60 yr old TLHR on Tuesdy next week...

Posted , 12 users are following.

I've been doing alot of internet research related to this surgery.  I am very concerned about my up coming surgery. This forum has given me some encourgement and also some fears (people with their complications).  My problem started on Halloween of 2016, as I was out with my grandchildren and suddenly was having as issue walking forward.  I went and got all the tests done and it was determined that I had a weight bearing problem with my left hip. I was very active ( walking 5 miles on Sundays, exercising daily on my Versaclimber and just getting a good sweat on) but now it pains me to even mow the lawn or go to the bathroom.  Now I'm beginning to feel pain in my knees and back.  I am reluctent to get the surgery but hope that it will allow me to get back to my active life.  And I am hoping that the pain in my left knee is caused by my left hip instead of it being a problem.  This is my story and I hope to share with you my recovery

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Bef

I had considerable pain in my knee and back and this was called referred pain. Once I had THR this pain disappeared.  Absolutely fantastic.  I woke up and could not beleive that my knee was no longer on fire and my back felt great.  Of course there was pain from surgery but this phased out as I progressed.

All the best.

• Posted

That good to hear...I'm hoping for the same result...

• Posted

dear bef, 

warm welcome to this hippies forum -

absolutely share your recovery and everything leading up to your surgery with us here ... it is so helpful to all of us ..

no better friends to have that understand and support you - 

are you getting posterior or anterior approach ?

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

anterior...I'm also requesting that I keep my femoral head bone...after all it's mine right...

• Posted

Hello BEF,

I am having a TLHR on Tuesday too I'll be in at 7am for it and it's my very first surgery for anything, I feel pretty much the same as you.

My problem is weight bearing pain with arthritis setting in, I have a lot of pain in my lower back and groin pain if I walk too far I get painful feet too, so like you I'm hoping all the pain I feel is relieved from this op.

I'm wishing you the very best of luck with your operation and recovery and being back to your very best.

Take Care Lulu

• Posted

Hey lulu75,

?I'm also having my left hip done and it will be at 0730...I've had one previous surgery ( torn left bicep distal tendon)...I also wish you luck and hope that you are releived of all your aches...

• Posted

Hi Bef you certainly will get back to your old life but may need to do some things differently. I was back in the gym after 3 months.Only thing not allowed to do is rowing machine. Lots get back earlier. I wanted to make sure I was out of the danger period. For disclocation. I had posterior. I am 21 months post RTHR. My knee and groin pain disappeared as soon as I had the op. Still get odd flare ups of inflamation if I overdo it and had an infection one day post op which was sorted out with IV antibs and nerve damage which resolved after 12 months. Mowed my 80ft lawn last night. Dont worry about the op. It will be liberating. Good luck x
    • Posted

Thanks auntiebeanie...it will difficult staying away from exercise but knowing that I will be back to my previous routine in a few months will keep me going...
  • Posted

My surgery went well...currently no pain due to epidural. ..but am anticipating some later...surgery took 2 1/2 hours...have about a 7 inch incision...pt had me stand and shuffle about 2 feet sideways and gave me 3 exercises...ankle pumps, quad sqeezes and glute sqeezes...10 each...more to come. ..
    • Posted

Glad it went well, good luck with your physio, and take all your pain meds. All the best, Judith
    • Posted

I was discharged from the hospital today after completing the pt routine of walking around the hall and proving I could step up/down a short step...there swelling at the incision but the doc said the blood would absorb into the leg... outpatient pt starts Friday...

• Posted

Hi, I am also 60 yr old and just had LHR.  I understand your anxiety but I think will be happy when you are on "the other side". I have always been really active, tennis 4 x a week, running, spin, Pilates, and long walks . I came to a complete halt in March- just too much pain.  I am so glad I am walking now w no pain.  I walked about one mile today.  In about two weeks I expect the Dr. to release me so I can swim and go to exercise classes again.  I should be playing tennis again in two months.  Hurry up and  find a good surgeon.  And try and find a surgeon who uses the anterior method, much easier recovery.

• Posted

Hi Bef,

Glad your surgery went so well mine did too,I came home two hours ago I feel a bit fragile but hey it's two day post op! Good Luck with your recovery smile

• Posted

Glad to be home. ..leg is sore/swollen but doc says it's normal. ..I figure the first couple weeks is the worst. ..start pt tomorrow...best of luck

• Posted

I also had to have left hip surgery. I am 59 years old. All I can say is this. DO IT. Like you, I used to jog, then started walking and biking. Biking didnt hurt me but walking did. It steadily got worse until the pain went down my entire left leg. It hurt even while lying in bed! So I braved it.

At the hospital they give you a medicine to relax you. That really helps. After that they hooked me to an IV, and then wheeled me to the surgery room. They said "you might feel this" (must have been joking) and next thing I knew I was waking up in my room with my family looking at me. I almost couldnt believe it even happened! Because I am overweight, they had to make a long incision almost front tp back.

Do everything they say and you wont go wrong. The worst ppart of this was I had to lie on my back when sleeping, which I rarely do otherwise. I used a inflatable bed folded in half to rest my legs on at night (and elevate) and that helps. I had to take Oxycodone as a pain killer. WARNING. It does cause severe constipation! I didnt have a bowl movement for over a week. So I called them and they said to mix prune juice and Phillips milk of magnsiia. The medicine they gave me for constipation did not work, but this sure did. Dont wait a week to do it like I did, because it is horrible pain when it does finally move out! First sign of constipation after surgery drink the mixture-it will save alot of pain!

Do your therapy. Everytime I went to therapy the next day I was able to move more. Its amazing. Started out on a walker for the first month, then to a cane for about 3 weeks. Your new hip will tell you when its been worked out alot, you will feel stiffness in your hip area and feel like its swollen. Thats when you put ice on it. Also dont be intimated when you remove the bandages after one week. My incision was purple and bruised. It will go away as long as you keep it clean.

Pain? After surgery there was no pain. None. The meds will help that the first month. you wont feel it. I am so relieved I no longer suffer the pain I did before surgery. There was some pain in therapy when they would stretch me but that goes away as you keep going.

About two months later I got on my bike, and felt like a kid again! I rode with no pain and realized not only did I have the pain before, but my worn hip was "loose" while pedalling. With the new hip there is more of a solid movement.

I am now walking over a mile at a time, and was just released to go back to work June 21st (operation was on April 24th). I feel like a new man! I still cant bend past 90 degrees for 1 more month. But Im telling you, it was totally WORTH IT. Dont be scared, do it! Do everything they say, keep the incision clean and you shouldnt get an infection.

As far as pain?

• Posted

Hi Darrell, I'm having my left hip replaced on the 11th followed by my right one 3 months later, I'm 3 stone overweight and noticed you said you were did it hamper your recovery any Darrell. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.