5cm cyst, in agony!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, just looking for advice really.

About a year ago I started to get bad pains in my lower left side of my tummy, went to the doctors and they simply said it was constipation. Back in October, I went back to the doctors as yes, I have severe constipation - I'm lucky if I go once a week. I bloat like crazy, to the point where it looks as if I'm 7 months pregnant. I also have a constant dull ache in my lower left tummy, and every now and then a really horrible sharp pain, so the point where I want to cry and throw up. Not sure if it is related at all, but every single time I eat, I get heartburn. I also am afraid to have sex, because the last time I did it, I cried in pain. I can't even put a tampon in without my lower left hurting.

Now, I went and had my scan done recently, and they have said I have a 5cm cyst on my left ovary. Fine, I know what the cause of the pain is, My doctor has told me to wait 4 months for another scan to see if it has shrunk or gotten worse, and I understand this is procedure, however I don't think I can put up with the pain and symptoms for another 4 months. She didn't recommend anything to help with the pain, just simply said I have a 'normal' cyst.. What is classed as normal?! I'm probably overreacting, but I am in tears because of the pain and I am simply not happy with what the doctor has said to me. Please can someone give me some advice about what to do next? Shall I wait, shall I get a 2nd opinion at a private hospital? I have had to take days off work due to the pain it causes and I can't do this so close to Christmas!

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Megan,

I'm really sorry to hear you're suffering like this I have the same problem and I have I had for a couple of months it's been horrible so I know what you mean, doctors did ask me to wait it out too and just gave me a whole load of paracetamol or codeine. I learnt that eating clean helps no processed foods or sugar keep your diet high in protein and vegetables. Camomile tea has been the best thing for the pain and fresh boiled ginger I also use a hot water bottle it hasn't been easy but these techniques have helped me through. it got really bad for me I was in hospital twice so I'm having it removed in two weeks time. keep your stress down too as it triggers. I hope this was helpful.

• Posted

I have tried hot water bottles, the hotties you put in the microwave and the pain doesn't bypass. The only tablets that help are the ibuprofen mixed with codeine and can only take them for 3 days at a time 😦 So sorry to hear that you are suffering too. I eat clean on a regular basis and also try to get to the gym, but I can't even do this anymore due to it aching during/after and also the fear of it rupturing. Could I ask how they came to the decision to remove it? And also how long you waited it out for? How come you was in hospital, did it twist or was the pain too painful? So sorry for the questions, I'm really frustrated that my doctor hasn't given me any help or advice about what to do next.

• Posted

I completely understand I had alot of questions too and very little answers so I understand why you're so frustrated. So I was in the hospital the first time due to the pain it was so bad I was also throwing up and my whole abnormal area and pelvic area was tender. the second time was worse the cyst ended up leaking into my uterus and appendix I couldn't walk at all I was in excruciating pain and ended up with an infection. I was in hospital for four days. they put me on antibiotics and they decided because its disrupting my life so much. I haven't been able to go to work or live my life as usual since it's time to remove it.

• Posted

I think it's because they are the 'experts', however WE are the experts of our own body and know when something is wrong..

Oh hun, I am so sorry you have had to go through all of that! Sounds absolutely awful. I have days off work too due to not being able to walk or drive because of the pain all down my left side, so even putting the clutch down triggers it. Sometimes I can't get out of bed because of the pain so I just lay there and cry. I feel as though the doctor hasn't listened to any of my symptoms and simply fobbed me off. What would you recommend my next step is? Shall I wait for the scan in 6 weeks? Shall I book a private doctor's appointment?

• Posted

I understand words can't really explain the pain I dont think I have ever experienced anything like this in my life. The worst thing is there is nothing you can do when it's all going on. Indeed we are the experts of our body if you feel like 6 weeks is too long to bare please seek a second opinion and help. I will let you know if surgery makes a difference once I get there. good luck and take it easy you're not alone

• Posted

Hi Megan,

I totally understand how it feels, as I had pretty much the same experience.

