5th Metatarsal Fracture Recovery

Posted , 152 users are following.

Hello. I have a number of questions.

8 weeks ago I broke my 5th metatarsal after falling. I just got out of my cast yesterday and was out in an air cast/boot. And the doctor left me with a number of questions unanswered and my next appointment isn't for 4 weeks with no physio or such before hand.

1. Today I have been able to start walking, worst I have been is using one crutch, mostly able to walk with no crutches, is this ok after only a day? I don't want to go on doing myself damage. The doctor told me that for my next appointment there is a chance that if I feel able I could come in my own normal footwear, but he never said anything for until then.

2. When showering, afterwards, am I able to weight bear for a step or two without the boot on to sit down again to dress etc. I'm unsure on this

3. What exercises are good to strengthen my calf muscles and also to gain back full range of motion in my ankle, I know one or two from sports injuries, but i haven't been told anything of this nature for this specific injury.

Any help would be very highly appreciated, as I just don't want to damage my foot further and either permenently injure myself or hinder the healing process

As aside information, I'm 19, a little overweight but in relatively good shape.

9 likes, 626 replies

626 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It surprises me just how many variations of the fracture of this bone and resulting treatments there are. I'm seven weeks post fracture of base of 5th metatarsal and ankle/fibula (lateral malleolus), metatarsal needed ORIF. I'm in a tall cast, non weight bearing with a week to go to next check up, with what happens next dependent on results of x-ray. So fed up.
  • Posted

Hi! I btoke my 5th metatarsal about 6 weeks ago. I thought my foot was sprained, and walked with the injury for 3 weeks before I went to the doctor and had an x-ray taken. However, the fracture is small. I am now 3 and a half week into my 5 weeks of wearing a cast on my leg. No pressure on the foot and chrutches at all times. I'm a very active person who works out five times a week, mostly weightlifing, running and classes, so this has been very depressing for me, as I'm not allowed or able to drive a car and have to do all my workouts at home. Also, I can't do nearly as much as I ususally do when working out (or everyday things such as going to the store alone or working) Normally being so active, I of course want to get back to normal as fast as possible. I realize that it's going to take some time. I have no pain in the foot, so I'm assuming that the fracture is healing. I probably have to use chrutches a couple of days after taking the cast off. I have already seen my thigh loosing a lot of muscle, and ofcourse the rest of the leg and foot have lost muscle too. Is there anyone who has any tips for me to get back to normal quickly?  I'm 21 smile
    • Posted

The harder you rest, the quicker you recover! dont rush it, as itll only get worse, or slow the recovery down. after 6-8 weeks, if you have the all clear from the doc, then maybe seek advise from a physiotherapist about regaining leg strength. however, in my exp, i got it all back by just walking normally again, taking it easy and just adjusting to a noraml ruitine. you'll get there in no time!

happy healing!

• Posted

Thank you so much for good advice! I will just have to be patient then. After all, i want to get well and not make it worse!

Thank you 😊

• Posted

Just sharing my experience. Male, mid-forties, broke my fifth metatarsal (non-displaced) 24 days ago. Slipped sideways off a step, and thought it was a badly sprained ankle until i had it diagnosed 2 days later, after walking around on it. Luckily no further damage caused and i was given a knee length moonboot and crutches. However, consultant said i could wear my own shoes if i felt more comfortable, so i do, most of the time. As mentioned in other comments, consultant also said not to rest completely and to weight-bear when possible. This is good because i am a keen runner and can also exercise upper body to ward off some of the annoyance and frustration. Lucky to have a desk job so foot rests for most of the day. I've avoided pain killers and anti inflammatories because i haven't felt i needed them (taking calcium supplements tho), However, the key message i think is "these injuries do take time to heal properly!" I moved around (on crutches) perhaps more than i should over Easter, thinking my foot was gradually improving but it's been quite sore the last couple of days, so i've been icing the area in the evenings with my foot up. Not as sore now and i'm back to walking around the house and office, slowly but unaided with a limp, but trying not to over compensate. Any opinions if this is the right or wrong thing to be doing? At this rate of recovery I reckon it will be another 3 weeks before i'm walking around and WB more like normal. Potentially another 2-3 weeks after that before i can run again (8-9 weeks in total)?? Best wishes everyone. 
    • Posted

Hi chris9999, every injury and every patient is so different that every treatment plan has to be completely different. you're very lucky that your doctor has been easy going and let you kinda go about things how you feel comfortable. you also appear to be healing pretty quick! you said it was non displaced, so i imagine that will always heal far quicker than displaced, and if you are as fit and active as you say, then i imagine youll be right in no time. 

I was interested to read about the numbers of pro-footballers who had this same injury, and what their time off was like. most of them were predicted to be back in the game after 6-8 weeks, but in reality, it was more like 8-10 for a lot. and these guys will have the best physio on the planet!!

Just take it easy, my friend. no need to rush back to everything. you may end up causing more damage down the line which will result in an operation if youre unlucky. most docs advise that you try WB to encourage healing, but in my experience, and from others also, it is a good idea to give it a good solid 6-8 weeks before you start WBing. the bone needs time to re-attach, and this just wont happen if there is too much movement. 

Still, like i say, everyone is different. if you are getting on fine, and the docs are happy then thats awesome.

Happy healing, mate.

