6 Weeks Post Op

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello!

I'm desperately trying to find out if having pain 6 weeks after my TKR is not uncommon. I'm having a lot if pain and bending the knee. I'm still taking pain meds, especially at night. I'm in quit a bit of pain after going out for awhile. My knee is tight and I think that's normal, right?

Some of my PT exercises I can do really well and others, especially working on ROM is difficult.

Is any of this normal?? I feel really discouraged at this point. Any help is appreciated.

2 likes, 69 replies

69 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Not  uncommon at all Jana!  Totally absolutely normal what you're going through.  NEVER feel discouraged, recovery can take up to a year or two.  Just keep doing the exercises, push yourself a little, but not too much.  Listen to your body and let your body guide you.  You will reach a happy medium.

I'm very glad that you found this forum!

• Posted

Thank you so much for your help and encouragement! This definitely helps!
    • Posted

Hi I am wondering if it is ok to have a very hot knee. I am nearly six weeks after op and although I ice about six or seven times a day with I. A few minutes my knee is very hot again. I take pain meds to exercise but otherwise use ice for relief.

Every little oddity seems magnified when you don't know what to expect.

• Posted

If its extremely hot and anti inflammatories won't bring down the heat you should probably have it checked. I would try increasing my fluid intake substantially and add something like Aleve every 12 hrs and see if that plus ice and more rest will help.

• Posted

just to be on the safe side ask your doctor to run your bloods checking inflammation markers
  • Posted

All very much the ordinary. 6 weeks should be your very 1st benchmark which means you are underwaybut have a ways to go. Take the pain meds as needed, ice, elevate, and increase your hydration. Keep up the exercise without thinking you have to punish yourself. Things will happen but only on your s schedule, not someone elses.

Nice name...same as my oldest daughters

• Posted

Ah! Thank You! Doctors don't tell you what to expect might happen after surgery. Thank goodness for your help!

Thank you for the compliment on my name. You don't hear many people that have it! Very special!!

• Posted

If that's your zip code, were close...mines 66061

• Posted

Mmmmmm....Texas.  Moving here to the warm climate put my TKR off for 6 years and has certainly been good to the whole 4 1/2 pounds of metal in my body.  Can't imagine what it would be like back in Joisey...  Found 3/4 of an acre 20-minutes west of Fort Worth.  Very country (the place, not the horrid music...I'm a blues bassist) but close to FTW and Dallas,  Love it.

• Posted

Wow! We are close! I'm in Dallas. The acreage sounds nice. Nothing like being "away" from all the hustle of the city, but still close enough to get back to it. 😉

• Posted

Hudson Oaks...the "hole" in the "donut" of Weatherford...I'm a mile from the lake.  15 minutes from FTW; under an hour to get to "D".  Cowtown is waaaaay more laid back than Dallas.  Lots more "country" out here than in the city.  Everything you could possibly want within 10 minutes, no traffic, no city taxes...just a nice, quieter place.  My knee doc is 15 minutes away in FTW and my spine guy is an extra 10 (hospital area, a little more "downtown"wink.  The "warmth" is great because the humidity is a lot lower than back in NY/NJ.  There, it would be 95 degrees and 95% humidity.  So much better here.  No more moving...done with that...

• Posted

Chico....how do you feel about this new f format. I hate typing like I'm replying to a messenger or text message in straight line. Wish they had left well enough alone.

• Posted

I think they did the font larger for us old folk.  That's OK but it's a bit too big plus they left the editor in small type.  Also, instead of any separation between threads within a discussion, they use the single, double, etc. blue lines on the left.  OK for IT but not intuitive for regular people.  They can leave the lines but they need separation between the threads.  Finally, I wish they would allow the edit of a post...once you hit "Reply" there are no correction capabilities.  Plus the images are still too small when attached to the post...should be larger.

But then again, I've only been doing this crap for 46 years...what the hell do I know...

• Posted

I hate typing and waiting to see what you have written. I spend all my time correcting mistakes !
    • Posted

Sounds like a wonderful place to be! How long since you moved there? I've been in Richardson all my life.

All my have lives/lived here.

• Posted

Try installing the free version of Grammarly into your browser.  Not perfect ( I HATE THE OXFORD COMMA!!!) but it helps...
    • Posted

My wife is from Taos, NM and I'm from Joisey.  We got married 2/10 and moved here that June for a job (Jersey was dead and she has family here).  I think the government in Austin is completely nuts (now it's legal to open-carry a sword!!!) but I ignore all that crap.  I'll be 70 in 7 months so I won't be alive long enough to see that I have beachfront property right outside of Fort Worth...

• Posted

Congratulations and welcome to Texas!

Love Taos also, want to vaca there soon.

Yes, Austin is nuts, completely crazy!

• Posted

Driving to Santa Fe Labor Day weekend.  Staying for a few days to visit our favorite haunts and then parking our butts at Ojo Caliente, the mineral springs spa an hour north.   Get covered in mud and bake in the sun.  Float around in the natural waters under the dark blue New Mexico sky.  Mmmmm......  We desperately need a relaxing vacation.
    • Posted

You've given me food for thought. My Dad passed away just 7 months ago. Unexpectedly and surprisingly due to stage 4 colon cancer. Only lived 2 1/2 months after diagnosis. I'm searching for places that my kids (adult) and I can travel easily, especially in December.

• Posted

I'm a proofreader and editor, it annoys the **** out of me if I spot a mistake after I've posted

• Posted

Thank you Chico. Free IT advice as well as copious amounts of interesting knee stuff.
    • Posted

Well said Cheryl ha ha. I hate text speak and grammatically incorrect phrasing you can't remedy. Not a proofreader. Just a Brit who is fussy!

• Posted

LOL Tricia, and shhhh don't tell anyone, but grammarly's not good either, changes the meaning too often. I'll get my tongue out of my cheek now.

• Posted

I use Grammarly and it's OK but not great.  Plus, even when you turn the option off, it still enforces the Oxford Comma.  I HATE THE OXFORD COMMA!!!!!!  I know there's a spell check plug-in for Chrome (my browser) but I've been too lazy to install it.  So I put up with Grammarly's quirks...  Too many other things to handle day to day.  I'll be 70 soon and I still work in IT as a Process Architect for AT&T corporate.  Never quitting.  I'll either die at my keyboard or on stage playing bass with my band.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.