6wk check after FKR- now a MUA in 10 days time!

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have attended my 6 week check at the ROH, Birmingham UK.  We were told that the clinic was running 2hrs 20mins late and we could rebook - I did for 24/6/2015.  Wanted a quick word with the nurse about accessing physio to help with my bend and was told to phone consultants secretary - this was overheard by consultant who called me in.   He took a look at my knee and said that I needed a MUA!  Wasnt I lucky he had overheard the conversation because there is only a 2week window for this op after that my leg would be permanently as it is now.

I feel so down but am becoming determined that I can't get stuck like this.  As he said this is my last chance to get my leg/knee right.  I've come home and exercising to strengthen my muscles.   Bought a dyna band and cryio-therapy machine from ebay and looking at CPM hire!   Is there anything else I can do?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The CPM machine are great, I was on one for 48 hours after having my ACL removed, Manipulation done freeing my captured knee, my private physio that I've started with has one there it was amazing!! Before my surgery my leg was stuck between 30 straight and 70 bend, it is now at 5 straight and on the CPM went to 122 bend.

Sending positive thoughts, I know how you feel before my last surgery I thought I would be like that for the rest of my life, as I had one previous op a month beforehand, and was still the same as before the op.

Good luck x

• Posted

Smack the consultant up side the head and ask for a 2nd opinion. Personally, I just think a lot of these people are so into mua that they won't give hard work and nature a chance to take over. After my last go round last year.....knee removed for 4 months and hobbling around on a walker with spacer in place and immobilized then the 33rd prosthesis installed, another month of immobilization, then off to therapy by mid July. In early Feb the surgeon told me here be ecstatic with 110 and I'm now at 117. Keep on working and see if they will give you a little more time
  • Posted

I am inclined to agree this seems a rushed decision. I would ask for a second opinion. Talk to your physio. Im 13 wks post op and struggled with my bend i did lots of lunges and bending exercises to improve it. I bought a £23 mobility aid peddler from amazon. My bend got to 90% only 2 wks ago and then this wk with lots of daily hardwork iv got it to 95%!!! Which i except! Have a good think and talk to physio and dr! If you decide to have mua then good for you but it is your leg and your decision! Its worth the effort of exercise. I am pleased with mine! Good luck
  • Posted

Thank you for your information.  

a.  I havent got time for a 2nd opinion the op is in 10 days - 5 working days - (less the weekends and today)

b. what happens if I loose the window of opportunity they talk about i.e.the 6 - 8 wk period - I am in week 6 on monday 16/5

c.   I haven't got a physiotherapist.  Didnt have any therapy since leaving hospital

Thank you for thinking aboout why I should not have this op.  but not much choice or time.

• Posted

Thats a shame you didnt have any physio! We get 6 sessions in the midlands on the nhs i feel lucky now! My bend was def not very good at your stage but saw my surgeon at 10 wks so it would of been to late by then! It really amazes me how it is so different in different places and areas!

Good luck with your op!

• Posted

Hi Debbie

I am in Birmingham West Midlands so not too far away.   I am very very amazed at the differences in service.   Which hospital are you under?

• Posted

I had my op at st cross in Rugby but coventry nhs trust is the same! Gosh you are so near cant believe it!
  • Posted

Can get you down all this pain..but gladdens you when you read positive things on here.nice we can all support each other.x
    • Posted

Agreed Hilary - this is one of the most supportive groups every.   It has given me loads of info and positivity.

Hope things are going well for you

• Posted

Well I am very nervous about the op n the thought of all the pain again but I have to get mobile again.i am currently living the life of someone twenty yrs older n just hobbling a few yards!

Hopefully this will turn things around for me..helps when you can share things eh!! Thanks for reply n support...keep you posted.

• Posted

Hilary - please dont feel down.   I fully feel my age now - 61 - and have never every done so before.   I dont think we get enough information and keep patients in the dark too much.    I met some patients yesterday who had their op on the same day as me and they had not taken pain killers since 2 weeks post op.

Good luck and stay on here its a lifeline!

• Posted

Hi Lynn

Sorry to hear about all your troubles with your knee .

Just keep moving my PT told me to use the pedal bike 3x day and do steps I also ice my knee quite a lot

Some of us are more prone to scar tissue formation then others just keep on massaging the scar on opposite directions with cream

Have a speedy recovery

Maria

• Posted

Hi Maria

Have just bid for a static bike on Ebay and intend to be on that in a few weeks time!   I love the massage that I do - it has an instant impact on how my leg feels.

Good luck to you

• Posted

Seems a bit premature to me. But I had an MUA on my shoulder a few years ago and it was amazing. My knee was bad for a long time but no suggestion of an MUA and now its pretty good (15 months) and I can do everything I could not do before the operation but could do when I was younger. So I am a happy bunny now - at least until the next knee has to be done. Good luck - lets us know how it goes. Amazed you didnt have physio as its most essential and make sure you have it after the MUA or its pointless. 
    • Posted

You are right Caroline the physio is essential.   I feel really positive today and plan to take more control over my recovery.   I have been in touch with a private physio and am just looking at my budget to see how I get this.

