6 weeks since abdominal surgery, still no period?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

It's been 6 weeks since abdominal surgery to remove two benign tumours from my pelvis (outside of my uterus and ovaries).

I still haven't had a normal period and I'm eager to begin trying for a baby.

Has anyone else had this type of surgery and experience issues with your menstrual cycle after surgery? How long was it it until your period arrived?

Any help would be much appreciated 😉😉

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello.  I had laparotomy three weeks ago to remove a 15cm benign mucinous tumor from my left ovary.  Despite the surgery my period was not delayed and arrived two weeks post surgery (true to my cycle).  You didn't mention your age, I am 43.  I'm sure the trauma from the surgery is just delaying you a bit.  My doctor advised me to wait at least three months before resuming gym activity and advised against intercourse for at least eight weeks.

All the best to you as you recover!

• Posted

Hi I think I have replied to you in a other post and agree with Rhonda it could be the trauma and stress and worry of it all why it's been delayed,try not to worry it will arrive when it's ready 😊Rhonda can I please ask how you were diagnosed with your tumour please?i have a repeat ultra sound tomorrow for an enlarged ovary showing a heterogenous texture,a cyst or tumour wasn't mentioned but gyno asked for a repeat scan to check.was yours diagnosed through a transvaginal scan I hope you don't mind me asking thank you Michelle x
    • Posted

Hi Michelle...Believe it or not I had no symptoms despite the fact that I had a football sized mass on my ovary.  I did bleed a bit heavier with my periods but really that was all.  I was diagnosed via catscan due to a visit to the ER for stomach/digestive issue.  The surgeon removed the ovary and both fallopian tubes.  I am fortunate enough to have two children and will probably foster any future kids so I was okay with removing the tubes smile My doctor said that tube removal has been shown to reduce the risk of future tumors/cysts.  I did have two transvaginal scans following my ER visit.  I will say the OBGYN/Ultrasound Tech were inaccurate in their findings, in that they said that my growth had some solid mass to it when it fact it didn't.  I hope that answered your question, if not let me know.  
    • Posted

Wow I just read 15cm and no symptoms how lucky were you thank god 😊😊😊can I ask the ct scan diagnosed a benign tumour and the U.S said solid partly? Mine just said enlarged ovary with heterogenous texture (different things in it)no one mentioned tumour or cyst but it must be one or the other !was your ovary enlarged too ? All is see when heterogenous is mentioned is malignancy but that is from Google.i also suffer heavy prolonged periods but have done for 35 years and I ah be a small sub mucousal fibroid which may cause heavy bleeding too.its all such a worry isn't it .im so glad you and the other lady both had benign findings thanks again Michelle x
    • Posted

My surgeon told me they don't really know if the growth is benign or malignant until the surgery.  He did tell me my odds, he said there was a 25% chance of malignancy due to the size of the growth.  Initial report was benign and two weeks later that was confirmed after further investigation.  My growth was full of mucus like matter, sounds similar to your mucousal fibroid.  Ultra sounds said solid, cat scan did too, however neither was accurate.  My ovary was not enlarged, however it was being suffocated by the growth around it.  Sometimes its not fun being a lady :>)  I wish you all the best and please let us know how you make out.
    • Posted

Of course I will.maybe some cysts growths tumours are either in the ovary or attached to it so it sounds like ? I wonder why they can't diagnose 100% with it only being mucous matter unless some of it goes hard I'm not sure.what a worry being a lady yes 😊my repeat scan is tomorrow I will let you know thank you so much love Michelle xx
    • Posted

Hi,

Sorry, forgot to mention - I'm 31.

My gynae saud to wait 6 weeks until intersperse which I have done but never er mentioned my period. I bled after surgery for about 9 days, heavy for the first 3 days then turned much lighter and for the last few days or so it was just spotting. My period was then due during that time so I assumed it was my period coming early however 28 days from then was the 2nd January (my periods have always been very regular and every 28 days) and still no period? I had sex on the 2nd of January for the first time post op. (sorry for too much info ladies!!!) I've done a cheapy pregnancy test today which I bought from home bargains and it cane up as negative.

Just worried my periods are completely messed up now which is obviously going to have an affect on me trying to conceive.

Xx

• Posted

Excuse the typos!!! Silly phone!
    • Posted

Hello Rhonda just to update you I had repeat TV scan and it showed the ovary with heterogenous texture is slightly smaller and has 3 thick walled cysts in ovary,obviously now I know why it origanally said heterogeneous texture ! but the largest is only 20mmx14mm so quite small.other ovary couldnt be detected.not sure why something about fluid I think.so now have to wait for gyno appt feb 9th !! Hope you're well take care Michelle xx
  • Posted

Hi there, just wondering how you made out with your scans?  I'm sure you will get back to your normal cycle soon :>)

• Posted

Hello Rhonda thankyou for your concern 😊well I had my repeat scan by the time I got there I was a complete nervous wreck as I suffer health anxiety,she wasn't as kind as the first scan lady when I started asking questions,she said I will talk to you after as I need to concentrate,which made me feel worse ! Afterwards she said my ovary looked much the same slightly enlarged with heterogenous texture and bizzarly she couldn't see my other ovary which had two cysts on it in November as there was free fluid around the ovary ?she didn't seem too concerned and said there wasnt anything worrying too much.now I've got a new worry what is this free fluid ,could it be the cysts dissolving or something else ? I have a follow up feb 9th with gyno.have you or anyone reading this know anything about This free fluid.how are you Rhonda ? Take care Michelle xx
    • Posted

Hi Michelle,

I had all fluid in my pelvis too along with all my cysts. When they removed them all during my surgery, I had biopsies taken and all have come back benign and the fluid was never mentioned so it obviously isn't or wasn't ever a concern so please don't panic xx

• Posted

Hi,

All biopsies from my surgery came back benign so I feel incredibly lucky. I have a follow up scan on the 1st Feb just to check all is okay still but I'm sure it will be.

All the issues have been having for so long were all a result of endometriosis - a very bad case too. Managed to save both my ovaries in surgery too hence the new found excitement to begin re trying for a baby.

Still no period ... but all the symptoms and pregnancy tests are negative!

• Posted

Thank you that's a relief to know 😊In novembwrs scan i had no free fluid around ovary just enlarged ovary showing two simple cysts 3.4 cm x 1.7cm and another bit smaller.she wasn't concerned at all about this ovary as they were fluid filled? But wed scan she couldn't see the ovary as it was surrounded by free fluid.im sure she didn't have nivembers scan to compare though so so as the free fluid usually comes from Fallopian tube? But if my cysts had burst I'm hoping this free fluid is the cause hopefully !! I've read inflammation

Infection and cysts rupturing can cause this free fluid.drs at 10.30 not sure if he will have report as I only went 2 pm Wednesday.i thought if cysts burst they cause pain and j haven't had This pain just dull heavy aching down pelvic area.thankyou again Michelle xxx

• Posted

Thank you so much as free fluid is the new thing I'm worrying about lol xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.