5HtP to help citalopram withdrawal.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Came off citalopram just over week ago wondering whether to take this. Very wary as says it affects the serotonin has similar effect to SSRI 's which made anxiety and everything whole lot worse than before I took them. Has anyone else used it, as I had bad exoerience with citalopram wondering if best to avoid it in my case?

0 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

hi lemanna, hope your doing ok!

just to let you know its been over a week now since my last dose of citalopram and im feeling wo much better and back to myself will keep you updated 😀

• Posted

HI HI emily glad you are doing well the fact you are on another drug would imagine is helping any withdrawal symptoms least you are off the citalopram major step. Just started NAC as recommended by Charlie. Sleep been bit better last couple nights. Even though these drugs help lot people having looked at other forums can cause serious side effects in some people . The mental symptoms from zopiclone were bad enough but these have been lot worse, pity GP's dont warn you.

• Posted

my mental health phsyciatric nurse said if i was going to experience withdrawals bad from citalopram, the drugs im on wouldnt have stopped or reduced them in any way, except my propranalol woukd have helped eith palpitations and fast heart beat and shaking but thats it, the other mental/physical affects would have still happened, i have just been lucky, now at the moment im feeling so much more myself and confident, ive actually spoke to my boss about returning to work, ive been off citalopram completely for 2 weeks on monday! hopefully you will start to feel good too soon xx

• Posted

i think though, eventually i will get counselling about the experience ive had, i think you shoukd too, as it is traumatic xx

• Posted

I'm just very sceptical of what some so called professionals say. Says the other drug the q one is an anti psychotic, so logically it would calm down any anxiety you had from stopping the citalopram, thus lessens any mental symptoms. Idid have coup,e sessions with a psycholtherapist but was stopped due to corona might start again. It was privately, find any mental health provision in NHS pretty abysmal. The CBT therapist was useless.. They seem unwilling accept any of these drugs give withdrawal problems. What lot few months ago saying major problem with peopke being legt on anti depressants for years. Hope when you come off the other drug withdrawal is as stress free antwayx

• Posted

not at all, becuase the quetiapine boosts the effect of an antidepressant, and they are very short acting, i take a small dose at night, not enough to have much of an effect, i was only given it for a "mild sedative" effect to help me sleep, its immediate release, not like citalopram where it stays in your system for ages and ages x

• Posted

Hope you are right and don't have any problems in the future when you come off the other meds.. Just seems strange you came off them very quickly with no problems when majority of people doing that have real problems. As I say don't have lot faith in what the medical profession says would thought any sedative would help but really pleased for you anyway that things improving. and hope they continue. Not sure about the supplement as felt pretty awful today so might stay off it see what happens.

• Posted

its not actually a sedative as such, it just has sedating effects, so its not a sedative as in like how benzos are sedatives, it was just described that way to me as it can make you drowsy, and calms agression etc in phsycotic and agressive agitated etc, they don't stop anxiety so not sure why they were ever given to me but i was in such despair i wouldve taken anything to change that, unfortunately it actually boosts the effect of antidepressant and seretonin, but becuase the seretonin was causing me problems in the first place, the drug has only been exaggerating that even more, so it has actually contributed to half of the problem, citalopram being the other half of it of course, im praying this all hasnt been coincidence and that im not going to go downhill again, but i havent even been anxious or even been thinking about going downhill again, its like my brain just isnt thinking about it ay all now, which says to me that ill now be fine ive got everything crossed, im excited to go back to work ajd go bacj to normal life, well, atleast half normal working from home as my office isnt opening up to staff until october at the earliest, and theyve said even thats not certain due to possibility of a second corona wave, where in the UK are you if yiu don't mind me asking? and if im honest with you i wouldn't take anh supplements except vitamins, do not take anything involved in anything to do with the brain, i know its hard, but you don't want to mask anything with something else, otherwise youll never know properly whether your truly getting better, please keep in touch with me, and ill be sure to do the same

• Posted

Don't think I'll post anymore life as I knew it has gone forever, the damage theses drugs have done seems irrepairable. Just resigned to the fact this twilight existance is it, throwing more drugs at it seems just make things worse. Pleased you at least have recovered anyway x

• Posted

i havent recovered yet, i am having anxious thoughts again today, so not completely recovered, i think ill always have them after whats happened to me, your just having a bad day as am i xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.