6 months post op and still struggling

Posted , 39 users are following.

I had my surgery in October with 2 screws/wires inserted. Prior to my op I was fairly fit, being an active gym member, running and playing netball. 6 months later I can do very little apart from using an exercise bike. Although I can deal with that in the long term, I just want to be able to walk properly. I am still in my trainers and limping. I am at my wits end as I am told the bones have healed and the pain underfoot is tissue related. When I try to walk in a natural motion, the pain shoots through my foot on lifting the toe. Does anyone else have this problem? I would like to think there is light at the end of the tunnel but at the moment everything seems to have stalled.

4 likes, 88 replies

88 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Jacqueline,  My situations sounds identical to yours.  Hoping you can take a moment to list how you addressed your issues (what actions you untertook) to help resolve your situation.  I too had an active lifestyle and am now 8 months post op and experiencing the same pain you outlined in your original post.  Its difficult to follow all the conversation threads so I hope you can send me a reply and let me now what you did, how long it took and if your situation did finally resolve.  Many thanks!
  • Posted

Hi how are you feeling now? I just read this post and saw it was from a year ago and I was wondering how you are. I'm 7 weeks post op big toe fusion and bunionectomy ...I have a pulling feeling in the toe randomly when I stand or walk and I hate the way it feels. Not sure it it's tendons or ligaments trying to heal anyway looking foward to see if you improved at all?

• Posted

Hi Krissy, sorry for the delay in responding. I haven't been on the site for a while now, having had surgery on my right foot in October. How are you feeling now? The pulling in the toe is normal following this surgery and should subside in time once the foot and muscles return to normal. It's a nasty surgery and just takes time. Everyone's recovery is different and it's hard to put a timescale on recovery. It's best to be patient and let the foot heal in it's own time, although you may consider physio as this was paramount in my recovery. It took over a year for my joint to move which is why I encountered so many problems and medical obstacles. I didnt have a toe fusion so cant comment on recovery for this but surgery on the foot, in general is difficult. I was off work for nearly a year in total and was passed from pillar to post with no clue as to why my foot was not recovering. I did a great deal of research post op and became very familiar with the physiology of the foot. Keep positive and dont be afraid to ask for help. Please keep me posted

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline! I hope you're feeling good! I too am sorry for the delay I'm just seeing your message now!! I am over 5 months now post op and my god what a long recovery. My toe pulls still but not as often and when it happens it really upsets me. I actually watch it pull just alittle over to the right ( it's the right foot that was operated on) I still have swelling and some days I walk really good some days I do not. My muscles in my calf hasn't come back yet and I grip ALOT with the 3 toes that were not operated on...those toes sometimes are more sore. I think the gripping is automatic and I'm trying very hard not to grip and to use my first 2 toes that were operated on. Did you ever just get tired or evrn talking about it all? Ugh anyway thanks so much for getting back I hope you're feeling good and anytime you want to write give a shout out. Loved hearing ftom you!!

• Posted

Hi Krissy, great to hear from you. Yes, I got really tired from talking about the whole experience and felt like a broken record. You do get to know an awful lot about the foot following this procedure. Recovery is relative and too many people underestimate the complexity of this surgery. I learned the hard way from the first surgery and did not expect too much too soon from my second surgery (3 months ago). I still get swelling and pulling in the left foot (3 years post op) but I can live with that. The most important thing is I can walk, run and keep fit like before. The calf muscles takes a long time to rebuild as it's one of the biggest muscles that deteriorates quickly following this procedure. I still work on my calf muscle at the gym which has helped a great deal. I wish you well.

• Posted

Thanks Jacq! Appreciate your experience and advice glad you're doing well....question what is the best excercise to build my calf muscle? Without affecting my toes as they're still sore and healing. My daughter said lunges I tried a couple this morning and was able to. Do you know of them or anything you can recommend? Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Krissy, I use the calf press at the gym. Start off light and increase weight when you feel comfortable. The exercise bike is also good for building strength and is low impact on your toes. My physio also advised to go swimming, good exercise and low impact on the foot.
  • Posted

It has helped to read these comments as I sit here 3 month and 3 weeks (15 weeks) post-op. I had my bunion and metarsal done, plus somehow ended up with 3 screws in my foot. One very long one! But I too feel like Jacqueline, so down about this painful recovery, rethinking whether I should have had this done and struggling to find a way to stay on track with exercise and strengthening my foot. I'm walking around with a severe limp. Compounded by the 10lbs I've put on since the surgery, things have been downhill....once i was out of the pressure boot, my knee became the raging center of pain. Seems all that sitting around for 2 months straight caused arthritis to creep in. It's incredibly painful to spend any amount of time on my feet. My knee swells, my ankle swells, my foot IS still swollen. It's so depressing! Plus when at 2 months post-op, out of the cast finally and doing limited driving around town, a new-teen driver darted out in front of me causing me to slam on the brakes causing INCREDIBLE pain and swelling. Now I'm not sure what's what and what pain is related to the accident and what pain is related to the surgery.

