60 yr old TLHR on Tuesdy next week...

Posted , 12 users are following.

I've been doing alot of internet research related to this surgery.  I am very concerned about my up coming surgery. This forum has given me some encourgement and also some fears (people with their complications).  My problem started on Halloween of 2016, as I was out with my grandchildren and suddenly was having as issue walking forward.  I went and got all the tests done and it was determined that I had a weight bearing problem with my left hip. I was very active ( walking 5 miles on Sundays, exercising daily on my Versaclimber and just getting a good sweat on) but now it pains me to even mow the lawn or go to the bathroom.  Now I'm beginning to feel pain in my knees and back.  I am reluctent to get the surgery but hope that it will allow me to get back to my active life.  And I am hoping that the pain in my left knee is caused by my left hip instead of it being a problem.  This is my story and I hope to share with you my recovery

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I am 62 , going in for second hip replacement tonight. Have had to go private unfortunately this time as can't wait 22 months !!!!

just hope this one goes as well as the last ? 

As you my knee is painful . Consultant said it's due to hip. Hope he's right cause I can't pay for that as well !!

op tomorrow July 1st. Will keep you posted. Good luck

• Posted

Dear Mary

Best of luck with the hip revision. My original one lasted me for twenty hard years

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Today marks the 7th day since my surgery. I'm almost ready to switch from my walker to my cane. Recovery has been coming along smoothly. I've had 2 visits to the pt; they rotate/stretch the joint and have me do strength exercises. Main issues of course is sleeping restricted to my back (still can't rotate to either hip) and constipation due opioid medication. I still feel an ache in the operated leg, up by the implant but I'm sure that will subside. I will post after the next 7 days... happy healing

• Posted

Great stuff, we'll done, now just go steady and try not to push yourself too hard as I think I have and taken a little step backwards!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Yes, sleeping on your back...hated it! All the best.
  • Posted

Hi Bef'

I'm 7days post op too, I opted for crutches instead of sticks as I feel safer and I can make the most of my upper body strength.

Sleeping is a nightmare my heels and back hurt, I've managed to sleep through 2 nights without waking but that's probably from exhaustion!

It sounds as though you are doing great, the weeks will soon fly by, I hope your recovery continues to go smoothly.

Take Care Lulu.

• Posted

Sounds like you are recovering well.  Congrats.  I just got relaeased to sleep on my stomach at 5.5 weeks   Hooray!! Slept like a baby last night, no extra pain on the incision.  
  • Posted

Today marks my 2 weeks postop.  I feel as if I am improving everyday. I stopped using the opiods at day 8 so I'm happy to say no more constipation.  I'm using a cane where ever I go but sometimes I find my self walking without it and quickly locate it, as I do not wants to have any set backs. My sleep has improved to 6 -7 hours, it's still a little restless, but I'm able roll onto my sides for short periods.  My incision is healing well except where the crease is at the top of the thigh and groin area; the wound hasn't heal well there.  The doc says it normal and to just keep it clean. I beleive that PT is a great asset as the therapist stretches the joint and assigns exercises that target the muscles for strengthening. The pathologist wouldn't let me have the bone they removed during the surgery, but was kind enough to let me see and take pictures of it.  I could see, by the damage to the bone, that I truly needed this operation.  I'm taking everything one day at a time and am hoping for the best.  Happy Healing...

• Posted

Well done you! Onwards and upwards.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Thanks Richard...I'm still gaining confidence of putting weight on my leg...I look forward to being cane free...

• Posted

I'm sure that you will get there sooner than you think! My transition from uncertain walking without aids to really confident walking happened after I took it more gently for two or three days. Then the next time I ventured out there was no holding me back and feeling that independence was simply fantastic. Yesterday for example I walked about three miles and today my morning walk was over two miles without a break.

Take care

Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.