6 weeks since I ruptured achilles tendon.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I ruptured my achilles tendon (full rupture) on the 9/6/17. Would like to tell people how I have got on since. After diagnosis I was placed in a cast for 1 week then put into a air boot for 5 weeks.

From day 1 I haven't really suffered any pain only the odd discomfort. 1st week in the boot I didn't put any weight on it at all, from week 2 and taking a wedge out started putting partial weight on it. Week 3 another wedge out full weight bearing but with crutches still no issues. Week 4 last wedge out and fully walking with no crutches,

21/7/17 I have had boot removed had one physio session and walking without boot and crutches, slight discomfort and strange sensations in the foot but that's to be expected. I'm doing exercises at home and I'm really happy how things have gone, only my second day without any aids but I'm feeling very positive. I'm hoping to be on my bike in the next couple of days using a turbo trainer. I'm walking gingerly and with a slight limp, stairs are not a problem either.

Will post more probably weekly to let you know my progress.

My rupture was 8mm and non surgical.

Thanks Daventry.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I tore my Achilles' tendon the day before you. Back slab for a week and then plaster cast. Was advised to see private orthopaedic surgeon as my injury happened at work and am covered by Workcover. I have Achilles tendinitis in both feet and surgeon said the tear would not heal properly without surgery and cleaning up spurs etc. had surgery at 10 days after initial tear. Back slab for 2 weeks and then into plastercast. This is for a month and then will go into moonboot with wedges! A month in moonboot and removing wedges slowly. I'm guessing I'm looking at another 6 weeks before I will get back to work...busy ICU nurse. Guess we all have a different road to travel with this injury! Really missing my water aerobics! 

• Posted

It's amazing how many people suffer with achilles tendon rupture's and how different every individual person is recovering, I have had issues since 2008 on and off but last couple of years I have struggled, in February of this year I had ultrasound guided injections into my achilles and I was pain free for the 1st time for years, one of the risks with it was a full rupture, the consultant basically confirmed this it what had happened.

I am a self employed plasterer and going back to work to soon could result in re rupture, very fine line between doing not enough and to much lol. Hoping to be back at work 6 weeks after taking boot off.

Good luck on your recovery and rehabilitation.

Cheers Dave

• Posted

Hi. I have had thickenning of the achilles for a few years, left is 10.5 mm and right is 8mm, normal is around 5.5 as I'm aware of, many years of football and running marathons lol.

The injections were just in my left ankle (the worse of the 2) and they were more saline solution plus a little steroid, apparently they were to kill off too many red blood cells. Think it's still quite explority but the results were absolutely stunning, from being in agony for a couple of years (6ft plasterer reduced to tears with pain) to not one bit of pain what's so ever within a month of the injections. I had the injections in February of this year.

• Posted

I had cortisone injection many years ago into my other Achilles. I have been on steroids for an auto immune disease and I'm pretty sure the steroids contributed to this tear. Oh well... onwards and upwards!!

• Posted

Wow your recovery sounds like the speediest one I've read! Very encouraging! It's become quite appparent that there are so many different theories and treatment plans. I wish I had your doc! Week 3 for me and I'm now in a wedge moon boot and walking with some weighT bearing and crutches plus rom exercises. At week 5 I remove a Wedge and go to physio, but sounds like moon boot for quite some time still. Guess we see what happens from there. Such a lonnnng process (for some more than others it seems)! Keep us posted how you continue!

• Posted

Good attitude and Great to hear! 

before u know it you'l be back to normal.

• Posted

9 days without boot on.

To be honest I thought I would be walking better, don't get me wrong I can walk ok but got a very slight limp and it goes tight quickly, up hill is better than down. Still no pain just a bit of discomfort now and again. Did my longest walk yesterday about 1 mile and today (Monday 31st july) I have just done 4 mile on my bike with a turbo trainer (indoors) with no ill effects, I put ice on after any activity which takes any swelling down, I'm due to see the physio on Friday 4th August, hopefully he his happy how it's going, my next goal is driving so hopefully that will be ticked off by the weekend, my left foot (clutch) been getting in the car and repeatingly pressing the clutch but I still have some weakness in my calf.

Bye for now and I will post again in the future, good luck to everyone who is in the same situation.

Dave

• Posted

Hi Scotty64

I ruptured my Achilles 28th of june 2017 and i'm 6 week from the injury.

I'm impressed that you are out of the booth at 6 weeks!, Im told not before 8 weeks (7/24), but I take it of at sleep (since 5 weeks) and I walk a lot in the booth with weight!

