6 weeks post surgery big toe pain?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi i'm 6 weeks post surgery and i have this odd sensation under my big tow near the tip, it almost feels as if i'm stepping on a staple if i press on it too hard ? Has anyone had this? i should have mentioned it at my consultation but forgot! could this be the nerves? its not anywhere near the cut?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kate I have this problem still 7 weeks post surgery. I spoke to my consultant and he said it will be nerve pain. I go back tomorrow to have my cast removed and to see about the pain xx

Hope your on the mend xx

• Posted

thank you. i had no cast and have been walking for a few days now. driving too!! i had scarf & akin surgery (cant spell the other word ha!)

just hoping this niggly pain goes away in the end! x

• Posted

Did you have any hardware inserted there? Fusion? Are you walking, putting weight on your foot? Next week I have my 6 week appointment and I was told that I would have an x ray taken and if everything seems Ok, I will be allowed to start walking. I have not put my foot down at all yet. As instructed.

• Posted

hi yes there is a large staple near the site of the pain, i know that is secured from the x rays. so its not loose. but its quite an odd feeling!

• Posted

I haven't walked at all on my foot either. In a cast up to my knee. My appointment is this afternoon to have cast off and xray to see if all healed okays my fingers are crossed for me to be able to weigh bare. When yous started to walk what was the feeling like xx

• Posted

Why do you have a cast? Did your doctor explain? Is that standard procedure with your doctor? Yes, I noticed that some people do get casts, other things. I was not put in a cast. Just an aircast boot for the first 2 weeks. Then a rigid sole, soft neoprene top sandal which I can take off when I am in bed which is most of the time. My problem is getting out of the house and into the car since there are about 10 outside steps which I have to navigate and I have to drag myself on my butt. And the steps are icy and wet and now it has snowed too.....

• Posted

I too had to scoot on my butt to get in and out of my house! But not in the snow that must really be difficult.

The scooter is great for inside, but I found crutches impossible to navigate the steps with.

It seems that British doctors do casts too, I didn't have that either. Surgical shoe non weight bearing to a walking boot at 4 weeks. The walking boot caused knee and ankle problems that finally seem better.

Because of the difficult recovery I am re-thinking getting the other foot done!

• Posted

Are you in the UK? When I left the hospital after surgery, I left with both crutches and a walker. I found crutches impossible and so settled on the walker. But it was still hopping and that is so tiring. After a week or so, I ordered a knee scooter but I couldn't use it since in order to go to the toilet, I had to maneuver a few tight corners and then once arrived near the toilet, I could not descend from the scooter, nor turn it around. I then hit on the great idea that I needed something compact, on wheels which could turn 360 degrees.So, lo and behold, there is such a thing and I had it already. A small office chair. it works like a charm. I navigate on it with no problem. They should tell you about this when you have the surgery. Now, if I could come up with a great idea as to how to navigate the outside steps to get to the car, that would be brilliant!

• Posted

Yes I have and to me it feel like a needle is pricking my toe from the inside. With me it's a plastic pin that was placed in my toes to keep toe straight while it heals. That pin is working itself out of my toe and I'm not a bit happy about the situation.

• Posted

where is the plastic pin? Is it supposed to be permanent? And plastic? I have a metal pin in my second toe (next to the big toe) and it is sticking out. It is there to straighten my toe. Only there for 6 weeks. Next week it will come out and things will improve. Good luck with your situation. Sooner or later it will be ok.

• Posted

To my knowledge it was permanently there but now dr said it working itself out, he also said if it causes me discomfort, he can do a "block" and remove it. He said it's only there until it heals. I took that as I sure made a mistake by allowing him to do this surgery and I'm so sorry I went this Avenue.

• Posted

My big toe has metal plate and is stationary. The next two toes, as dr explains, is plastic in order to hold toes in place during healing process. The problem is for me, as according to dr, it's backing out of my toe through the skin. I just found out at my last appointment with him two weeks ago. He said he can remove if it's problem. It's a problem all right but I don't want him doing anything else to me. No faith in him...

• Posted

I am surprised those pins are plastic. Mine is metal and it stays put. SO many doctors, so many ways.......

• Posted

The one in my big toe is metal and will not move. The problem with that is, it's made my foot much wider causing me not to be able to wear my normal shoes, boots, ect...

Now it looks as if I'm going to have to purchase special shoes to fit my foot, which I feel like isn't going to be affordable.

• Posted

Hi Kate et al

I just wanted to let you all know that I had my surgery on 31st July and had quite similar problems that you all seem to have but would like to reassure everyone that things will get better and it is so worth it in the long run. I am not completely healed yet but with every day it is getting so much better.

Just do as your surgeon tells you. Everyone is different and I can honestly say that the feelings you are having I had them too with the same anxiety as everyone but it soon passes. Remember you have had surgery and the nerves are still repairing themselves.

I cannot believe it is over 4 months since I had my bunion fixed. Best thing I did!! Keep your spirits up image

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.