6 weeks since I ruptured achilles tendon.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I ruptured my achilles tendon (full rupture) on the 9/6/17. Would like to tell people how I have got on since. After diagnosis I was placed in a cast for 1 week then put into a air boot for 5 weeks.

From day 1 I haven't really suffered any pain only the odd discomfort. 1st week in the boot I didn't put any weight on it at all, from week 2 and taking a wedge out started putting partial weight on it. Week 3 another wedge out full weight bearing but with crutches still no issues. Week 4 last wedge out and fully walking with no crutches,

21/7/17 I have had boot removed had one physio session and walking without boot and crutches, slight discomfort and strange sensations in the foot but that's to be expected. I'm doing exercises at home and I'm really happy how things have gone, only my second day without any aids but I'm feeling very positive. I'm hoping to be on my bike in the next couple of days using a turbo trainer. I'm walking gingerly and with a slight limp, stairs are not a problem either.

Will post more probably weekly to let you know my progress.

My rupture was 8mm and non surgical.

Thanks Daventry.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Wow sounds great! Looking forward to being at that point - especially being able to drive - for me that just adds to torture of this injury and the dependency (and $$ for transporation expences)!

I totally agree with the icing! Also what exercises have you been doing - if they are easy to describe that is? Also did you bike at all in the past weeks? My physio has said I probably could do some indoor biking with the boot on. Want to somehow get the heartrate/cardio going - at least a bit, but wondering about tension and if others did biking.

Good luck and continune to keep us posted!

• Posted

Hi sharlene,

The new exercises I do, I'm standing at my worktop (countertop) using my arms to help me onto my tip toes then slowly with weight on my toes and slightly still using my arms so I'm not putting my full weight on my feet, slowly go down so my feet are flat to the ground, I do 3 reps of 10 and in between I do another exercise.

This time with both hands on the worktop an my feet further away and my bad leg further away I lean forwards as though I'm trying to shove the kitchen worktop (so I'm leaning forwards and my weight is more on my front foot (good leg) . This exercise really puts tension on the achilles so I'm careful of that one.

I'm still doing the stretches with a towel my physio told me to use a towel rather than the elastic.

My second week out of the boot I got the bike out. I did a 4mile the 5 then went to 12mile.

Last week I did 11 a 12 and a 15 and just done 14 mile this morning, it feels good today. After I cycle I fill the bath with cold water just over my legs and get into that, it helps with lactic acid and muscle repair.

Hope that helps you in some way😀

Dave

• Posted

Hi guys,

Some cracking stories, I'm a 22 year old male who's played football professionally up untill the age of 19, thankfully never had any proper injuries or ops. I went on to enjoy life abit & put on abit of timber as you do 😂, Now 16 stone the heaviest I've been.

I was persuaded by my neighbour with some swift negotiations over the back garden fence to play in a game on the 27th July for a local he manages, I been in the gym on & off for couple months so thought the run out would help in my target to cut down abit.

Ended up partially tearing my achiles tendon in my left leg, I was told it was a small tear & being young the operation procedure would probably be best. Prior to the op I was in a cast for 10 days on the anti inmflamtory tablets & injections to reduce risk of blood clots.

I Underwent surgery on the 8th August (1week today) I stopped taking the pains killers 3/4 days post up as I'm in no real discomfort or sense of pain surprisingly, I have an appointment on the 23rd (2 weeks post op) to go back to the Hospital, and was wondering if anyone knew what the next steps might be as I'm now a sports consultant managing professionals, running round to watch games so really keen to get back on my feet!

Any replies/help much appreciated 😊!

• Posted

Not posted for a while, joined a ruptured achilles heel group on Facebook, check it out👍

Starting week 12.

Im getting better each week, was told by my pt that if I can do light duties at work I can go back so on the Monday 4th sept I'm going for my 1st day back.

I'm still walking with a slight limp and still can't go downstairs one foot after the other yet but it's getting better. I'm doing up 20+ miles now on the bike with turbo trainer every other day, still hesitant go on the roads just in case I have to stop quickly and put my foot down.

If I do to much as I did yesterday it lets me know and it really tightens up, exercises and ice are your friend.

Doing more exercises now and doing more reps of the one's I was doing.

I have been doing balance exercises on one leg (the injured one) throwing a ball at a wall and catching it at different angles and positions which is helping with the strength.

I'm a bit cautious of going back to work but also happy as it's another positive gain towards getting back to normal, I'll let you all know how I get on.

Check the Facebook site out guys some good questions and answers.

Good luck everyone

Dave

• Posted

My Achilles surgery was 2.6.18. I was in a splint 10 days, until 2.26.18. Now I'm in a boot for 4 weeks, non-weightbearing. It was very painful the first 18 hours or so, then much less so. Now my pain is occasionally a 1 on a 1 to 10 scale. I'm very please with results so far. If you live in Indianapolis, go to Dr. Mike Carroll at the Southside Foot Clinic.

• Posted

Typo: in splint until 2.16.18, not 26.
  • Posted

Hi,

I ruptured my Achilles 27/6/18.  I live in the UK i am 32 years old.  I was put into a full leg cast for a week.  My scan showed I had a 73mm gap and I have gone for non sergury as I have read both results are similar except re-rupture % chance.

I then was put into an ankle boot which I believe is wrong for 2 weeks then on my 2nd visit to to surgeon he put me into full leg boot.  I was a bit annoyed about this as I don’t want my injury to heal wrong.  

It’s clear that everyone’s case is different I have been full weight bearing with 5 wedges since week 2 and have been able to walk about easily in my boot.  I was told to weight bare if it’s comfortable.  They have told me to keep 5 wedges in for 6 weeks then remove a wedge week by week.   I haven’t even begun Physio yet.  I’m currently in my 4th week of recovery.

It’s nice to read other peoples views but I am taking this process as slowly as possible as a friend did this and rushed out of the boot and his Achilles re-ruptured I couldn’t imagine going through all this again.

Hope everyone recovers well.  

• Posted

My Achilles didn't rupture, but I couldn't walk more than 1 city block without pain. So, I had the surgery Feb. 6. Finally off the crutches after 4 months. I'm able to walk normally, but still have some pain going up stairs. I have maxed out the # of therapy visits my insurance will cover, so we'll see how things go from here. My best wishes to you, Danny.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.