5th Base Metatarsal Fracture

Posted , 7 users are following.

Please can somebody provide me with advise. After slipping on a pavement in spain I fractured my 5th metatarsal base. Minimally displaced. Im six weeks in from tomorrow and still cannot walk in my boot. After applying pressure to foot for a couple of steps my foot feels weird as if its going to break / pop however the pain isnt as day one. This feeling lasts for about 10 mins after resting it. Im too scared to bare weight without my boot as i cannot stand to be in that pain again. Im concerned that its not healing. I also have a lump on my fracture and redness but its not swollen its been like that since day one. Iv pictures to send . Your advise is much appreciated. Thanks

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am not sure how much I can help you but I had the same fracture on June 4th. I am 45 fell down some stairs and fractured my 5th left metatarsil.  Did you have surgery?  My fracture was so bad and displaced and in pieces I had to have surgery surgery and a plate and 5 screws into my bone.   I have a 2 and a half inch scar on my foot.  I was supposed to be no weight bearing for 6-8 weeks however I live alone and did not have anyone to take care of me and I have two 90 pound chocolate labs.   There is alot more to say abotu how horrible this has been dor me but I am not sure that will help you.    I havent been able to work since June 4th.  I just started physical therapy 4 days ago.  I just wanted to give you the background.  Ever since I broke my foot and even now it does feel weird.   I havemoments of excruciating pain where I scream and cry.  Also like you my foot feels weird I think that that weirdfeeling is normal its hard to describe to people but I know what you mean.  That feeling of popping and weight bearning I think is normalI was afraid as well and now over 2 months after surgery I still am wearing the boot and sometimes I am afraid to put weight on it.   I understand that pain believe me.  My first question would be did you have surgery?  I have a lump but it is my scar from surgery it is almost 3 inches long and I have to massage it so the scar tissue does not develop and that hurts also.  Please let me know about the surgery and please know I completely understand I also have alot of other side effects as well. It would be nice to know if you do also.  Like extreme fatigue when you walk like a few feet where your muscles everywhere hurt so bad you have to sit or lay down or you feel like you will faint?  Have you been back to see the doctor?
    • Posted

Hi Cheryl

Im so sorry to hear about ur fracture. My ortho said i had a 5th metatarsal base fracture. She said that the bones where not to far apart so didnt suggest surgery. Im six weeks in and still have that feeling of snapping. Yes i also get tired and have aching pains in my left leg. I stilt cannot weightbare as yet. I just wondering if i should weightbare or wait until my xray next week.

• Posted

I would not bear weight until there is a good fusion and no swelling. After my issue, I do think this particular fracture heals best with a pin. My ortho says that as well but some are scared of surgery. I literally wasted almost 5 weeks before surgery. Healing was fast and painless after. She did a 30 hour block so by the time it wore off was literally pain free. My friend who also rides, let hers heal without but as soon as she got back in the saddle and pushed her foot down in the stirrup the fracture recurred. Sometimes insurance companies want you to wait as well. They wanted me to wait 90 days brfore they would pay for a bone stimulator. They are evilsad so happy doctor had a rep bring me one. I wish you good healing.

• Posted

Ouch poor you. Yes i need to be careful as it can refracture. Im panicing as im due back to work next week. I work in retail and require standing most of the day.
    • Posted

I am 48 and have a Jones fracture and the same scar as you described.  I had 2 screws put in too.  I am supposed to be off work 6-8 weeks and can try weight bearing the second week of October with no driving until then because it is my right foot.  I was feeling guilty about being home today (I am 2 weeks out), but your post made me feel better because it sounds like other doctors expect you to rest too.  Mine feels like tingling and then here and there a huge pain too.  I am exhausted too!  I have a job where I need to have a lot of energy, so I can't imagine being at work right now.  What is weird is that my doctor was emphatic 6-8 weeks off work and now is saying whenever you want, but no weight bearing.  That is what has made me confused...

• Posted

I had a scooter for the house, can you get one for work. Bought mine for $100 on Craigs list in US.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.