5cm cyst, in agony!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, just looking for advice really.

About a year ago I started to get bad pains in my lower left side of my tummy, went to the doctors and they simply said it was constipation. Back in October, I went back to the doctors as yes, I have severe constipation - I'm lucky if I go once a week. I bloat like crazy, to the point where it looks as if I'm 7 months pregnant. I also have a constant dull ache in my lower left tummy, and every now and then a really horrible sharp pain, so the point where I want to cry and throw up. Not sure if it is related at all, but every single time I eat, I get heartburn. I also am afraid to have sex, because the last time I did it, I cried in pain. I can't even put a tampon in without my lower left hurting.

Now, I went and had my scan done recently, and they have said I have a 5cm cyst on my left ovary. Fine, I know what the cause of the pain is, My doctor has told me to wait 4 months for another scan to see if it has shrunk or gotten worse, and I understand this is procedure, however I don't think I can put up with the pain and symptoms for another 4 months. She didn't recommend anything to help with the pain, just simply said I have a 'normal' cyst.. What is classed as normal?! I'm probably overreacting, but I am in tears because of the pain and I am simply not happy with what the doctor has said to me. Please can someone give me some advice about what to do next? Shall I wait, shall I get a 2nd opinion at a private hospital? I have had to take days off work due to the pain it causes and I can't do this so close to Christmas!

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Dearest Megan - my heart breaks reading of your painful situation. I have known it all my life! I recently posted questions regarding my own problems with cysts! At 65yrs of age and having had radical hysterectomy nearly 35 yrs ago, one would have thought this scenario long past? Not so. Ovarian tissue was "left behind" or some such speculative explanation, and cysts have made themselves at home once again!

From my own experience, I urge you to wait it out a bit longer. Surgery does indeed leave its own problematic tracks behind to bedevil you! In addition to the perils inherent in all invasive surgery, removal of small ovarian cysts causes scar tissue to form , and or adhesions, which can be more painful and problematic than your present cysts have been. Your cysts may very well resolve on their own! ...not to say that they will not return! again...and again...and again.

The symptoms you have enumerated are common. Believe it or not, it is true...many, if not all, women suffer reoccurring cysts of varying sizes and duration. Some are fortunate in that the pain is bearable and passes much like a bad period, other women are less fortunate. Trust me when I caution you to be very judicious in your approach to treatment! Removal doesn't guarantee the end of your suffering. (I endured multiple surgeries prior to hysterectomy). Agonizing pain has become a way of life for me - with no answers forthcoming. Physicians refuse to go in again for fear of causing more harm and even greater pain.

DO YOUR RESEARCH! Be as proactive in your healthcare as possible. EDUCATE YOURSELF! KEEP DETAILED RECORDS! I have a binder wherein I maintain copies of every scan,test, procedure, blood work, etc... I have prevented serious medical mistakes from occurring thanks to my proactive approach ! If you are indeed one of us - women who suffer reoccurring painful cysts, you will need to prepare yourself for the future. The endless merry-go-round which is our health care system can be a nightmare for women.

Good luck, best wishes and try adding MASSAGE THERAPY to your relief repertoire . Do your research. Try every single non-invasive technique you come across - hopefully, you will find a combination which will work for you.

Be careful of NSAIDs, I have now developed a hyper-sensitivity to them and as with Codeine, I break out in hives, get terrible Migraine headaches, have difficulty breathing, and experience an increase in abdominal pain/constipation when I take them. - As with so many issues, NO ONE even hinted that all these symptoms were a side effect of NSAIDs and for years I saw Dermatologists, ENT's for respiratory issues, Gastroenterologists and each prescribed additional medications! ...ALL ended once I discontinued the NSAIDs!

Wishing you all the best,...I hope my story has helped somewhat? My wish is merely to enlighten you and to warn you - every pill and procedure carries a consequence .

xo

• Posted

Megan, if you haven't been prescribed something for your constipation, I highly recommend you consult your physician or local pharmacist asap! Constipation is incredibly painful! Once a week isn't acceptable and can cause additional medical issues like diverticulosis ( precursor to diverticulitis ).

I'm not a physician, but I do suffer your same symptoms and know what an issue bloating and constipation can be. Please, please do your research! Get going and get help!

Namaste'

• Posted

hi megan, i had a 11cm cyst removed from my ovary 5 weeks ago i had to have a laparotomy as it was too big to have keyhole anything over 5cm they have to remove. i noticed being on the depo injection got rid of the pain but it just masked the problem hence why mine got so big. keep pushing GP etc to get this removed

• Posted

hi Jade57341 how have you felt after the operation did you feel the difference? I'm having one tomorrow so I'm super nervous

• Posted

Hi. I had my surgery 10 days ago. I hate medicine(percocet) but it was the only thing that got me up and walking around. You need to be mobile at some point during the day so you get everything moving, but don't push it. Also take dulcolax or another medicine to get your bowels moving. I'm still in pain, but everyday is better.

• Posted

hi jade,

how are you feeling 5weeks out? Just curious. I am only 10 days out.

thanks in advance.

• Posted

awful had an infection 6 weeks and im still not right and doctors are not listening to me either. hope all gets better for you soon

• Posted

thank you, i got re admitted last night into hospital having a CT scan today to see where the infection is im hoping i can be sorted after this

• Posted

Hi Megan.

I saw your post last week. I told my husband that you had exactly the same symptoms as I did and for the same amount of time!

To start, I am 47 years old. I have been through the ringer with doctor appts, 4 emergency room visits, blood work, & ultrasounds. I even went to Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville. Every doctor wanted to give me pain killers to mask the pain. They said it was a gastro issues. No one would listen to me! My quality of life was horrible. My cyst was 4 centimeters. Long story short, I ran into a woman, a nurse, at the hair salon. She had uterine cancer. She called her friend who is a Gyn. doctor and got me in to see him immediately (so thankful as I recently moved to the area). After researching, I found out that he was highly regarded in town, a definite plus. During the exam I cried, it was so painful. Ten days ago, I had my cyst and ovary removed. I don't have the pain anymore, but I am recovering from surgical pain. It has not been easy, but I was in pain everyday, not functioning, my quality of life was terrible, and I know this pain will pass.

So, I would suggest that you find another doctor with a good reputation and get another opinion. Had I not ran into that woman, I would still be getting more tests (Mayo scheduled an MRI on the 19th), and still dealing with the horrible pain. Listen to your body. You need a dr. to listen to you. Not all cysts resolve, or disintegrate by their selves. I was happy to have the cyst removed and know that it was non-cancerous. No regrets here. Best of luck to you and I would be happy to talk to you anytime.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.