6 months TKR and in pain

Posted , 52 users are following.

Hi everyone. I'm now 6 months post TKR right knee. It's healed very well. No problems and I try to treat it the same as the other leg.

Walking stairs etc are fine

I can put up with the nerve pain - annoying though it is but the muscle pain is really getting me down.

I still have that tightness above the knee which I can feel when walking.

And on standing or trying to exercise the muscles in the side of the leg and thigh are very painful and I need to hobble a few steps before I can walk.

I have good bend @ 130 but only 2 degrees

for straightening (but still trying)

Is this the same for everyone? Pain wise?

3 likes, 92 replies

92 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Suzie, my surgeon explained that the large ligament above the knee is sliced lengthwise during surgery and takes a lo-o-ong time to heal. That might explain the tightness above the knee. I'm only at 13 weeks, but my physio has taught me some basic massage techniques for that ligament and the thigh muscles. She's really keen on strengthening all the muscles above the knee, so I need the massage to relieve the pain from the excercises!!! I know you're back at work, but it might be worth finding someone who can show you a few massage tips. The voltarin might be working, but it could also be the heat and massage while rubbing it in?

Best of luck

Denise from Oz

• Posted

Thanks Denise. That's comforting to know there's a probable reason. Makes a lot of sense.

I'll try some massaging all over the leg. Hopefully that will do some good smile

• Posted

I am having same issue I am in constant pain and tightness in R knee. Now my thighs of both legs are in pain 24/7. I am going to another next week to see what's wrong. My life is not the same any more

• Posted

Hi all,

I had my TKR July, 2014 and wondering if anyone on the forum at that time is still following this forum?

I miss all you great people and would love to hear how you are doing!

I'm doing OK although my knee is still numb after all this time and can NOT kneel on it whatsoever! I'm also due for a hip replacement soon which I think makes it hard to really know how successful the TKR was.

Hope to hear from some of you great people ( OFG - how are you doing??)

Betty

• Posted

Hi Suzie I'm also a Susie and 6 months post TKR - I am in pain when standing after sitting. I need to take a few painful steps then walk. I still waddle. I try to walk normally but can't. I'm doing steps one at s time up and down and if I walk too long my knee gives out.

My bend is great, straightening can be not so good at times. I have been keeping up my exercises ( probably not to the degree I should be) ... I just got a pedal exerciser to try to help strengthen. Not quite sure what reps I should be doing and how often though?

I have to say I'm by as good as I thought I'd be by now.

Susie

• Posted

Hi, I just entered this group. How are you now. Six months post TKR, I have the same problem of pain standing after sitting.  Is there any treatment 

BTW I am from India. 

• Posted

Hello Suzidownunder, my name is Daniel I had a TKR (Left) 6 months ago, May 16the my problem is stretching, laying flat on my back to stretch the hamstring and the siattic nerve in which it gets on my nerve but I feel better once I stretch I can't bend my leg like my right leg, u know the way we can grab our good leg and pull it up to our behind, I can't do my left leg at all up to my behind while standing up can u?

• Posted

Also doing squats will help u at your own pace and weights with your knee I do 3 sets of twenty at a Recreation center as u position yourself in the chair lift your leg upward as many times as u can , then turn your leg to the left to build your definition on the inside then turn your leg to the right to build the outer side of knee and leg area it really makes a difference but u have to be determined and I can see that u are also the pool really helps as well also do some lunges like leaning forward. I hoped that this has helped. Hope u feel better. Take care.
  • Posted

I am post going on 7 months still in a lot of pain as well especially at bedtimes so stiff in the morning can hardly walk praying that each day it gets better on on God Got You

Sandra

• Posted

I am suffering more stiffness and pain after surgery than others who have the same procedure.  I am going to the gym and working on exercise machines, lifting weights, bicycling, and swim. Stiffness, swelling, unstable joint, and pain are a constant battle.  This has been 7 months of ups and downs with mostly downs.  I have problems going up and down stairs.  Could take more than a year to recouperate. Other surgeries took 8 weeks to heal and I feel this is not the kind of thing to take lightly since they do sever your leg and replace it with a prosthetic device (foreign object). At near 70 and in reasonably good health I did what I thought was important to me and my future outlook. Not knowing what to expect I gave the surgeon my ok to do the proceedure.  I am stuck with what I am going through and as I have read, I am not alone in my frustration or situation.  The other knee is bad too but I want to wait and see how this goes before doing anything further.  Should have had a penis enlargement.
    • Posted

Hi Matt, yes the Tkr surgery is NIT  for the weak. I'm 5 months post op seemed to be doing ok but now the stiff band around my knee, is crucifying me. I guess I don't rest enough & it sounds you probably don't but having life on hold is the worst thing. 

• Posted

Hi matt. Yes we're not told beforehand how long a full recovery takes. I am 6 months TKR & knee is still really stiff, seems worse when I'm on it a lot , most of the day, but then I'm told we should excerise 

• Posted

Folks I am here for the long haul ahead and wish to express my sincere appreciation for the time you have taken to express yourselves.  So with a stiff upper knee (left) and a bad right knee, I am hoping that all works out for you and that whatever I go through to get back to as normal as possible helps, not only me.  I tried low impact exercises and find doing weigh machines and bicycling tolerable and helpful.  You have to take one day at a time.  Some weeks are better than others.  Day to day ups and downs are part of the recovery which is shorter for some and longer for others.  I find it comforting to be hopeful and optimistic.  It is a hard thing to go through especially alone with 2 dogs.  But I am determined to be as helpful to you as I can only get better if I am patient and pursue things which I find helpful and beneficial.  Good heath, stay safe, don't worry and be happy.

• Posted

Hi everyone,

I've been following this thread since my op, I'm 44 and 8 months post op following a TKR in my right leg.

Like you all I've experienced lots of downs and just enough ups to stop me from loosing the plot.

I'm currently on a big down as, as well as nerve pain on the outside of my knee (there is no longer any numbness) it feels like every muscle in both legs are tight that I can barely walk, and when I do I'm very 'hobbly' indeed.

I felt I was doing really well and seem to have taken a dozen (totally normal, big) strides backwards.

I feel rather at a loss as to where to go from here, I have an appmt to see my consultant in a month but that's a long way off at the moment.

So does anyone have any tips on how to ease the pain, both nerve and muscular?

Many thanks in advance.

• Posted

Don't give up Julie.

It is good that you have an appoinment with your consultant.

When I had TKR 5 years ago I was told it would be about a year before I really began to feel the benefits and I think that is about right.

So you still have a way to go yet.

Regarding pain things like icing and keeping the knee elevated sitting on sofa or bed for a bit can help. I have an adjustamatic bed and that is extremely helpful.

Try other things for pain rather than taking painkillers if possible.

Also a hot bath can really help as can swimming.

Hope this helps.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xx

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Sarah,

It was so bad when I got up this morning that I made a GP appmt and was seen first thing this morning.

The doctor thinks the pain may be due to Vitamin D deficiency, my vitamin D levels were very low last year and I was prescribed high does capsules for 3 months then advised to take high dose over the counter ones which I've done.

She suspects the over the counter ones are not sufficient for me but I have a blood test booked to confirm next week. In the meantime she's prescribed codeine tablets to relax the muscles and ease the pain.

Fingers crossed it's the vitamin D and once my levels are up I'll feel human again.

• Posted

Julie, I had both knees replaced, 6 weeks apart.  I just turned 63 and I am a little over 6 months out with the 2nd knee.  When my muscles and  nerves were hurting, I used a hot rice bag and rubbed my legs.  That seemed to help me.  Wishing you the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.