60 yr old TLHR on Tuesdy next week...

Posted , 12 users are following.

I've been doing alot of internet research related to this surgery.  I am very concerned about my up coming surgery. This forum has given me some encourgement and also some fears (people with their complications).  My problem started on Halloween of 2016, as I was out with my grandchildren and suddenly was having as issue walking forward.  I went and got all the tests done and it was determined that I had a weight bearing problem with my left hip. I was very active ( walking 5 miles on Sundays, exercising daily on my Versaclimber and just getting a good sweat on) but now it pains me to even mow the lawn or go to the bathroom.  Now I'm beginning to feel pain in my knees and back.  I am reluctent to get the surgery but hope that it will allow me to get back to my active life.  And I am hoping that the pain in my left knee is caused by my left hip instead of it being a problem.  This is my story and I hope to share with you my recovery

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Bef. I had TRHR yesterday after 18 months of pain . Today I'm sore obviously but back and knee pains have gone,

this could of course be partly due to anaesthetic but time will tell.

i was so very very nervous, I don't know how I got to hospital but hopefully each day will see me getting stronger and getting my life back on track.x

• Posted

Yes I am pretty nervous but know that I shouldn't prolong this agony...hope you have a smooth recover...

• Posted

Could not see anything in your profile!

It is perfectly normal to be apprehensive about any surgery and hip replacement is a biggie. If you need it then the sooner it's done the sooner you can mend up and get on with your life so concentre on the benefits. Make sure you are well organised.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

What profile are you speaking of?? I agree the sooner the better...just not sure what to expect...
    • Posted

My orthopedic surgeon is head of the orthopedic unit. They have a 2 hour pre op teaching class. Do you have anything like this? Vickie
    • Posted

No but I've watched a youtube video of the anterior surgery...

• Posted

Pre op classes are so helpful. Let's us know what to expect...before & after surgety. There's lots of info on the Internet about it though...HTH Vickie

• Posted

All members have the facility to give other members some background about them which can be very useful. Just click the logo to the left of your posting name at the top of every posting. If you click my name you will find out where I live etc. etc.

This is where if you click on your name you can detail what you are happy for members to read about you. I just feel that it makes for a more meaningful dialogue between members.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Yes Vickie it is great idea. I live in Australia and I have about 2 and half hours pre operation teaching class and how is op done.

What to follow after hip replecement and also about physio after hip replecement.

Hug Madla

• Posted

That's wonderful. It really helps knowing what to expect. Have a great day ?

• Posted

We are all different. If someone reads my experiences they would be scared badly BUT...I'm NOT the norm. I had Legg Calves Perthes disease as a child. Back 20 years ago a difference in leg length was quite common after hip replacement. Fast forward to 2016. Things have come a long way! Due to the leg length difference I had to under go a leg lenghting procedure on my opposite hip that required 4 years to heal. All that left me with a shepherd's crook of my hip and thus required hip replacement when the hip joint was grinding bone on bone requiring 2 revisions. Its been a really difficult road for me. I'm now 4 months out and working to strengthen my hip muscles. Using my Nordic Walkers & bouncing on my Bellicon.

Most ppl undergo THR, go through rehab and are back to living their lives pain free.

Don't compare yourself to others. Decide the pain is not tolerable and is affecting your quality of life. Go foward with a positive frame of mind. The majority of hip patients don't have complications.

Wishing you the best. God bless.💙

Vickie

• Posted

Good posting Vickie. I hope most people will appreciate what you have written and realise that there are as wide a range of outcomes as there are different people. All we can do is put forward our individual stories and have a positive outlook like you.

All the best

Richard

• Posted

I am trying to stay positive...thank for your encouragement...
    • Posted

Dear Vickie

Really.....you are very generous!

Many thanks for your kind words

Richard

• Posted

Dear Vickie

Glad that that they are still working for you!

Cheers Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.