left ear only, like it needs to pop or something, all weird stuff and a runny nose on and off like a tap... hoping the B Vit ( posted above will help) seems it could be the problem, we need more B s in peri, i am trying this now... more Bs ... I only use to take B1 and that was to keep mozzys off me as they hate thiamine and they dont bit you, it does work ( i live in spain) so now i am taking as what i read posted above, see what happens.... i will keep you posted 😃 all of you have a lovely sunday... Jay xx

• Posted

Hi Jay...you did make me laugh!

My monika was never about my state of mental health (though it could be now!!), it stuck when I got married and my initials became CJD! lol

Reading all you've said about B6 and B12 deficiencies has got me thinking (no mean feat at times thanks to hormones!). I will look out for your posts to see how you get on - but I think I might just try them too, especially as, out of the blue, I had an awful day on Thursday when I would burst into tears at the drop of a hat and felt a terrible sense of impending doom.

Mind you, I have a wierd but strong empathy with a close friend who actually passed out and ended up in A and E on Thursday night, unbeknown to me until later. Is it possible my subconscious "knew "something was going to happen? It turned out to be severe dehydration and was easily fixed in the end - and my mood was back to sunny again, yet we are hundreds of miles apart!

Mood swings or premonitions?? Madcow is an apt name these days! smile

• Posted

Hi all,

I only say this as a result of spotting at the start of my menopause, I fortunately went for a check up and they found abnormal cells on a smear. End result hysterectomy. Was I glad I checked up.

Debness you really should go to the Doctor as spotting can be a sign of cervical cancer and should always be ruled out. I don't mean to frighten you as it does I admit though sound like the start of the menopause. Doesn't hurt to rule out things. As my nurse said to me better to check than be sorry.

This is mainly for Madcow and Jayneejay but to anyone else. I had the same symptoms you talk about years ago with my right ear. Went to Doc who sent me to ENT. I had an inner ear infection. No pain just whooshing sounds, popping in my ears and feeling off balance, dizzy and not very well. Couldn't stand being in a lift and actually passed out because of the change in air pressure as the lift changed floors. Caused by sinus trouble initially that had with a cold and I left untreated. Have either of you had a cold in the past few months that left you with sinus troubles this may not be related to the menopause. I think we tend to blame it for everything.

Good luck everyone. Hope you are all okay soon. smile

• Posted

Hi Chrisy,

I am actually about 12 months overdue for a smear test - I was having a load of medical issues from October 2012 onwards so put it off until I could walk properly again. I was just working out the best days to see the nurse when my first bout of spotting / bleeding began, throwing everything out the window. Had low back pain the last 2 days -at times it feels a bit like period pain, but I think it is some sort of muscle strain as it hurts in different directions - mostly if I compress my spine by arching back.

Smear tests are (for me) painful, and we all know they're embarassing - but who wants to die of embarassment?? So I'll heed your advice and book one as soon as I can be fitted in. I'm so sorry you had to go through a hysterectomy (a close friend did, years ago, for the same reasons, but her ovaries were left in and she forgot she would still get menopausal symptoms), but it's good it was caught in time.

All the best - and thanks for the heads up! x

• Posted

Hi Good luck madcow.

I had everything removed as being over 50 I wanted the worry of ovarian cancer gone as well. I thought I would get rid of the menopause but it doesn't work that way and I still have menopause symptoms all these years later without ovaries. Consolation I don't have to worry about those cancers, so it is worth it

The back ache might be that you have been sitting or bending more than normal, particularly that you have been immobile for so long. Mine is also sore at the moment as I am waiting to have operations on my feet and I can't stand or walk for too long.

A physio told me to strengthen my core tummy muscles which apparently helps with back ache.

Hope these tips help you. All the best with your smear.

• Posted

I am 56 and was without a period for 15 months until 3 days ago, out of the blue, the 2 weeks before I had painful sore boobs, ovulation symptoms I used to have, mad chocolate cravings, all symptoms of a period but pushed it out of my mind. I have been to the doc who has referred me for a scan to measure womb thickness etc and to basically have a look around (of course it sets you off worrying about all sorts of things). It's not what I would call a "real" period, just like you get when it's starting or tailing off and is mostly once I am up and moving around........ I had stopped having hot flushes,the shivering & trembling etc etc but felt very off balance for nearly a week and should have seen all this as a whole. A LOT has happened lately, my daughter moving out, obviously hub & I are more intimate so doc is wondering if my hormones are just having a last "blip" as we were like we used to be 38 years ago all of a sudden lol! Hope everyone gets answers or at least consolation knowing we're not alone.
    • Posted

Hi, I am 50 and without a period for 2 years and experiencing the same as you had. Before I call Doc wanted to see what your diagnosis was. Thanks!
  • Posted

I'm new to this pre menopausal thing too. I need answers. I'm 50 had regular periods up until this month of may. April 21st I had a 5 day period, normal. I started spotting on th 4th of may it's the 10th and I'm still spotting bright red. Went to the doctor. They did a pap smear and tested my pee for pregnancy. All negative. Doc say I may be in menopause. How long does this bleeding last? Is it ever going to stop?
    • Posted

Hiya, how have you been?

I'm a bit panic. I'M 43 stopped feeding my girl on the 20th of August Spoting in the middle since for 1 day.

Going to do blood test on Friday. Really worried I was OK because I have all symptoms of peri even Burning Mouth Syndrome 😯for almost 5 month and now I am reading that spoting can be very bad sign 😢

South stressed.

Blessings

• Posted

New to this site I am 53 and my period has gone crazy lasting 7 to 10 days spotting in between I feel fine other than frustration
  • Posted

Hi, I am 50 without a period for 2 years....wondering how you made out with diagnosis? Thanks!
  • Posted

Hi debness,

from what i understand, menopause varies up until at least 60 years of age, and spotting (like in perimenopause)

can happen even during menopause, too. it's just hard to know exactly, with all the factors involved.

hypothroid issue--i've heard it's a common thing for women in general, & i get dizzy (also when much younger) but iron helps w that. like menstruation, lots of water can help too. women's health issues seem to have that help needed in general for symptoms that crop up. 

try to be patient w yourself when it's not sure what is going on; everyone's situation is unique. (yes, that feels lonely at times & stressful.)

in my situation. i'm 56 and don't know if i'm experiencing full menopause, & am pretty sure in my late 40's it was perimenopause. no hot flashes back then, just periods eventually stopping, w spotting both light nad heavy during that time.

now i think i've had my first hot flash but stress maybe part of any symptoms now, since my work is unpredictable and my fiance died last year; my dad also died this year.

i'm mainly concerned about the spotting, and whether that's normal--just light spotting so far.

• Posted

Hi,

I THINK I'm in the peri phase.  Every month when I ovulate I have spotting until my periods starts about 15 days later...it's very, very light spotting but it still totally freaks  me out... 

I was also suffering heart palpitations but that seems to have calmed a little now... I find d it all incredibly stressful, which I'm sure makes everything worse..😞

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.