7.5mgs of mirtazapine

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have just started taking mirtazapine 7.5mg my gp started me on a low dose and in a weeks time I will increase to 15mg. So far I feel very tired. I just can't wait to feel normal again and for the lowness to leave me. Can anyone offer me any advice ? 

0 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I've just started taking this at the same dose. Cut my 15mg pills in half to see how I go. I'm on day 2 now. Snaping at my kids this morning but apologised. I'm crying too. Have been able to go a few days without crying. I've been crying everyday since February. Sleeping better but weird dreams. Feel tired but tired all the time anyway...
    • Posted

Feeling quite triggery too, had an argument with a friend yesterday (she's been annoying me for months) & with a woman in the phone this morning...I know it's the meds, got to get worse to get better for a while. 
    • Posted

Depression and anxiety can have the effect on people.

I have read that Mirtazaoine takes affect quicker than other AD meds. You should feel a difference after about a week or so. If not maybe the dose needs to go up or you need a different med.

A word of warning, Mirt can make you very tired or even feel sedated. As you have kids (you never said how old they are?) you should make sure they are sorted and safe in bed (especially if they are young) before taking the your med. Also you should take it as early in the evening as possible to help avoid as much of the next day drowsyness as possible.

• Posted

Yeah I know had 20years of it! I've been taking it at 8pm when they go to bed. Yes it does seem to work quickly, having more sleep it seems. Thanks for the tip, maybe I'll start at 6pm & go to bed at 8 so I get 10hrs sleep, unbroken sleep would help me loads. 

I'm someone who can handle sedation. When I was on 100mg of sertraline, I was able to take up to 30mg of temazepam & still not sleep very well..scary what these different drugs do to the brain. Could have been a form of complex PTSD though. Psychiatrist disputed that though because I could still go out in public. Well he wasn't there when I was spinning out in the supermarket worried about bumping into people, not being able to go to work for the same reasons & having flash backs. I'm just glad I can still "function" to a socially acceptible level. 

• Posted

I hate that. Just because you can get by sometimes or in some situations people assume there is nothing wrong or worse that your making it up. What they don't see are the dark times when you can't cope, can't carry on or have a panic attack. And they certainly don't hear of feel the dark intruding thoughts experianced by many depressed people. Fine on the outside does not meen fine on the inside, it's just that some of us are better at hiding it than others.
    • Posted

Totally. I mask mine with humour & self deprication.

These doctor just want to shove you in a box "I see lots of people & you have x traits along with YZ". I just want to scream at them. Look at my medical record & listen to me. I'll just keep muddling through & be grateful for webiste like this & the people who post on it. Not that I'd wish anyone else to go through this crap, but you know what I mean.

• Posted

I completly agree. I would also also that it would be nice if the doctors actually had knowledge of the medication they are prescribing. The affect they have, how they work and the side affects.

GP's in my experiance have a very low knowledge of mental health and mental health medication. I honestly don't think many GP's know the difference between an ssri and a TCA let alone an NaSSa. 

• Posted

I am seeing my gp tomorrow for a two week follow up and she is lovely but I agree she prob has no background knowledge on what she has prescribed me. I will prob have to rely on myself and this forum to help me. So far I feel no benefits and now on 10 th day. I am waiting for the two week miracle and hope each day I will feel somewhat better. The trouble with feeling like this it consumes your thoughts and I wish it didn't 
    • Posted

I hope the med helps soon. Intrussive dark thoughts are horrible and difficult to deal. Try and train yourself to balance the negative thoughts with a good one. For example, I often remind/relive past events and situations that were negative or some kind of failure. These thoughts reinforce the negative feelings you may already have about yourself, the world or life generally. Recognise when these thoughts come in, see them for what they are (thoughts which are just your 'opinion', or old history etc) and make a concious effort to balance that recalling a positive event or achievment. This is hard for some but everyone has a memory in life were they felt they done well, achieved something or done something positive. Maybe you got a good grade at school, won something, swam your first legnth at a pool, gave birth (which is hard!) to wonderful children or maybe you just managed to go outside for the first time in weeks. Small positive things matter so hold on to them and remember them. Remind yourself of them as often as you can. 

