6 months since accident

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi just thought I'd give you guys all an update. 6 month to the day when I broke my ankle in three places and my tibia and fib.

Well what can I say 2 surgeries

10 pieces of metal MRSA and slight depression later.

I went for my first hike again since it happened wore safety boots.

I was thinking when I'd broken my leg and ankle that id never be able to walk again I've been back to work since July back to full time.

I've done a 7 and a half mile hike. I've got my life back it isn't permanent it's just a hurdle in life. How you over come it is up to you.

Listen to everyone on this site it's what got me through some of my worst days. But even when you feel like there's no light at the end of the tunnel there is! Just hang in there.

5 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Congratulations on your recovery.  I just got the go ahead for partial weight bearing after suffering a trimalleolar fracture on 9/7.  For those of you out there in the early/immobile stages--there is hope. Being immobile and dependent on others for literally everything has been the hardest for me. And others are right.  Don't let your negative thoughts take over. The night before I went to the doctor, I told my daughter I was sure I would never walk again. She (a physician herself, "but not ortho"wink, told me I would certainly walk again, no question about it. I am young (not really, 63), these fractures happen to women my age . . . Her little talk helped get me through the next twelve hours, when I saw the orthopedic surgeon. This forum is a great place for support from others who understand what you are going through.

• Posted

Hey Chazma,

So delighted to hear back from you, and that you are doing really well.

Patients on this forum vitally need to hear about success stories like yours. Every day those unfortunates in early stages of ankle injury recovery read heart-wrenching post after post of so much ankle/foot trauma and drama.

Yes, we certainly need to hear more upbeat stories like yours.  I believe moderate to complete recoveries such as you reported are indeed the rule (although sometimes it is a long time coming-- didn't someone once say that patience is a virtue?).

The reason we don't hear a lot more success stories here is simply that winning patients are too busy with their lives now that they have mobility back.

• Posted

Hi Kpower!

I agree with everything you wrote!

• Posted

Totally agree with you. I think it is super important to give people hope by sharing the happy successful stories. I think sometimes people may be shy about having good times and achieving a healed state when others are struggling, but I think for many reading about a success is the inspiration that we need to strive to also have a successful result.
  • Posted

Well I'm glad I can be of help to those in the early to weight baring stages.

The reason I came back to the site because there was one night I was sat with the darkest thoughts in my mind about trying to end my life (I know it's crazy what goes on in your head). I was stuck in the house I couldn't even get up stairs to the toilet and i just felt like a failure to life.

I used to visit this site daily because of all the bizarre sensations and wanting to know what was next.

And It was literally what everyone went through I went through. On the night in question I remember reading someone's success story of how they had walked around uni etc. And it made me determined to get better to beat how I was feeling.

If I can at least make one person believe and know they can get better than I'm happy, because it was some random strangers story on here that made me stop having suicidal thoughts.

There's tough days there's stressful days and days when you don't have energy. I remember my first day partial weight bearing I wanted to get to the shop. It took me a week to eventually get there. If you have family and friends who help you thank them because they are your support at probably your worst point in life.

Sorry for the long reply most of all good luck and i hope I've gave you all a little bit of hope and a nudge to share your success stories I look forward to reading them.

• Posted

Good Morning,

What a brave soul you are to be so honest with what you have been feeling!! 

But I think that's the beauty of a site like this, you are able to share as you choose in anonymity, which at times is not a bad thing.

You have done so wonderfully well in your recovery, and your wisdom, honesty and advice have helped loads of people looking for answers.

Thank you for being strong enough to survive this ugliness and for everything you have done to help me and many others.

Continued quick recovery and big hugs to you  smile

Best,

Deb

• Posted

Hi Chazma, I hope you are having a good day!

I went through some really dark moments too. To make matters worse I suffer from depression, so I was extremely depressed after my ankle injury. What a pile of upsetting thoughts I had!

I am feeling better now. Some of my mobility has returned, so I am a little more independent. This makes a positive difference for me.

Because I am 63; I must remember to be patient with the healing process. I think everybody has their own healing time.

