6 weeks progress stalled?

Posted , 8 users are following.

i am stiffer and more sore this week than last.  Little pains all over the knee.  Anyone else experiencing this at this stage?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Cathy I did. Right at 6 weeks. I thought what the heck is going on? Over doing? Not sure what it was. It's hard not to get discouraged but hang in there. Do your exercises. Ice rest elevation. And don't over do. Rest when you need to. I'm 8 weeks po and have finally turned the corner. A long time coming it seems. At times I thought I'm never going to be able to do the things I used to do. And it was hard to keep pushing on. But trust me it does get better. It really does..♡
  • Posted

As the swelling goes down and you are beginning the strengthen your muscles and stretch everything else, it is only natural that you are going to experience pain, also as you begin to heal the nerve ends are starting to knit together, this will be your most frustrating pain, as it will come and go, from a tingle to downright agony. I am not saying this WILL happen to you, but it might. Think of all the pain as healing pain. It will, hopefully, help you to cope better. Most importantly, take you pain meds regularly, not just when you think you need them as this will create a peak and trough issue, which is really not good for your rehab.
  • Posted

I am almost 5 weeks post op and I to feel that the past few days my knee as been stiffer than previous days also I am getting shooting pains over the knee and bad ones at the back.

I did bleed a lot durning the operation thus my knee still very brusied so dont if that is the problem, hopefully this is just a normal process of our recovery

• Posted

I hope so too, Karen27010.  The r plies I got from sueisobel and linked were so encouraging!  Be sure to read them.  
    • Posted

I mean linlee.  Darn spell check😝 
  • Posted

Hi. Cathy

we're all in the same boat: good days and bad then better weeks. I'm 3 1/2 months post TKR. Believe it or not, at this point I'm starting to forget the pain of those first weeks. But there is still pain, stiffness and all over achin ess. Still need to take NSAIDs daily and to get to sleep. Some is attributed to sitting too long, riding in car too long, standing too long, walking too far or over doing the workouts, yard work, house work...uhhh..sounds like life, doesn't it? Just know- do what you've been told, listen to your own body and know it will get better day by day. Good luck and love!

• Posted

Melinda I'm laughed at your post because I was thinking this morning what I need to do. I need to sit but not too long. Need to do pt but don't over do it. Need to stand to do all you said but not too long. It's a balancing act...Some days I get it right some days not so much. 3 1/2 months....I'm 2 months. How Are you doing stairs ? I can go up holding the hand rail. Going down I'm having issues. When did you start driving?
    • Posted

I'm 9 weeks and have started doing bit more in last few days but am paying for it tonight, my foot is swollen, knee is achey and top of shin is really sore where it joins new bit, am so tired too and it is only 19:36 bed will be soon, if I can sleep ha ha. Think tomorrow will have to be a bit easier!

Linlee I'm the same as you on stairs can use leg as should going up but nees to use hanrail too, as for going down I am trying to use both legs properly but operated one has other ideas!

As for driving I was told at 7 weeks as bend was good I could but I find it uncomfortable in behind knee, only drive at moment if have to. x

• Posted

My bend is 95. Hoping for 100 tomorrow. The thought of getting behind the wheel right now is a little unsettling. I need to drive to work. My tentative return to work is 5/31. I have 15 stairs a landing then 9 more to get to my office. That frightens me too. I do have to say this past week I have started to feel so much better. I think not taking the pain meds have made a difference. I just take tylenol if I need something. I was beginning to think I would never feel normal again.
    • Posted

I too need to drive to work, but am not going back till middle June, I have only a few stairs in work but will be on my feet from 8-3;30 with just half hour break so really not looking forward, only positive thing is it wil only be afew weeks as I am a teaching assistant and will break up for summer in July. I too have reduced pain meds down and only take cocodamol 30/500 if I need to and anti-inflams when my other knee drives me mad. It is good to feel a bit normal --just to get on to of sleeping! x
    • Posted

What is your bend now ? I was at a stand still at 6 weeks. 4/27 I had manipulation. pt got my bend to 105 in 3 days. They really worked it so hard that my knee swelled and my bend went to 40! My dr Pulled me from pt for 3 days. They worked it to hard. So I'm making small progress now. And I switched pt. :-)
    • Posted

When I had my consultant check up last week he said 120+ but when I saw physio next morning(my last session) she said it was only 110 so I somehow lost 10+ overnight. I feel the bend is good and am happy with it, will keep doing physio, static bike and walk to hopefully stop it going back,  consultant was happy and said he would not see me till one year post op unless any problems, x
    • Posted

110! That is so awesome! I hope I get there some day...

• Posted

You definately will, we all will. It just takes time  and patience x
    • Posted

HI Linlee,  hope all week well at the races.  How did your hubby do?  Stairs...I was between 9 and 10 weeks before able to come down correctly.  Your muscles have to be to a certain healing level and that just takes time per the surgeon.  He told me I could not make it happen no matter what exercises I do.  I was told to try on occasion...and eventually I would be able.

pam

• Posted

Forgot...didn't drive 'til almost six weeks with TKR as it was right leg and I drive a pickup truck. Fortunately, I had my chauffeur. But glad to now have freedom again. 
    • Posted

When you start back at work, you are going to be in pain after the first day to the point that you wonder if you are ready. You are, but you need to keep taking your meds until you really, really don't need them, otherwise you will be all over the place.  Being on your meds will not affect your ability to cope with the mini monsters.  As soon as you arrive, your natural ability to work will kick in, so don't be apprehensive as they will pick that up in a heartbeat.  Let them all know you have a metal knee and that you have to be careful for a while.  Before long you will have them eating out of your hands. But be honest with them.  By the end of the first day you will be totally exhausted, but bask in the knowledge you made it. Just make sure you rest up, with feet elevated
    • Posted

Thank you sueisobel, I wil do. You really help me with all your lovely positive words. It will be good to fully get back to normal even though I know it will not be for a few weeks yet. Thank you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.