From ultrasound and CT scan, I had a 5.9 cm complex cyst looking like hemorrhagic cyst in my left ovary, plus some uterus fibroids.

The first gynecologist told me to monitor to see if it might shrink and prescribed me hormonal birth control pills. I was unhappy with that too because I was like, I was so much in pain and why do I have to wait and see? If it were going to shrink, it shouldn't give me this much pain in the first place, right?? I had a lot of questions in my head and was so frustrated.

I had a lot of discomfort especially at night when I climbed onto my bed or turned to the side. When I had my first period after seeing the gynecologist, the pain was almost unbearable.

My second and third gynecologist said that it is very unlikely that a hemorrhagic cyst will shrink. Both suggested a laparoscopic surgery. However, one of them said that it might not help with the pain anyway because after surgery, I will develop scar tissues inside, which will get thicker and give me pain.

As for your case, "normal" cyst, I think they mean fluid cyst that most women have. This type of cyst can shrink on its own. However, if it keeps growing and gets bigger than 5 cm, or gives you pain, doctors might suggest a laparoscopic surgery.

As for myself, I chose a surgery. Funny enough, my gynecologist who was also a surgeon said that no cyst was found!? Instead, I had a lot of endometriosis on my uterus and the doctor tried to remove them as much as possible. As for the cyst, he said, it might have ruptured at some point.

In fact, before I decided to go for a surgery, I also had acupuncture. Acupuncturist said that cyst can be treat with acupuncture by stimulating blood circulation. When I saw him again after surgery, and told him the cyst was gone, he was surprised. First, it is rare that a cyst of 5.9 cm would shrink that fast. Second, if it ruptured, it would have caused me so much pain, so he didn't think it ruptured.

Well, it is still a myth how my cyst disappeared but I heard that sometimes a cyst can rupture without the person realizing it.

After surgery, it took me much longer to heal than other people. 2 months has passed and I still feel some pain inside. Plus, my incisions are still itchy and one of them is still oozing. My doctor said I was the first patient who had reactions to the surgery. I had to be on anti-histamine to calm down itching, rashes and hives.

What I would like to say is, surgery itself has a lot of complications. Cysts can come back even if you have a surgery. If I could turn back time, maybe I might just monitor for another few months.

I hope that my story can be helpful. In the end, choices are yours. I agree with Coco on things she did to help ease the pain and stress. You might also want to find a good acupuncturist who understands Chinese medicine really well.

Most of all, try to shift your attention to something else that makes you happy. I know it might be hard when you are not well. But believe me, being stressed out doesn't help anything and only makes things worse.

And remember, you're not alone.

Take care 😃

• Posted

JK,

Did you say you had a complex cyst? I have that and was told nothing will shrink it as it is fat tissue not fluid. You got rid of it with acupuncture? I went to an acupuncturist and was told they could only treat fluid not complex or fat tissue cysts. Thanks.

• Posted

wow! i am so sorry you had to go through all of that. Your story has made me think I'm probably overreacting. Definitely put me off surgery however I am terrified of it rupturing. I have the implant in and am taking this out on Saturday as the lady that did my scan said this has caused it. I am so much pain with the cyst that I was considering speaking to another gyno like you did, would you recommend this? I have searched everywhere for the description of a 'normal' cyst but nothing is coming up anywhere hence I came here for advice as people like you know what I'm feeling, and the doctor has no clue! Sorry if this seems a bit waffly and doesn't make sense, I'm on my phone instead of my computer

• Posted

Sakura,

I saw 3 gynecologists. One said it might shrink. Another said it is very unlikely. Last one said it is very rare.

I forgot to tell my acupuncturist what cyst I had but as my cyst was gone and no one knew exactly how that happened. It might have shrunk because of acupuncture, or it could have ruptured without me noticing as well. I really can't tell though I was skeptical acupuncture might have played a part...but I could be wrong too.

Doctors usually say that hormonal birth control pills can prevent more cysts and endometriosis, including possibly make the existing cysts shrink. But there are cases where these pills don't work.

