6 months TKR and in pain

Posted , 52 users are following.

Hi everyone. I'm now 6 months post TKR right knee. It's healed very well. No problems and I try to treat it the same as the other leg.

Walking stairs etc are fine

I can put up with the nerve pain - annoying though it is but the muscle pain is really getting me down.

I still have that tightness above the knee which I can feel when walking.

And on standing or trying to exercise the muscles in the side of the leg and thigh are very painful and I need to hobble a few steps before I can walk.

I have good bend @ 130 but only 2 degrees

for straightening (but still trying)

Is this the same for everyone? Pain wise?

3 likes, 92 replies

92 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Suzi & Caz - good to see some familiar names again 😄

I'm going into my tenth month and although I don't have pain per se, I still can not bend it as normally as my other knee and it's not completely straight either, as I feel a pull when walking. Strangely riding the stationery bike, I feel no pain or stiffness at all. It's just the walking where I feel the pull.

My knee is also still swollen a bit.

I was wondering if those of you in the later months as I are still doing the exercises we were given at the beginning? I'm just walking & riding bike, so maybe that's why bend & straightness is not there yet?

Betty right TKR July 2014

• Posted

Hi Betty I'm about 9 months post op and my knee is still giving me pain at times too.  My bend is only about 105 but the straight is really good. I run a small nursery - plants not children, and have to do a lot of standing and walking so didn't do much other exercise since about beginning of March as I thought I was doing enough walking.  I now wonder if that's why it's got painful again. I have started exercises again and although painful at first, the knee definitely feels better afterwards. Like you, I wonder how long I have to keep these exercises going. They are pretty time consuming. Just lately though, the other knee has been playing up. I know it will need replacing but after the first time, I intend to get lots of injections before going down the TKR route until absolutely necessary!! All the best to you xx
    • Posted

Hi Ruby - yes, I'm thinking I should go back to all those other exercises again, but as you said, they are so darn time consuming! Especially as we progress in our healing & getting on with our lives again, the exercises are hard to fit in!

My other knee is "holding it's own" for the time being, but I fear a hip replacement may be in my future. I have a lot of groin pain & people say that is usually coming from the hip. When I go for my one year check up for my knee, I will have more x-rays done.

Thanks for replying and good luck to you. I'm envious of your job - I love gardening, plants - nature! smile

Betty

• Posted

Oh Betty I think it's the nature of the beast - you get one thing sorted (or nearly in the case of our knees) and something else decides it needs looking at!!! I don't know what's worse, hip pain or knee pain😊 The nursery has kept me going these past few months as I'm sure I would be getting very depressed by now if not for growing these lovely plants and making up hanging baskets etc.  I live on a farm and we diversified from sheep farming to growing and selling plants.  I'm sure it was lambing season that finished my knee off lol. I hope it all goes well for you at your year check up and that the pain you are in goes very soon.  My year check is in August so I will carry on exercising, icing and walking and see what happens then.

take care love and don't overdo the exercising xxx

• Posted

Nice to hear from you again smile I think you're right Betty! I know the surgeon on my last visit told me to keep on with the stretches to get it straight. Keep on with the pedal exerciser. And suggested hydro therapy again - this at 6 months! I can't get time off work but I'm walking and stretching a lot and use the pedal thingy!

Nothing seems to be happening tho. But I guess it will. He also suggested rubbing in Voltarin. That seems to help - I think!

Hope you soon feel ok

• Posted

Hi Betty,

Nice to see you. We only need Jean and Rolland to complete the "old group". And Soobeedoo, last seen on her bike riding around the British countryside.

Before these shin splints attacked me last week, life was too idyllic, I should have known. Hubby and I were walking every day along the seafront in glorious weather. I have lost the 10kg that I put on from before my op, when I was inactive. Des has lost 12kg, just to outdo me!

We are all booked up for our holiday in July to Mauritius, Paris and UK.

Off to see Spandau Ballet soon, and AC/DC in November.

I have physio for these shin pains, he massages that big muscle that run down the leg from the knee. It really hurts when he massages, but after I get relief.

I have also come to the conclusion that I have to do my old exercises because my bend seemed to be deteriorating.

Caz x

• Posted

Nice to see you back to normality.  How is your daughter now, much better I hope.  I am 6 months now and am having the shin pain and awful aches in the ankles.  Looking back on the newly ooerated ones now it seems odd to think back to the bad days doesn't it?  Still glad to see how you and the others that gave me good advice when things were bad in the early days are doing.   Good luck to everyone xx
    • Posted

Hi Susan,

Arent the shin and ankle pains awful? I find a hot water bottle helps. Its still comforting to pop on here and find out that you aren't the only one suffering with something. Kind of makes it normal and not so scary. I was terrified when I couldn't stand last week.

My daughter is doing much better. Thanks for asking. They are monitoring her periods and, all being well, will give her the fertility drug next month. She has told me that if it doesn't work, she will demand a hysterectomy. The endometriosis will only come back again and again. 

Caz x

TKR Sept 2014. Pom in Perth Oz

• Posted

Glad she is doing ok Caz.   I might try the heat, seems a good idea.   I will be glad to get the other six months under my belt as it seems that is the magic number when all will be well...... you haven't got long to go.
    • Posted

Hi Betty, only just found this thread. Good to hear you're getting on ok. I'm not doing badly either. Walking really well on the whole. Still get troubled by this piriformis thing which causes tightness and tingling but I think it's worse when I'm less active. I still get twinges in my knee too especially when I get up from sitting.

