7.5mgs of mirtazapine

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have just started taking mirtazapine 7.5mg my gp started me on a low dose and in a weeks time I will increase to 15mg. So far I feel very tired. I just can't wait to feel normal again and for the lowness to leave me. Can anyone offer me any advice ? 

0 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Teresa,

How long have you been on the 7.5?

• Posted

Only a few days , it worries me as it really knocks me out at night. I am hoping in a few days I will get used to it and I won't feel quite so "drugged up" and I will start to feel a bit better. Is 15 mg a more realistic dose? 
  • Posted

I presume you have just started taking mirtazapine. I was very tired when I first started as I wasn't' sleeping wel beforehsnd. My GP started me on 15 MG's and within about 3 weeks I found I was getting a more natural sleep and providing I occupied my time during the day I wasn't as tired. If I don't have anything planned to do I will sleep for most of the day. My mood has lifted, I just need to be more positive and try changing negative thoughts.
    • Posted

Sorry I should have said I hope this helps teresa
    • Posted

Thank you for your support and advice I am hoping to start to feel better soon. It took a lot of courage for me to start the anti depressant 
    • Posted

Teresa You are more than welcome, we have to be patient and give the medication chance to take effect. Unfortunately it doesn't' happen overnight try to be patient.

I am keeping a diary and fortunately I feel I have a good GP who is listening to me and since starting on mirt  has recommended that I see him in on a monthly basis. Are you seeing your GP regularly for reviews? Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

She was really nice to me and has referred me to talking therapy. I can't really blame this depression on any one thing other than I feel it's a chemical imbalance. Therefore,the pills should help. That's my understanding of it anyway. I am seeing her again next week and I will ask her if I can see her monthly. How long have you been taking mirtazapine ? Are you still ok on 15 mg ? 
    • Posted

Sorry to say my GP has taken me off mirtaxapine yesterday (after 8 weeks) because the side effects were getting worse. I didn't ask to come off but when I told him the feet and legs were still swollen and I had quite a lot of muscle ache which didn't start till after about 4 weeks he decided to try Venlafaxine and see him again in 1 month. My mood and anxiety were a lot better since starting Mirtazapine.

Hope you are doing OK on the drug, don't let my experience put you off because I didn't findthe side effects unbearable and was glad to get rid of the anxiety. 

• Posted

Hello there I've just joined this site for help. I have been taking 7.5mg Mirtazapine for about a month now. At first I was happy to be sleeping. However lately that's all I want to do I feel so tired all the time depressed. I don't think they are helping and I will stop taking them and try to be stronger.
    • Posted

I took 7.5mgs for one week and increased it to 15mgs 5 nights ago. I think it's a better dose as that's the official starting dose from what I have read. Since increasing it I don't feel so tired as I did on 7.5mg all anti depressants take 2-6 weeks to help. I am not sure what to advise you but I fear if you just stop taking it you will feel worse. 
  • Posted

I've been on it for coming up to 9 weeks.

1 week on 15mg

4 week on 30mg

4week on 45mg

I found the lower dose more sedating but that was ideal when I first started as I wasn't sleeping and my anxiety was off the scale.

With each increase I've found that they become less sedating and after a few days of increase the side effects diminish.

It hasn't altered my sleep either..I've managed to sleep well on every dose.

My anxiety has almost gone but depression still lingers for now. It also hasn't given me the munchies or made me gain weight yet as most people report.

Give it a little time chick. It will settle and once you up your dose,I'm sure you will find it very beneficial xx

• Posted

Thanks Gillian, I am hoping to leave this beast behind. I was reluctant to start on anti depressants but have finally given in so I am waiting for each morning to feel like a new woman or at least my old self again. I have only been on them a few days 
  • Posted

Teresa, I had been on 45mg for 6 years. They were causing me to feel like I had a hangover when I woke in the morning, and my wife said that she thought a truck could drive through our bedroom and I wouldn't wake up. I asked my GP about getting off the drug, and he wasn't the one who had put me on them. Long story short, I am now on 7.5, sleeping well, and not bummed out. My advice is to give yourself time to adjust to each dose, and stay on the lowest dose that works for you. There may come a time when you want to get off them, and the more you are taking, the harder it will be. I guess I'm just saying don't trade one bad situation for another. Good luck with whatever you do. I sincerely hope that you get well soon. David
    • Posted