Though I could walk perfect in the booth, no problems streching with rubberband (booth off). I also could feel the Tendon quite hard. 

I´m into testing walking without the booth like you, did you do it barefoot?

Best regards Peter

• Posted

Sounds like we are at the approximate same timeframe - my rupture date was July 4th. Treatment history for me was 1st 2 weeks cast, then walking boot cast with 3 wedges. Was full weight bearing with the 3 wedges by week 4 (with an "Evenup" foot lifter for other leg to help balance leg length difference). Week 5 (3rd week of walking cast) took out 1st wedge and full weight bearing by day 2. That Evenup thing makes a huge difference. Started some physio this week as well - a few exercises for calf and achilles, but mainly leg strengthening exercises to combat all the atrophy! For 'long' walks, ie. shopping etc, I still use crutches though - faster to get around and don't want to push it too much. I believe by week 8 (week 6 in boot) next wedge comes out and then last wedge soon thereafter and boot off etc. Don't see ortho doc until week 8 post injury so will get confirmation of plan then.

The main thing I have been advised by my physio and have read in many sites is if you push it and go too quickly with removal of wedges, take boot off on the earlier side etc, you are more likely to stretch the achilles too fast making it longer than ideal and much more likely to rerupture. This is my biggest fear! Can't imagine starting all over, and it does happen more often than I thought 😟! I've also read to limit barefoot walking for quite some time even after boot is off! Your doc will know best what's right for your situation though!

Good luck and keep us posted! 

Sharlene

• Posted

Hi Peter,

I'm just into week 10 now, saw the physio on the 4th August, he was happy where I was but I couldn't lift myself up from my toes and couldn't go downstairs one foot after another. He gave me more exercises to do and I have upped the milage on my bike (indoors on a turbo trainer). I managed 40 mile last week in 3 sessions.

The exercises are helping a lot, I'm still limping slightly but the strength is getting better, still can't come downstairs one foot after another but that's my next goal. Still use ice everytime I have been out walking or doing exercises which help a lot.

I was hoping to go back to work sometime in September but the physio doesn't seem to think it's a good idea (I'm a plasterer on building sites) and to be honest it is taking longer than I wanted.

I'm now driving, not been to far as yet, feels ok to press the clutch but just a bit weak in the calf area if I need to control the clutch.

Answering your question about walking, I felt a better wearing running shoes but could walk bear foot but got a bit of discomfort now and again.

Will keep the posts coming if and when there is any change, onwards and upwards Dave

• Posted

Hi sharlene,

Totally agree with what your saying about overdoing things and the risk of re rupture. When I went to the hospital after 6 weeks (1 in cast 5 in boot) it was the hospital who took my crutches away I didn't seem to have an option lol.

The main reason I'm pushing as much as I dare is I'm self employed and don't get any wage or sick pay, my wife works part time and we are using our savings so we can't go on forever I'm afraid, if I re rupture it's plan b,c,d or e.

I don't normally follow forums or use the Internet much to be honest but the reason I decided to tell my experience is that there is not enough positive things out there about a ruptured achilles, everything was all doom and gloom. My main battle has been in my head, good days and bad.

Work wise I'll go as soon as I'm physically able to (I'm a plasterer on building sites and not easy).

See the physio again on the 23/8 so see how we go, keep up your recovery and good luck.

Dave

• Posted

Hi Sharlene!

Today is it exacly 8 weeks since the rupture. I started without the boot carefully at home for a week ago. Today my calf is responding (80%), I walk with little limp, when I met the physioterapy, who noticed that I have started a little bit earlier (that could be different from case to case, but I felt my tender had healed good).

Since the strength is very low (there is no way of lifting you body on that leg), it feel stiff to lean forward. The right exercise is so important. I asked if it is possible to re-rupture just by walking straight, and the answer I got was "No", which made me happy. Just by walking today for 30 min, I feel little little better. I got very inspired of Brady Brown that have posted 5-6 videos on Youtube, and since I have felt that we both are in the same helping progress, I have copied lots of his actions.

Best Regards, Peter

• Posted

Sounds great Peppe!! I'm 8 weeks next week! Hoping but also nervous to see if doc says I can take the boot off! Unfortunately I will be seeing a substitute doc at the hospital so don't know if he will actually advise anything (my doc suddenly cancelled - hmmph!). I took out the last wedge the other day - good to be a closer leg length but the boot almost hurts more on lower heel to walk - like bumping against it or something.

So what exercises are you now doing sans boot?! I will check those Brady Browne vids out - thanks!

• Posted

Oh I see your name is Peter! Keep me/us updated! It's nice to compare to someone whose at the approximate same time frame!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.