6 Weeks Post Op and Cast comes off tomorrow

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I'm 6 weeks post op today cast comes off tomorrow what should I expect? I've been putting a lil pressure on the cast for the past couple days feels ok but I go in the boot tomorrow I'm a little nervous and apprehensive about it.

How was your first day in a boot of walking after the cast?

Thanks

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am anxious to hear about this too... I am a month behind you and am worrying about what it will be like to try to start putting weight on my ankle....
    • Posted

I will post about it tomorrow I go to the doctor at 1:20pm EST so I will tell everyone how my first day on my feet goes. Wish me luck....
  • Posted

I got my boot at five weeks and I was very nervous. Doctor only wanted me to do stretching exercises for two weeks. I've been standing on it with little to no pressure for the last week. My only issue is feeling pins and needles on the bottom of my foot. My two weeks is up on Thursday and I'm nervous about 25% weight bearing. I'll be using a walker. I suppose I'll go as far as I feel comfortable and then rest until I can try again. I'm expecting pain that night but I'm up for it. I want to walk again!

• Posted

I'm bringing the even up shoe the doctor told me last visit I'll be able to walk this visit so I'm hoping I can.

• Posted

Hi Danette, Good luck and I am sure it is exciting to get rid of that plaster beast. My original appointment to get mine removed was next Tuesday but do to complications with the cast I went from Splint, to Cast to book in one day (but three different visits).

Atleast for the one day and the two weeks prior in the splint I can say the #1 thing I enjoyed the most was being able to air things out and cool everyhting off. It was amazing how that one little thing was psychologically the most relaxing part of getting that cast off. Yeah I know it was only one day, but between the swelling and the 110 degree day it felt like it had been weeks. I still have been no weight bearing since July 12th and am excited and a little nervous at the same time in hopes ot be able to start putting some weight back on the ankle. 

Everything now for me is pending on the results of the Xrays.  Please let us know how it goes and what the doctor says tomorrow. Good luck.

• Posted

I sure will I'm so anxious just to soak in the tub and relax all my muscles at once!

• Posted

Hi Danette,

Good luck for your appointment today. I had bimalleolar surgery with 2 plates and 9 screws put in. and am 14 weeks+ and now walking unaided. I was given a boot at my 6 weeks appointment and was told I can weight bear as tolerated. I used the boot only for around 2 weeks and stopped using it as my physio therapist asked me to. My bones were healed but I had ligament damage which is still a problem but getting better with exercises.

I would say you will feel weird and will take time to get used to the boot. Give it some some and don't get upset or anxious as it's normal. I dint have much pain but still took me 3 days to properly walk with the boot using the crutches. You can slowly ditch each crutche one after one and then the boot slowly. 

I dint needed the even up shoe as I tried walking without the boot at home and don't go out much.

One important thing is please make sure your stitches/incision area is completely dry before you put much weight on as u will get very much swelling and the stitches may split. Not scaring you but just a precaution as this happened to me and couldn't walk for a week until it healed. Keep your feet elevated when possible and ice.

Good luck for today

• Posted

Hi all the plaster beast is gone I'm in a boot with gradual weight bearing. Still on the crutches for the next 7-10 days but the cast is off and I'm relieved!! He's ordering me a machine and cream and I have to start pt!!!

• Posted

How was your physical therapy, did you see improvement in days or weeks. 
    • Posted

Hi Kenneth,

I start PT next Wednesday the doctor told Be to take this week to do gradual weight bearing. He also told me the PT ppl should only move the ankle up and down if they try to twist it and I quote " hit them"! I'm so happy to be able to do the little things. You really don't fully understand how important an appendage is until you can't use it.

I will keep everyone posted on PT I'm afraid of that. He's also ordering me a machine and some cream for my ankle I didn't catch the full name of it though. 

• Posted

I started therapy last week and I've made a lot of improve within that one week. I'm six weeks post op with ankle broken in three places . Therapy has been really good and I'm doing my work at home also. 

• Posted

That's great! The machine I found out is a tens machine I still feel hardness in my ankle because I have anchors the doctor said. I hope pt feels good I'm so still.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.