Best wishes

• Posted

In the US there is now a huge push to get people off pain meds and as a substitute incorporate more intensive physical therapy. Its all well and good except for one little hitch..........the insurance companies will only pay for very limited number of sessions and a small percentage of those fees. Those of us on Medicare (insurance for seniors) get a little better deal but if you have any complications that require long term arrangements it can ruin you. I discussed this at coffee with one of my congressman recently and the guy looked at me like i had 2 heads and was talking out of my rear end. You talk about decision makers being out of touch with reality. Same old story ....unfunded mandates. The conversation came to a rather abrupt ending when I asked him what color a red horse was and he said he would have a committee address the question.
    • Posted

I am in the UK and as you are aware we get the NHS.   I watch with interest medical events in the US and find issues like this scary (understatement or what!)

I foster children and have what would be considered a low income so it is essential that people in my position fully get what we are entitled to and not be governed by a post code lottery.

Interestingly Debbie171066 who lives in the same area has had 6 sessions.  

I wont go away - I now belong to consultative group for the hospital where I had my op so I intend to use my voice - I will get my physio sessions.   Why have the NHS spent £12,000+ on my op if there is no support?   I cant be the only one?

• Posted

We get good health care as a rule and no long delays for xrays, mris and other diagnostic exams but physical therapy, occupational therapy and the like have guidelines that are hard to maintain. The issue I wascrelating to is that the center for disease control is all of a sudden becoming very concerned about opiate addition, Which is a noble concern, but they want to set up prevention on the turn of a dime. On the other hand, I called yesterday to set up another steroid injection for my back and I can get it week after next. Could actually had it next week but we are having company and as I do all of the meal preperation, didn't want to be slows down. I had cataract surgery this year and ad to wait 3 weeks on the 1st one and was able to schedule the 2nd one the week after my final checkup on the 1st. Generally speaking, no one has to wait more than 6 weeks for tor unless an extenuating medical ituation such as infection. When I hear people talking about needing treatment for level 10 pain and not being able tO get it handled till christmas like someone did yesterday, I consider that inhumane. Cost is another concern. Cancer and heart problems can get expensive and seeing Dr's more than 2x's a year for neurobiological issues like Parkinson's and ms is normal. I have had billing costs of over 1 million dollars on my leg with the tumor and andd all the surgeries and radiation and an educated guess of about $250 in pharmacy co pays is all I have had to cover out of pocket. This over 13 years. My wife has been taking $1000's in medicine for Parkinson's and 100's of thousands in Dr's bills and Out of pocket. Is less than a $1000 over nearly 8 years including 2 weeks at Mayos clinic. So I guess it's just the way it appears I'm the media as to rsality
    • Posted

Here in the S Midlands (UK) things have reached such a pass that we have NO physio once discharged from hospital !!! It's just unbelievable frown

I personally did get to see a physios this week, but only because I volunteered to take part in a research programme. The physio doesn't actually touch the patient, though....she comes up with a programme of exercises that you do yourself, and that are monitored a handful of times by a rehab assistant. Again, they don't actually touch you, they just report back...

I could and have weep with the frustration of it all. It's all down to us, really, to do our best and support each other.

Well done Lynn for getting your voice heard !!!!

• Posted

That's what I did in the end and even now 15 months on I go every 6 weeks for deep tissue massage. Last week my bend improved 22 degrees in an hour! She told me our knees are like cars - we have to take them in for regular services and MOTs and even repairs - that really helped me cope with the furstration at those time when the engine needs oiling - also had 'cupping' which was brilliant. Just had a break and walked for longer than ever before - and OMG it did not swell up (in car speak - overheat -  but was a bit tired - running out of petrol - Keep going - the MUA is again just another repair but its an ongoing process 

• Posted

Hello - I am horrified - how can this be a good thing.   Major op and r*esults required intensive physio but no support.   DIY or what?

Sorry but I too find this whole situation makes me frustrated and angry.

There must be something else that can be done?   I am happy to support and help inform anyone who goes through this op and what can be a traumatic time afterwards......but?

/*

• Posted

Hi Caroline - had a frustration rant a few minutes ago but all over now!   what caught my eye is your mention of a 'deep tissue massage' - is it a physiotherapist that gives you this?  Or alternative therapist?

What is the 'cupping' you mention?

What you have been told makes complete sense and I will try to bear this in mind.

regards

Lynn

• Posted

Yep, enter private physio for me !!! But I shouldn't have to make the decision, or pay for it, unless I want something over and above the essential.

What's confusing me now, is that I no longer know what is essential, given the wide range of physio received ( or not) by various oatient's.

The whole thing is a disgrace. There should be minimum standards that are adhered to in every area.

• Posted

It is a physiotherapist that does the massgae - its really painful, She said my calves were very tight and my quads and that was causing the stiffness. the cupping was on and around the scar - you can read about it on the net. I've had 2 sessions now - the second one felt deep. The scar has completely changed for the better and lost its sensitivity. They use this cupping on athletes a lot - lucky for me she works with footballers and runners. Its like a sports physio session to heat the muscles - I found her at the gym where I was really struggling! 

Cupping therapy is an alternative approach not sure if its related to acupuncture. I was very sceptic but prepared to try anything. Now I'm so happy I could cry. After whats been almost 2 years of hell - keyhole then TKR and issues ever since. I paid £65.00 an hour and go every 4 weeks - have given up my takeaways to pay for it and lost almost a stone! Thats really helped as well. It's early days for some of you but if you get long term stifness and discomfort in spite of doing everything right then need to look for creative solutions. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.