• Posted

I have a lot to be thankful for in my life and as you say I try to think back on how I was a few days ago and think well I couldn't have done that last week that way it makes me realise things are getting better. I have not been eating well over the last week and tonight I have eaten some sausage and mash! So that's a good thought
    • Posted

I do like bangers n mash smile

Mirt is well placed to help with sleep problems and low apitite as it is sedating and a known appitite stimulant so hopefully its the one for you.

Are you up to full dose yet?

• Posted

Still haven't got the munchies. When do they start?? I'm waiting with baited breathe hoping my appetite returns. My mind is saying "bacon on toast"...my body is saying "no thank you"!! 

I am so going to enjoy that when/if the mirt helps my appetite but 9 weeks in and no improvements on that. 

• Posted

I started on the 15 mg on Saturday. I feel slightly better and I hope I can stay on this amount. I take it about8-9 and sleep reasonably well and feel okay in the morning but start yawning about 3 pm! Not sure if anyone follows corrie but Steve macdonald has it and he has not told anyone. It's a lonely old place as unless you have had depression how the heck can you understand how awful it feels. That's why this forum is helpful. Can support each other in a small way. 
    • Posted

That's a really good tip. I have those invasive thoughts too. Really evil blind rage ones about smashing things up & hurting my dogs! Took one to the groomers yesterday so they're fine but I dont want to spend much time with them which is sad because of the Oxytocin effect. I'm very sensitive to noises when Im ill. 

This Mirtazipine is making me feel more isolated, I don't have many people to call on as it is but now I'm feeling housebound in the evenings because of the drowsiness from taking it between 6-8pm. I'm sure it's just ntemporary. 

• Posted

I hope you are feeling a bit better today. Don't let mirt isolate you though. I woke up this morning feeling there was a long day ahead so went for a walk for 45 mins. It did me good. I quite like the evenings as I put the telly on and relax watching boring tv! I try to plan something for everyday. If you have dogs you prob walk them I am guessing. It's horrid this depression all thing you just got to keep going. People tell me you will get better it takes time I am happy to chat on this forum cos we all need to help each other 
    • Posted

Hi dinky, sorry I have not been on. The isolation can be caused by depression. I often flip between feeling anger with violent thoughts to feeling really demoralised and wanting to hide away in bed and be left alone. I think they are just different sides of the same coin, ie depression and stress. A kind of fight or flight response. It's natural to feel angry and it's important to accept that. Once accepted you can manage it better. How are you feeling today?
    • Posted

Hi Teresa, how are you getting on with mirt now? I am going to ask to come off it. I still feel drowsy but it's affecting my memory really which is causing problems at work. Also I am very achy since being on it. Could be coincidence but the mornings are hard enough getting up without the pains in my limbs.

How are you feeling now? Has mirt helped you?

• Posted

Morning tony, I am having up and down days so it's hard to say. I certainly don't have the awful horrid days I had before I was on it. The anxiety seems to have settled but I get strange thoughts like I can't cope. I don't like being on my own and I don't know why. I think it's been better since I increased it to 15 mgs. I know there is a long way to go though which gets me down. 

If you come off it you would you switch to something else? That's the trouble although we talk on this forum there must be lots of people who have no problems taking it. Perhaps the side effects would improve if you increased the dose and got you through this difficult patch 

• Posted

I know its the anxiety & depression but I have trust issues & don't feel like any of my friends are genuine. You know, toxic people who bad mouth you behind your back. Got a "friend" like that. Really two-faced person. I've cut contact back with her.

I keep getting in bad relationships with men but I'm learning to trust myself more now & listen to my intuition. (I've got low self esteem, been told this by a few therapists). The more bad situations you get in the worse it becomes. Self fullfilling phrophesy etc. I had a brief fling with someone recently & chose him because I wasn't that interested & knew I wouldn't get hurt. An emotional buffer to get over an ex, but my alarms bells went off at the start & I continued & got nothing out of it. He wasn't looking for a relationship either...intimacy issues!! The attention did help me forget about the suicidal thoughts for a while.