• Posted

Thanks christopherlrg, much appreciated. I am definitely making a real effort to slow myself down and rest. I agree that, 4 and a bit weeks in, even another potential 6 weeks or more isn't that much in the grand scheme of things. I'll wait until my next docs appointment in 2 weeks then think about building up my walking (gradually), which i really enjoy, before even considering my return to running.

A pro footballer's starting fitness, physio (and salary) would be nice but I'll do my best wink

Cheers and best wishes.

• Posted

Thanks for comments and for other related threads here - they've all been really helpful and supportive. Quick update on my 5th metatarsal (base), undisplaced avulsion fracture. 43 days after my injury the X-ray at the fracture clinic showed expected healing today. Consultant poked around my foot and was satisfied that she couldn't cause any distress! However, she advised another 4 weeks before attempting to start jogging again and even then, to start building up slowly and gradually. In fact I mustn't think about running until i can comfortably walk for two hours although i must expect foot to ache in the next few weeks. If it does, I should ease up and rest. Cold weather might also make it sore/ache apparently. I also don't require moonboot or crutches any longer. I'm very happy with the progress and outcome so far. Still a way to go, but i hope this information helps others. Thanks again. 
    • Posted

Hello Chriss999 hows that foot now?, may I ask did you ever have a follow up x ray? I read your account and mine is is every way has been the same. 40's. rolled the ankle on holiday bam (!) moon boot - hopless things, ended up wearing trainers after 2 -3 weeks. its now week 4, 90% less pain and discomfort  had no pain for 3 weeks but couldnt weight bear in the first 2-3 weeks. hobbling on half the foot now need to goto work....Had an X ray. I felt all is ok ,not sign of it healed (although not always eveident on an X ray)...anyway I'll ignore that and carry on! Goodluck hope it all worked out. I just saw your post and couldnt resisit commenting as the details are almost identical to mine.
  • Posted

hi all! I had my 5th metastarsal fracture (not displaced thus casted only), on oct 28,2014 and now April 10, i can  finally walk without a limp1 It was only on january7 that i was allowed by the ortho to put my full weight on my injured foot. I had to walk with a limp. End of February xray showed, it was okay to walk normally. First week of March was the only time I would walk iin public places and building. He explained to me that my limp (up to March, this had some little pain ) was because my  leg muscle had to get back to normal size after being non-weightbearing for quite a time. The only remnant of my experieince is going down the stairs, as my leg gets used to stretching normal length with the downward steps.  lesson learned, is patience and expect the best from the body's natural healing.mechanisms.  we are fearfully and wonderfully made.
    • Posted

o i forgot to say: the ortho said walker was easier than crutches (i'm not atheletic person). so i used walker till mid January and graduated to a quad cane which i used till February. Body healing showed in that I found myself forgetting to get the cane, so i knew then i could stop using it. Tho i walked with a limp and sometimes had to hold on to my companion for balance, it was comforting to learn from the ortho that it was a muscle adjustment thing, and no longer a problem with the fifth metastarsal. .
    • Posted

Hi Ruth, glad all is good with you. I have a quite badly displaces 5th metatarsal. I was given a boot and no crutches or walker. This was six weeks ago. Two days ago the doctor said, with no new x-ray, start walking g without your boot on, Change to a comfy shoe. After only six weeks! At night my whole foot is terribly swollen and I still have some pain in it. He said come back in four weeks but if you think you don't need to just cancel the appointment. I was kind of shocked.
    • Posted

o my, Catherine. I learned that the injured foot really gets swollen till it is healed.As i understood the ortho and my readings, its like the pool of blood there is part of the healing  Tho at the same time the ortho and PT instruction is to keep the foot elevated. When i worked on laptop, i would elevate my leg to butt level.  And i would put a pillow under my leg when sleeping at night so the foot is elevated..  That will take away the swelling.   Is the term "badly displaced 5th metastarsal"  the ortho's term? Doesn't that need more than a cast? I dont know.  I think the boot is the same as a cast; i opted for cast coz the boot was so expensive here. On the fifth week after my fracture, I was x-rayed and it showed "minimal callus",  so starting that, they replaced my hard cast, with a bandage only (removed the hard part only ). and was allowed to use one-fourth of my injured foot (like tiptoeing) which I did until 9th week , and then one-half of my foot after that, till i was told to start putting full weight gradually starting Jan7.  Before Jan7, the ER residient doctors and PT were so vehement againt me putting weight on the heel part of my foot, and would handle my foot very gingerly..  Thats why i was so careful and would ask the ortho if i needed xray, and he  accommodatee my request.  So  my were Oct 28 (day of my fall), Dec5 ("minimal callus"), Jan 5 ("minimal callus" still, fracture still seen) , and Feb 27. With the Feb27 xray , the ortho said i could go use my foot already, tho the muscle strength of my leg had still to recuperate too. 

Its different strokes for different folks. my friend who walks for regular exercise, had a 5i5th metastarsal fracture too, and she  did not get the advise so she walked her footdespite  the pain and swelling, and it healed fine, and she still walks for exercise!

, i had im not athletic and in fact i am ostopeonic so i am thankful that my fracture healed despite!  

We are fearfuly and wonderfully made!

• Posted

btw, that friend of mine used crutches in her early weeks. and she was just on cast like me.  maybe the boot make the difference. because when the ortho suggested the boot, he said i could walk normally with it. easier for me than the cast he said. i dont know that for myself from experience though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.