I want to start physical therapy, which everyone seems to say helps. I'm hoping it's not too late to start! My toe is soooo stiff and I can't stand on my tip-toes or anything yet. So scary to see how stiff and swollen it can still get, I have to hope that this will get better. I'm sure it's just a matter of time like all have said. And like someone mentioned, it sure makes you appreciate walking and running.

• Posted

Hi Loopster, I just came across this and wanted to to say if you are debating doing physical therapy, do it!! I had bunionectomy and midfoot joint fusion done, I had a plate, 6 screws and a staple put it in foot. If I hadn't gone to physical therapy I think I would still be at where you're at. I regret cutting my therapy short when I had to move back to college, but what I did get done helped out a lot. I have still struggled up until my 1 year mark I was having so much pain still. My swelling never did fully go down, but with the right management, comfortable shoes and eventually getting custom orthotics made the pain is finally manageable. I'm a year and a half out from surgery and still have pain when I first start to walk after resting a long time. However; from the sounds of your pain and situation it does get better. My toe was so tight and my ankle barely moved post op, I started physical therapy about 6 weeks after and my therapist showed me exercised to do to it at home and now all of that is better. Best of luck to you with your recovery

• Posted

Hey! It's never too late to start physio or rehab therapy, it's just finding the right place to go. I'm five months post op, I also have three screws, secured with an internal brace after having my spring ligament repaired and a false arch fitted. I had physio therapy 6 weeks after my op as soon as I came out of a plaster cast, wearing a boot ofcourse but I could take that off for the sessions. It really really helped. It's mainly work for yourself though you have to stick with your training programme but in the long run it's definitely worth giving it a go. A friend of mine who has had a imar operation to yours didn't do any physio and is feeling the struggle of it now. Like previously mentioned, it's all about finding the right physio for you. And it does get better! Good luck! X

• Posted

Hi, I am now five months post op, and I have been the exact same. I had lots of work done on my ligaments and tendons, fixed with screws and an internal brace. I'm still in trainers and struggling to walk properly. You aren't the only one! It's so tough and it's got a bit worse recently, I'm going to take a trip back to my physio and see what's going on, no harm done! I too was very healthy and fit as I am .. Well was a professional dancer. So being this laid back has been so boring! You aren't alone. Would love to know if there's a bit of hope at the end as you're a bit ahead of me!

Thank you and good luck!

• Posted

Hi Chloe,

?Sorry to hear about your issues following the surgery. It's been 3 years since I had my surgery and i can honestly say it took a year for my foot to start recovering once the joint moved. I still have some nerve pain and swelling but all in all, i am in a much better place now. Having said that, i have just had the same procedure on my right foot (circa 8 weeks post op) and i purposely put the surgery off for this length of time given the problems from my first surgery. Thankfully, I am in a much better position at this stage of the recovery and remain positive for a full recovery. My advice is to continue with physio and stay positive. This surgery is tough and can requires patience, something I didnt have first time round. It challenged me mentally as well as physically and you need to be ready to question and stand up for yourself. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Please let me know how you get on.  

• Posted

Thank you so much, that's really helped knowing that it should get better! Yes definitely both emotionally and physically draining! Thanks for your support I will keep you posted! Good luck for the rest of your recovery, merry Christmas X

• Posted

not often on intenrnet but just read your post.   My story is Aug 2015 had first fusion and biunion removal.    Pain continued and scans showed screws too far through foot and hurting sesamoids.   remedial surgery long wait until May 2016. But   at 8 week check up, after hardware all removed, still in pain and told by surgeon to see podiatrist and get special shoes fitted.  ....! ! !

I was the same as one other writer, weight had crept up, daily steps down to 2-3000, misery, depression etcc etc.    Was seeing my physio about back issue and had a moan andshe said "shall I take a look".   yes please says I!   long story short she started working on the scar tissue and the rigiidty of the whole lower foot due to so little use for nearly 2 years.    I have now been pain free for last 12 weeks and my daily step average is growing.   yesterday shopping trip and I did 10000 without any pain.   So yippee.  hang in there.   find a good physio who knows much more about joint and tissue mobility than surgeon who just know how to chop up and stitch up.   THERE IS LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL.  good luck I was where you are for such a long time and am glad I can now share my story and offer hope.   Merry Xmas from Australia.

• Posted

Hi Valdera, good to hear you are now pain free. My journey took three years in total but happy to report that I am in a good place now. I have just had an osteotomy on my right foot and happy to report this time round, the progress is better than anticipated. I still have a way to go but am positive with physio assistance, i will be back to normal sooner rather than later. Honestly, i could write a book about my first surgery and the mental/physical journey i endured. This is why i waited 3 years to have the second surgery and i was referred to a different surgeon/health authority after much research. It's great to hear some positive endings to experiences with this surgery and I would always tell people to challenge and fight for help. With my second surgery, i have had down days with the pain but i can see improvements every day and this keeps me going. Positivity is key to recovery, that is my message. Thank you for sharing your story and best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.