You mention exercises. I still do a set each morning. They're ones given for stretching the piriformis in the main but also some for the hips. Like you, I've got an arthritic hip too on the other side and want to keep that going as long as possible. I'm using Flexiseq on it which I think is helping. It's not cheap though. I agree that it's a bind having to keep these exercises up but I think I'd be worse if I didn't. I've got a static bike but I'm afraid I don't use it much.

We'll be coming up to a year post op soon. It was worth it wasn't it 😊 ?I'm off on holiday to Lake Como, Italy next week and the prospect of doing lots of leisurely walking is very appealing. I know I wouldn't have been looking forward to it if I hadn't had the op done. 

Keep smiling 😊😊, Jen xx

• Posted

Hi Caz, nice to hear from you and glad you're daughter's improving. 

Jen x

• Posted

Thanks Jen,

Yes, it's amazing, I never thought that bruise would go!

How are you doing?

Caz x

• Posted

Oh Jen, I just read what you wrote to Betty. You sound like you are doing great. I found that I was walking and using the static bike, but my bend was going down. I'm also doing my old exercises again.

I thought I was doing so well, walking along the beachfront every day with hubby.it was great, I was losing weight and happy.

Then ..... shin splints in my good leg! Ouch, don't they hurt? I couldn't stand, let alone walk. Doc thought it was from walking on hard ground. I went to the physio, he gave me a hard massage and it felt a bit better.

Ive had 3 physio massages now and it's obvious that it was from my fallen arch! So now he has strapped my ankle and I have started wearing Scholls. It's made a huge improvement.

Have fun on your holiday. I'm off to Mauritius then Paris then UK for 5 weeks, leaving in July.

Caz x

• Posted

Sorry to hear of the shin splints - sounds really painful. It seems that a lot of us get secondary problems along the way. I think it must be as we adjust to walking differently. As I said to Betty, my problem with the piriformis muscle has really hampered my progress, touch wood it seems to be on the mend and I get days now when everything feels loose and pain free (relatively!). 

I'm looking forward to walking in Lake Como this week whereas the last holiday I went on in February I was dreading it a bit. So to all of you out there on this journey - things do get better 😊 

Sounds like you've got some exciting travel plans ahead. I hope your foot and leg hold out and you're able to enjoy walking too. Have a great time ✈️👍

• Posted

Hi Jen! Are you in Lake Como yet? How fun for you! We were there in 2002 but were just passing through. We did have lunch though on the lake.

I know what you mean about tightening up if you don't exercise! We spent the last few weeks frantically getting ready for a garage sale ( our whole neighborhood was involved) and although I was doing a lot of standing, bending, lifting & walking, it was not the same as our specific exercises. My knee was killing me! Yesterday I did a proper walk, then came back & rode the stationary bike, & I instantly felt relief, not to mention more energy. I know now that we need to exercise for life, not just until our TKR is healed!

Exercise also helps with all the rest of the arthritis too, which seems to be invading my whole body sad

You said you also have an arthritic hip - is it causing you a lot of pain? I'm starting to feel it more & more so another reason to keep up the exercises, as like you, I want to prevent another surgery for as long as I can.

Have a fabulous trip my friend & I will be anxious to hear about it!!!

XXX Betty 10 months post TKR

• Posted

Hi Betty, we're off to Italy on Wednesday and I'm really looking forward to it though the weather forecast doesn't look too good 😞 I've had a busy week childminding so I'll be glad of a break even if it's raining! 

You're so wise and right about the exercises. I do mine for 20/30 mins before breakfast. I find it harder to do them if I don't get them over with first thing. I was doing a few early evening too but have been lazy and left them lately. I try to do a fair bit of walking each day and the grandchildren keep me busy😄 

My hip is not too bad. As you say, I'm sure the execises help it. I think our only option is to keep moving as much as we can or we'll really stiffen up - I don't like this getting old 😥 

I'll let you know how my Lake Como holiday goes. It's so good to keep in touch. I feel we have so much in common.

Jen (10 months post op) xxxx

• Posted

Hello Betty and Ruby, My wife feels I should be excerising.  I had both knees replaced 6 weeks apart.  I just turned 63 and I am a little over 6 months out.  No swelling, no pain, I do stairs without a problem, I cut my front and back yard this weekend for the first time, without trouble.  I may be the exception reading what others have written, but I wanted you to know,  there is hope.  Never give up.  Now I worked hard at my PT, not overweight.  I am also proud of my progress.  I did my first jog about a month ago, looked like a girl running, but it was a jog.  I guess I am trying to tell you guys, there is a light at the end of this.  Keep working, excerise if needed and I believe I will start if for no other reason than to make my wife happy.  Take care guys, and the very best of luck to you.

Scotty

• Posted

Thanks Scotty for that word of encouragement. I'm 6 months past & still getting horrendous stiffness around the kneecap. I'm not overweight at all I am active but sometimes the stiffness feels like pain & only recently I  have taken painkillers again at night. I just want to be able to live life as normal, was never told  the after affects of TKR . Mine wasn't arthritis it was an injury & I don't feel much better. Your text though is encouraging as lots of the others are, I just want to be normal .guess I'm being impatient at 6 months. But my husband & lots of friends think I should be over it &  that I am just milking it ,Gosh, I wish I was . 

• Posted

Hi Betty I am also 10 months post total knee replacement I have the same symptoms that you do and riding a stationary bike I am pain-free also I see that it's been a few years since this Comment could you please give us an update on how you feel now hoping for the best for you thank you Chris 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.