Some people removed their uterus in hope that they won't have endometriosis anymore but then they found endometriosis somewhere else inside the body. Plus, removing uterus causes a lot of side effects. One big thing is that you will go through menopause much quicker and symptom such as hot flushes at night, mood swing, dry skin, no sexual desire, etc.

Some people had children and thought they would have less risk of having cysts and endometriosis. Still, some people have these things coming back.

At this point, I really don't know anymore what actually works. It seems that each person reacts to the diseases differently. Medication and treatment all have side effects and it is always best to protect yourself against unwanted results by doing a lot of research.

One of the nurse practitioners at my gynecologist (also my surgeon)'s office suggested that I take one kind of medicine for 2 year. She said that it works well with endometriosis and I don't have to take hormonal pills and stay away from the risk of another surgery which will leave me more scar tissues. But when it comes to side effects like bone loss and suicidal depression, I was like this is crazy. I would rather live with my disease rather than having those extra troubles and complications to work with in the future.

Sorry I ramble on other stuff besides acupuncture but I simply wanted to share what I know and hope that this will be helpful for everyone.

As for acupuncture, there are some useful information on the internet. That should give you some good ideas.

I have decided to stop hormonal pills. My doctor said I had to take that until I enter menopause. That's a long way to go. These pills have side effects. Some said that it increases your chance to have breast cancer. Some said it didn't help prevent future endometriosis and chocolate cysts.

So I take a risk on acupuncture and Chinese medicine at the moment. Luckily, I have a trustworthy and good acupuncturist. He said that acupuncture alone cannot help prevent my further endometriosis but with Chinese medicine, they will work. I need to take 5 weeks of medicine together with acupuncture 2 times/week for 5 weeks. Then if in the future I have any pain or feel something is not right, then he told me to come back right away.

I don't know if this will work but it seems to have the least side effects comparing to other methods. If it works for me in this coming 5 years, I will post my story on this webboard. I'm crossing my fingers.

Let me know how things go for you.

• Posted

Megan,

I don't think you are overreacting at all. You even seem to have more pain than I did.

Your story recalled me of the story of a woman who had so much pain like you for years but still kept on not having surgery. She just kept monitoring and found that her cysts sometimes shrank, sometimes getting bigger, without rupture.

But if you can't bear with the pain any longer, then a surgery could be an option. Though, it can come with other complications, and it can't prevent future cysts.

Getting a second or third opinion should do you no harm. At the end, choices are yours to make.

• Posted

Just another thought. If you decide to get a second opinion, bring a note with your questions on so that you won't forget what you would like to ask.

Good luck! hugs

• Posted

Thanks for the info JK. It sound like you had a fluid cyst and it was big. I had one as well and it ruptured and was HELLA painful for months. They had me on percoset etc. I'm glad you don't have a complex fat cyst as well as only surgery removes that. 😦 I'm sorry you're in pain but it will get better it took me months. And sounds like acupuncture is helping you. They say birth control prevents them so that's why they prob suggested that. My cyst burst after I went off regular BC (combo)and took a progesterone only pill which I think messed me up. But I did it because of perimenopause.

• Posted

I think mine was a blood sag though. One of the gyno said it was a chocolate cyst. My gyno/surgeon said no one can tell until surgery.

Oh my, I'm so sorry your cyst burst and you were so much in pain. I hope you are much better now. Did they only give you pain killers but not anti-biotics for possible infection and no surgery?

• Posted

Just painkillers and said nothing to do for burst fluid cyst. But recommended surgery for fat/complex cyst which I'm dreading.

• Posted

hi megan when I asked the doctor what a normal cyst meant he did say when they say Normal it means it doesn't have any cancerous cells

• Posted

Thank you! So although it is not cancerous, it could mean it might not go away on it's own like JK's?

• Posted

well that's why they ask us to wait it out it's suppose to go away on it's own. A few women mentioned acupuncture helped reduce it in size, it all depends on you and how it's affecting you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.