6 weeks after ankle surgery

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am 6 weeks in after broken ankle surgery.

Been in a walking boot for the last 1 1/2 weeks but still no wb

How long does it take for foot colour to return to normal and all the feelings to come back.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The color of my foot did not get back to normal for almost 6 months. It has been 8 months and I still have some tingling in my foot, but not too often.  It is a journey. Good luck.  
    • Posted

Thankyou

Was worried that it was not a good sign of healing.

That's reassured me 😀

• Posted

You're doing great. Don't worry. Also don't read all sorts of bad stories about recovery. I can prove you that recovery is possible. smile

• Posted

Thankyou

I have read lots of horror stories so ended up coming of here for a while

• Posted

Everybody heals differently. Some people are not fit, others have bad surgeries, but most of them are afraid. Just relax now in the first weeks and then do your exercises when the time comes. You will be fine. I am a PT and seen a lot of cases and knew that I had to be normal again. Focus on your recovery and do it well!
  • Posted

Hi. I am 12 weeks post surgery and walk unaided without a limp. First 6 weeks are the hardest. However after 2 weeks you will feel better. Good luck. 
    • Posted

Thankyou

Is it scary to first start walking again?

So scared and worried about how it will feel also do not want to hinder my progress as just want to be back to normal again

• Posted

First 6 weeks are usually no weight bearing, followed by 2-6 weeks partial weight bearing. Every surgeon is different in regards to that. I had 6 weeks no weight bearing, then 6 weeks partial weight bearing, then I was given the ok to walk in my shoes. I needed 2 days to learn to walk again. A few days later I walk properly. Don't be afraid. Just want to be back to your normal life and you will!

• Posted

I am wondering all this too. What is partial weight bearing ? Like how do you not put weight only some weight on it? I've obviously never broken a bone...

• Posted

Pwb is allowing to put a little weight through your toes whilst walking

Well was for me 😀

• Posted

I'm 10 wks in! I just got non wb boot one wk ago. My foot still turns color and tingles especially at night. When having an ankle broken it causes the blood flow to not flow properly at times. It takes time for things to heal but they do! Don't push yourself! Allow your body the time it needs. The body is working very hard to get back to normal. Rest, try to relax and listen to your surgeon. Good luck!!

• Posted

Thankyou

Went back for a check.up on Monday

Have some foot exercises and am now allowed to wb

And supposed to learn to walk again ????

Really difficult

My foot is continously swollen and purple yuk

And have yet to try and put my foot fully on the floor

• Posted

Happy to hear of your progress! I can understand the hesitation in putting your foot on the floor. My husband has broken his ankle twice many years ago and he warned me that this will happen. It is one moment at a time. This is quite the journey! In one sense it is wonderful because we are all learning lessons but on the other it is quite overwhelming ! Hang in there I wish you the best in your recovery !! Ps I too cannot stand how the foott turns color and the nerve activity is something else! 🙏🏼

• Posted

Ps please allow yourself time. Don't feel like you have to rush your recovery. Listen to your body because it will talk to you if you listen. I hope you don't mind me saying this!! I needed to hear it myself! 🙏🏼🙏🏼 Blessings to you!

• Posted

Thankyou

Want to progress but scared too

As don't want to hinder my healing.

Wishing you all the best 😃

• Posted

Hello, just joined this thread.

I fractured my ankle in two places, requiring surgery (pins plates and screws) 4 weeks ago in Turkey. The care I received there was fabulous but now I'm back home, I'm so worried for the future I.e. Jowcwill things be a few weeks down the line.

the answers and questions on here have really helped. on average, how long has it taken everyone to partial then fully weight bare again?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.