6 mo. - 1 yr how far can you bend?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All, My second post and I'm stressing. I've been doing flooring for 30 years (Since a freshman in high school) It's all I know and I love it still mainly because of the thrill I get out of seeing all your faces after I come and put in your new hardwood floor or custom carpet. Nevertheless, It's all I know. My doctor says "you'll never go back to kneeling".

My question is focused to the post-op patients who have been able to bend further than 90 degrees. In all actuality I rarely bend further than that and would like to know what kind of feedback I would get if I asked this community - You really can't ever bring your knee to your chest again?

I'm 6' 4" 190lbs not an ounce of fat on my body and have always healed incredibly fast - I was out of my shoulder sling before my first check up after shoulder surgery for a destroyed laberum. I deep sea fish, metal detect, ride quads with my kids (6 & 10) and a certified skydiver. Does this all go away including my career?

I admire all of you for your courage and wisdom but please no "on the fence" responses - I'm looking for sucess stories for bending to see if anyone can.

Thank you and my best to you all,

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Randy, you may very well be able to go back to your flooring job. You won't know until you heal as best as you can and try.

I was 67 when I had my THR, and I was able to bend down and touch the ground without bending my knees about 3 months post-op. I cannot kneel though, NOT because of my THR, but because my knees have bad cartilage in them, and they are iffy and have been that way for years. I have heard of people with THR's who can kneel, and play tennis, and ski and do all sorts of things.

Everyone is different, with different strengths and disabilities. I am hoping for the best for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.