Stay healthy Chazma!

• Posted

I,m 2 and a half months post surgery for 2 fractures and tendon, have caused myself some further problems by hitting my foot against the wheel of the wheelchair, I,m 70and live alone. I have had some very dark moments where I feel I will never walk again, I have never felt so helpless in my life, my 2 daughters work, they get me shopping at the weekend, after being active and going out I am now housebound.  I come on this site many times a day for reassurance that I,m not alone with this problem.
    • Posted

Hello Ann,

I'm so sorry you are struggling, but I do understand.  

I am 14 weeks in from an ORIF broken fibula, dislocated ankle and torn ligaments.  I had a plate and eight screws in my leg, but the two longest screws have been removed (Sept 27th).

I have just started to full weight bear on my foot in a slipper (it's the only thing I can get on at the moment), up until now I have been using my air cast.  

Just like you, I am older (62) and also live alone, so I do know the difficulties and the endless amount of time you have to think...!

That being said, I am persevering walking with my cane and have found that what hinders me is my head.  I have really tried to concentrate on getting on with walking and trying not to let my thoughts rule my ability to push forward.  It is certainly a journey that I hope to NEVER repeat, but it has taught me to trust my strength and to have more patience (jury is out on that one...lol).

Please hang in there Ann, there really is light at the end of the tunnel and you will get there...one step at a time.

Big hugs your way  smile

Deb

• Posted

Thankyou for replying, I don,t often post I just shadow you all in the day.   I,m about 10 weeks in, I had 6 screws and 2 pins, pins were taken out 4 weeks ago, I,ve got a walking boot but it rubs on the scar on the outside of my foot where I  had a blood blister,i banged my foot  on the wheelchair wheel whilst cooking and doing my housework.     My ankle feels very stiff and wobbly, I live outside London and the after care is pretty bad, it seems very disorganised.   
    • Posted

Hi Ann,

Just a suggestion....my smaller scar on the inside of my ankle was also rubbing and causing me grief in the air cast.  I stuffed anything in there that helped ... paper towel, a piece of towel, a sock ... you name it, I shoved it in there.  I found that it really helped and therefore made it much easier to shuffle along initially.

I am in Ontario, Canada and we're very lucky here with excellent care (for the most part).  My orthopedic surgeon was out of this world wonderful, I did a huge amount of damage to my ankle and without his care and expertise, I wouldn't be walking again as well as I am.  Still a long way to go, but I'm very happy with the progress I have made.

Stay strong Ann, things will get so much better, you'll see  smile

Deb

• Posted

Great advice! Another Ontario, Canada resident here who is also impressed with the care I've received so far... very responsive and helpful. 

I don't have scars but I do have sensitive skin that is prone to get rashy and itchy under the aircast. I find if I take the boot off, elevate and ice it then I get some relief. I also have a variety of lotions that I put onto the irritated spots before I put the long ankle-less tube sock (the one that came with the Aircast... I bought extras so I could rotate them) on and get back into the cast. I find it important to make sure the sock is arranged "just so" to avoid any bunching up that will also cause irritation. I appreciate what the boot is doing for me, but look forward to the day when my foot can go back into a normal shoe again.

Hang in there Ann... it will get better confused

Carolyn

• Posted

Thanks Carolyn,

I have found this site to be so helpful for just about every concern I've had since my nightmare began.  The people are kind and supportive and full of great advice!

Speedy recovery to you Carolyn smile

I appreciate your response, thank you!  

Deb

• Posted

wink yes its 6 months for me as well broken fibula and fracture ankle . I was walking after 3 months still pain but went back to work too. I recently walk 6 miles and never stop. Like from time to time I have pain outside ankle and top of foot but I am dealing with it. I hope to go snow skiing this winter

• Posted

Hi Chazma,

I just wanted to know about how soon could you walk normally without stiffness? I have been in an athletic shoe for a week now, about 11 weeks post op, while it is so great to be walking without aid I do walk like a zombie. I don't have a lot of flexibility yet. Trying to work it out in physical therapy. 

So happy for your successful recovery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.