Thanks David and for offering me your advice. I was wondering what was in the drug that causes night sedation ? 
  • Posted

Hi Theresa, the reason it makes you so drowsy is that it hits the H1 recepter really hard. This is how otc sleep meds work. In fact mirtazapine is stronger than Nytol! This H1 maxes out at around 15mg so anything over that should NOT make you more drowsy but will still increase the stuff you need like serotonin and norepinephrine which is nor adrenaline in plain English. The theory is that with the increases in norepinephrine it should give some stimulation to contaract the drowsiness. But I have heard mixed results. For me after 2 weeks I still cannot take 15mg and hope to be any use at work. But no other side effects except sedation. I can't call it drowsiness cos it is beyond that for me.
    • Posted

Hi Tony, thanks for that information about why I am so drowsy. You explained it very well. In your opinion would I be better to increase to 15mgs. My GP said to increase after one week and I have taken 7.5 mgs for 6 days now. I am still feeling low but the heavy head feeling is getting me down. I am able to go about my daily tasks but feel so tired! Do you take 15mgs ? And how long have you been taking them? I am new to this forum and new to depression so trying to get as much help as I can to feel better. Would appreciate any help you can offer 
    • Posted

I started on 7.5 for a week then went up to 15 for a week but that made me more drowsy. Others don't find 15mg any worse than 7.5 so try it and see. One thing I did find was taking it as early in the evening as possible helped reduce the next day sleepiness. I take mine at 6:30pm and am asleep by 8:30-9 until 8 the next morning. But again this seems to be a very 'individual ' effect so you may be different. But if you have kids make sure they are sorted first. I am just starting my 3rd week but others have been on it a lot longer in this board and will be able to advise you on long term affects.
    • Posted

Thanks. It appears we are both new to the drug but it's a good tip to take it a bit earlier than 10 which is the time I have been taking it so far. Let's hope we both feel better soon as that's the advice they offer. If it's ok with you I may contact you in a couple of weeks to see how you are getting on as it would be good to see if we are on the same track. It's good to read other comments on the forum. I am trying to keep positive and help myself the best I can 
    • Posted

Absolutely. I can say after 2 weeks 7.5mg does not make me fel drowsy at all now and 3/4 managebly drowsy. But everyone is different, if we weren't one drug would suit us all. I have studied the effects and pharmacology of most antidepressants to the point I feel I know more about them than the go. That said I find discussing your drugs with the pharmacist very helpful as they usually know more about individual drugs than gps.

Anyway Feel free to contact me any time :-)

• Posted

Thanks, I am going to take the 15mgs tonight as 7.5mgs does not seem to be shifting my depression. I no it's only a week but from what I have read the 15 mg is the starting dose. I would be reluctant to go up so I am hoping the 15mg will do the trick. I start a new part time job in January and want to be in good shape to enjoy the job. I will contact you in a couple of weeks and we can see how we are getting on and hope things have improved. I have read some people take mirtazapine as a sleep aid and swear by it they take 7.5mg in general 
    • Posted

Hi Teresa I am new to this site but unfortunately not new to depression after suffering with post natal depression after my 2nd child 21 years ago. I have had long periods of stability without medication so don't' worry you can get better. Regarding Mirtazapine I have only been on it 8 weeks but started at 15mgs, after being on another antidepressant for 8 years.I was reviewed by my Gp after 4 weeks and complained off feeling like a zombie and didn't' feel safe to drive, I also had other side effects but on the whole he said there were some positives and he advised to continue and see him again in 4 weeks. Well I am just 4 weeks on I still have occassional zombie like feeling but they have reduced and I am back driving again. Try sticking with it, it has certainly helped me with depression and my sleep pattern. I keep a diary of how i am feeling each day to help me when I see gp.

• Posted

Thanks Diane for your comments and I will  give mirtrazipine  a good try as I know I can't do this without medication. I tried herbal for a few days but I realised once you have the chemical imbalance it's the only way to improve what's gone wrong! Only just into my second week so I am waiting to feel the improvement. I am slightly better than I was last week. I hope things are going well for you and you have come out the other side! It's good to talk with others on this forum  it certainly helps me 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.