6 week restrictions 😞

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi Ive got my thp on 29th Dec it will be posterior and un-cemented.

I spoke to the occupational therapist and she has said I will be partial weight bearing on crutches. She said I wont be able to shower for 6 weeks, even though ive got a walk in cubicle shower. I can handle the non-shower part just about but how do people wash their hair?

Thanks Caron

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Caz. I also had Posterior non-cemented. I could weightbear immediately and said I could shower the day my staples came out. I believe that was about 17 days after surgery.   Can you get a friend or relative to wash your hair. ?
    • Posted

Thanks. I can ask my hubby to help over the kitchen sick. That will be fun and games.
  • Posted

HI Caz83

My wound was dressed with a waterproof dressing, and I was encouraged to shower by myself in the hospital, before I went home two days after the op. I was given three waterproof dressings to take home and was told I could shower whenever I wanted (I have a walk-in shower) and to change the dressing only if the wound was weeping a lot or the dressing came loose. I would check with a nurse or your surgeon about showering just in case the OT has got it wrong. Being able to enjoy a proper shower in the early days will make you feel much more positive and this is important.

Best of luck with your op and recovery

sjhips

• Posted

Thats what I said to my hubby. I know its a totally different situation but when ive come home after having my children all ive wanted to do is shower and its always done the world of good. Thank you for your advice. I will talk to them once Ive had the op.
  • Posted

I was told I could shower as soon as I felt able as I had a waterproof dressing. In my case thar was at 1 week using the perching stool sides as a support and with the help of my husband or daughter. Washed hair under shower. Before that my daughter washed my hair. I sat on perching stool in kitchen, back to sink, keeping to 90 degree rules was able to lean far enough back for her to wash my hair. Posterior/ lateral approach on crutches but taught to use them weight bearing by putting foot completely on floor when walking. Hope this helps
  • Posted

I do not understand why u cannot shower for that long. I had a waterproof bandage on my incisions and was able to shower, just about direct water on it. 
  • Posted

Hi Caz I had LTHR on 29th November, had waterproof dressing on and showered in the hospital on the 1st December I walk with 2 crutches.  I got out of hospital on the 2nd December and showered everyday until I had to get my dressing changed because it was irritating my skin and the district nurse put on a dry dressing so I could not shower for 4 days I got that off today and first thing I did was shower just make sure no scented soaps or lotions go on your wound that’s what the nurse told me. Good Luck with your operation.

Big Hugs 

Jacq x

• Posted

Thank you for your advice. Hope your recovery goes well.
  • Posted

Caz, do you have a shower or tub chair to help you out? 
    • Posted

I have a walk in shower cubicle with a big lip to step over. Yes I have got a tub chair.
  • Posted

I have now had 2 THR and one replacement and all 3 times was showering within days.  Was on crutches, used a shower seat under shower and had the help of hubbie or the nurse in hospital.  My wound was covered with plastic strip so waterproof.  You don't say if your shower is in the bath which would make it sound reasonable that you could not get into the bath for the shower.  Me... I would be going to a council pool where there are hot showers, I could not wait 6 weeks.

All the best.

• Posted

Thanks for the tips. My shower is a walk in cubicle, it has a big lip to step over but it wouldnt break the 90 degree restriction.
    • Posted

Just be careful getting in and out of the shower. I took my crutches into the shower and the wet ends can slip on tiles outside and even on the shower floor. Take small steps so the crutches are nearly vertical and put the ends on a mat outside as you leave the shower.

I didn't use a chair in the shower - if you are partial weightbearing you can balance OK (or I could anyway) but be careful when you dry your hair as covering your head does make it harder to balance.

Hope the op goes well

Mike

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.