5th Base Metatarsal Fracture

Posted , 7 users are following.

Please can somebody provide me with advise. After slipping on a pavement in spain I fractured my 5th metatarsal base. Minimally displaced. Im six weeks in from tomorrow and still cannot walk in my boot. After applying pressure to foot for a couple of steps my foot feels weird as if its going to break / pop however the pain isnt as day one. This feeling lasts for about 10 mins after resting it. Im too scared to bare weight without my boot as i cannot stand to be in that pain again. Im concerned that its not healing. I also have a lump on my fracture and redness but its not swollen its been like that since day one. Iv pictures to send . Your advise is much appreciated. Thanks

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Welcome to the world of this particular break. I had a non displaced fracture. Was non weight bearing almost 5 weeks but only healed 60%. Had a screw put in 3 weeks ago. One more week then I can put pressure in boot. This fracture is tough to heal because of low blood supply. I am 67 and a horse rider so needed the extra security for fusion. They tend to recur if not pinned. If you have youth on your side you may heal faster!! Good luck
    • Posted

Sorry to hear about your break. I hope you get better soon. Im 33 so hoping it heals. Im doing everything i can.
    • Posted

Oh yes, youth on your side!! All will heal just fine!!👍🏻

• Posted

Hopefully you will be walking soon. Please keep me updated on your progress.
    • Posted

I saw your replay to megan and I was wondering I posted a reply to her I dont want to rehash my whole post.  One main thing I am wonderignever since I broke it June 4th even after surgery and sleeping all day.  I will walk up only a few stairs or a few feet and every muscle in my body hurts from my toes to my head and I feel like if I dont sit or lay down I am going to fall.  I am so weak everywhere not just on my broken foot.   As you knwo I am sure they only give you pain meds for so long and now after starting pt 4 days ago I had a really bad day yesterday where the painwas so bad I was screaming .  I amjust wondering if you had any weakness or were out of breath at all when you tried to do things and when you started pt did the pain come back bad??  thanks..I guess I am like meghan just looking to see if what is happening to me is normal..This is a very scary thing
    • Posted

Man do I feel for you!! My Jones fracture (5th) was a non displaced stress fracture so I tried to heal by being non weight. bearing for 4 weeks. It healed 60% but because of my life style of horses, dogs, etc my ortho and I decided to put a pin in which I had done 4 weeks ago. I really had no pain but did not have the extensive surgery you had. I go back to my doctor Wed in hopes I can weight bear. As a rider and runner and 67, I was in good shape. Now my leg is quite atrophyed? I have continued to do exercises for other ligaments and core. I too, have large dogs but do have a husband who has been amazing running our farm. I will have to let you know how I do bearing weight. i have had ACL and a total shoulder surgery but this fracture has been much more difficult. Feet are a bear!! Wow!!! I am so sorry!!!keep us informed!
    • Posted

I forgot to add that my ortho doc had a rep bring me a bone stimulator. They definitely increase the blood supply to the area. Medicare would not approve one so she (doc) had a rep bring me one anyway. He drove out to my country house. We use them on the horses and have great success. Maybe ask your doctor about that. Take care!!
    • Posted

Hi Cherylann

Sorry tp hear about your injury. Yes i feel tired and have a aching pains in my leg. Are you taking any medication? If so could it be the side effects.

• Posted

Redness would concern me as it could indicate infection. Go see your doctor right away!
    • Posted

I agree. Infections are scary these days. Had a friend lose the tip of her finger due to a hangnailnthat got infected. Times have changed because of resistant bacteria.
    • Posted

Its not dark red its mild just over the fracture. The doctors assessed it last week and didnt mention anything

• Posted

Has your Dr.told you to walk I like you fell on pavement and broke mine I was put in airboot on first day I was 10 weeks non weight bearing .Then allowed to put little weight while walking with 2 cruches then walking with one cruche then walk with 2 cruches and no boot then 1 ctuch and now no cruches. I fell on 17th April at minute I go to phisio once a week ankle got a little stiff so trying to loosing ankle 5 metatarsal is hard to heal so don't rush it everyone is different.

Good luck

Catherine

• Posted

The fact that it's dislaced means that you have to really take care of it. Do what your doctor tells you. Every break is different, so everybody's expereince is different. I have a non-displaced fracture at the tuberosity from 3.5 weeks ago. I spend 3 weeks in an air boot and and now am walking in normal shoes (hiking boots or sneakers). It is still slightly swollen where the break is so my walking is uneven. I am a 40 something, typically very active woman. I'm going to start phys therapy in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile, I'm doing the exercise bike and swimming (doctor approved).

I had a much worse break 8 months ago: I had a spriral displaced fracture at the neck of the same 5th metatarsal. I had surgery immediately with a plate and screws, spent 6 weeks NWB, and 2 months with very little walking after that. I had finally gotten almsot back to normal when this new break happened. My advice is take it slow so that it heals well and get to phys therapy as soon as your doctor says its okay. 

• Posted

Hi Patty

Sorry to hear about your break. Thank you for your advise. I wish you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.