I've fallen out with a friend on Sunday & she told me not to contact her anymore. It's fine because she's been annoying me for months. Not know her for very long, around a year. She was basically telling me to think positive all the time, which of course i've been trying to do but sometimes meds need to be taken.  Herbs weren't picking up my mood. She was telling me not to trust the medical profession... She has her own mental health issues & is quite immature for her age.  The things she told me about I already knew & actually told her about them a few weeks ago & no acknowledgement from her about this fact. Very odd behaviour.

You know how it is when people tell you to get over it basically. So offensive, you don't tell people to get over any other illness that needs treatment. Yes you can work on all the negative self talk but the suicidal ideation wasn't going away.

I sent 7 years in a relationship with a guy who was like that. The father of my kids & one of my main causes of stress is worrying about my kids being with this idiot. He has them 3 nights a week & I feel guilt, shame & fear about having kids with him in the first place. 

They say depression can be caused by misplaced anger etc.

(sorry if this was a bit too jackanory, I ned t find myself a therapist) Thanks for talking to me.

• Posted

Yes I do wlak the dogs when I'm not crying...it's a bit embarassing going out in public at the moment. I've been walking them in the dark if I'm feeling tearful. thanks for talking to me,
    • Posted

We call those type of Friends a 'Fren-enemy' lol I cleared my life of toxic people some time ago, including family members that seemed intent on causing trouble. 

Over the years I have come to recognise the suttle difference between real negative emaotions born out of real issues from depressive negative emaotions which tend to be born out of a negative assumtion rather than actual facts. For example if someone daoesn't call or email me its easy to assume they just dont like me anymore. Of course in reality I dont know the reason they didn't call, maybe they or a family member was ill or maybe they were so busy they forgot or maybe 'life' just got in the way and they forgot. The point being 'negative assumtions' are part of depression and though it is hard try to recognise the difference from a fact based emotion from an assumption based one. You can't stop negative feelings they are natural and human, but by listening to them and understanding what they really are makes them much easier to manage.

I'm sorry you have trouble with friends. Some once said to me if you can count your true friends on more than one hand some of them are not true. I was told that as a kid but it wasn't until adulthood I realised its menaning and truth.

Keep in touch Dinky_dee, Reach out on these forums to and connect to people who understand.

• Posted

Hi Theresa, the main problem is I work in IT and I need to be able to think or a lot of users are affected by problems. I will probably try another snri as the ssri's didn't work well for me.

I'm glad you feel better on 15mg. You will probably find after another week of 15 the depression improves further. I hope it does and hopefully the can't cope days will stop.

• Posted

Your second paragraph is so right. My CBT therapist said exactly the same thing to me when I started treatment. I have finished treatment and I have to keep telling myself where is the evidence they don't care, and that there could be a genuine reason why they don't make contact. It is hard to do but with pursivation it certainly does make management much easier.
    • Posted

It is hard to do at first but with pratice and perserverance it can become second nature. I think some people do this naturally but others need to work on it. Keep it up and remember when you are feeling low we are all here to listen and help.
    • Posted

I'm all too aware of the depression & anxiety perpetuating these emotions & I'm responsible for my own behaviour. I'm a realist on the whole & realise that everyone is just so busy they don't have time to call etc. It's still hurtful when my sister forgot my sons's birthday a few weeks ago & when my brother didn't call me after a sexual assault earlier this year. When my (retired) Dad promised he'd come & see us then nothing was mentioned at the time of the due visit. I know I could make more of an effort but they know that i'm on my own with 2 kids & have little support.

Some people just purposely go out of their way to p*** you off like my mother & my ex who was a manipulative mind game playing nefarious a**hole. Some poeple feed off your emotions & get a kick from seeing you in a dark hole. It makes them feel better about their lives for about 2minutes.

I've spoken to a couple of guys at work today who seem friendly & have been in bad situations etc but I'm chastising myself because I don't trust people & I'm new to this store so don't want to look like an idiot.

Emis Moderator comment: I have edited this post due to the swearing. These are open forums so as per the T&Cs please do not use offensive language in posts otherwise they may be deleted.

• Posted

Oh yes I'm a realist & try to "rise above" the negative BS that my mind churns out. Constantly reminding myself of my own behaviour in situations. I'm quite anyalitical in that sense. Psychology is my favourite subject. 
    • Posted

I have just been using the tactic all my friends from work know I am free to meet up anytime during the day for coffee but I feel I am always the one who asks if anyone is free. I did it last week and nobody was available determined not to do it again so I have taken my frustration out on some windows they are all clean and sparkly. I do feel good about what I have achieved. Just got to wait and see if hubby notices. Nice to talk. X
    • Posted

As the old say goes, you can choose your friends but not your family. Which is a shame as I think close family have a big impact on your own well being.
    • Posted

Some people are in their own little groups and thats just how they are. Just remember you are not responsible for their behaviour. 
    • Posted

How are you doing? Did your Gp change your medication ? I have now completed  2 weeks on mirt and having up and down days still feel bit zonked just hoping it will pass a bit. 
    • Posted

Oh wow, we can all talk about wanting to kill ourselves but lets not swear hey....we all adults on here. I'll try & tone it down. 
    • Posted

Hi Teresa, I stopped taking the Mirtazapine now. I reduced over a few days and then stopped, last one was on Saturday. I feel crappy but I am able to 'think' again, my memory function has returned, my appitite is back to normal (but I need to shift the 2kg I put on in just 3 weeks) and I am no longer half asleep the whole time. Defenitly not the drug for me. I am going back to the gp this week to see what is recommended now.

Sorry to hear your still not right. Have you managed to get up to 30mg yet? I think that is the dose to start getting the full anti-depressant effects. I wish I could help with the zonked feeling, I was downing coffee and red bull all day.

• Posted

I know its a bit odd. I could understand if you were swearing at some one. And lets be honest the odd swear word can be very useful when expressing feelings of anger and frustration.

That said, we all ticked the box agreeing to the site rules.

• Posted

Feeling much better the last couple of days so fingers crossed. Two weeks on mirt now so they prob taking effect. Good luck seeing your GP I hope he can help you with a course that will get you over the depression. I am glad you didn't get any side effects from the withdrawal 
    • Posted

I don't understand why my posts have been deleted. Re-read the rules etc..that's what I hate about forums, all the censorship.
    • Posted

Glad you're feeling OK. I'm on day 9 & feeling very weird today, like I could fly into a rage or something worse..
    • Posted

Inbox the mod that deleted them and ask. You don't have to agree with them but if you know why you can then a least avoid it in the future.
    • Posted

Yeah I thought of doing that but can't see how to do it?
    • Posted

Good question, normally on forums you can just click on the mods name but I have been looking on here and haven't been able to figure it out either :-/
    • Posted

I have increased to 15 mg for about 10 days now and hoping to stay on that dose if poss although I think most people take 30mg 
    • Posted

Mainly tiredness and still waking early. About 4-5 am. I listen to the radio. I have not had the hunger though that everyone talks about. 
    • Posted

Do you sleep better though? I'm having weird dreams. You're lucky to not be getting the munchies!
    • Posted

Sometimes I dream but I try not to let it worry me. I worry a bit about the level of sedation it gives and feel it must be addictive ( like taking a sleeping tablet every night) 
    • Posted

I know what you mean. I was worried for a time that I may become addicted to Temazepam but fortunately I don't have addictive tendancies & 30 tablets have lasted me a year. 

I took 15mg last night & my skin was crawling all night : ( I had to take a couple of antihistamines. I get a hint of sore mouth too & my legs heave felt like they may burst. I don't think I'm going to continue with this drug.

• Posted

Pharmasist has advised me to com eoff this drug.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.